• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

chris wood

Youth Team
Had to write this as i and many around me were so impressed with Lukes display today. The same people who would slate him last season. So im writing to eat humble pie and give credit where its due.
Last season it was all to easy to join in with the boo boys... But that was then.
Ok have seen it coming during pre season Mr Prosser you have come on leaps and bounds. When the players were being released at the end of last season many shrimpers were surprised to see you kept on. But you have to hand it to you and in a big way for working hard at the weaknesses in your game and turning things around.
This attitude in a player is just what us fans love and its clear that Mr Sturrock has seen potential combined with a willingness to learn.
So into todays game where as we all could see just how much hard work gets rewarded with arguably the man of the match performance. Solid defending, last ditch covering tackles, winning headers, and a great delivery crossing from deeper positions, constantly talking on the pitch....
All good stuff I can only shout keep it up son and as andy gray would say 'take a bow son!'.

Got to say he was good today. I dont consider myself a boo boy but I can't stand poor footballers at top levels and I think he was that last season.

One swallow dosent make a summer but I agree he was good today. He defended well which was true of the whole defence and I felt his distribution has got better. Hereford offered very little in fairness but I hope he carrys on for this positive start.

Got to agree with the sentiments already expressed in this thread. I was one of Prosser's biggest critics and was bewildered when he was offered a new deal. But he was an absolute revelation at left back today and head and shoulders MOM for me. Well played Luke and keep it up son.

Agree with that, wasn't impressed last season but today was different, some of the crosses 1st half were fantastic. Keep it up!

certainly my man of the match, and definitely a player I thought was part of the dead wood from last season, one good match doesnt make him the next big thing but a very pleasant surprise from the lad, hope he keeps it up

He had a good start to the season last year as well, but then had a shocker against his old club and it took him a while to get his confidence back. As I said then, there's a good player potentially there. Whilst he can do "a job" there, I don't see him as a left-back and am struggling to understand why he and Barker don't switch. Could maybe understand if you wanted an experienced head alongside Mohsni but Bilel is busy marauding up front!

I have always defended Prosser, can see the god player inside him. Was well chuffed with his performance today, Sturrock obviously can see what Prosser is all about, which is why he has another contract

Great attitude to come back from last season when he was so nearly shipped out for good.

We forget how young he is, and it looked like he has really learned and improved over the summer - another good piece of man management by Luggy!

One of the senior players told me last week that when he joined a year ago, was literally a bundle of nerves. The player went on to say how much he has matured in 12 months and learned so much, so very quickly too. They said he is a really nice lad, model pro, doesn't moan, always smiling and great to around.

Good on the lad, I wasn't a favourite of his last season, but fair play, he has displaced Gilbert on merit and hope he goes from strength to strength.

I have said on here before that Prosser and Gilbert really worried me, before the game I was a tad happier as they were both competing for the same place and it did mean only one of them on the pitch at a time
well after yesterdays performance by Prosser, he can keep Gilbert out of the team all season, a fine performance, not the most attacking of Full backs but he certainly defended well.

Think it showed ps faith in him after involving him so much pre season and also being named captain. He obviously likes and trusts him. Good management luggy!

Prosser was great yesterday, as was Phillips who worked very well with Barker. Clohessy was solid also. I know it is early to say this but i feel far happier with the whole of our back line that played yesterday than i did at any point last season.Its also good to see we have a bit of depth in the defense in the above players as well as Leonard, Gilbert, Mohsni and of course Coughlan who in my view will only be used in cases of emergency.

Yeah luke had a great game yesterday, but lets not forget the many dodgy games he has had and see how he performs in say the next ten games.

Also hereford were no world beaters ,so lets see how he fairs against a stronger outfit.

Yeah luke had a great game yesterday, but lets not forget the many dodgy games he has had and see how he performs in say the next ten games.

Also hereford were no world beaters ,so lets see how he fairs against a stronger outfit.

He performed well against Norwich too

Prosser was great yesterday, as was Phillips who worked very well with Barker. Clohessy was solid also. I know it is early to say this but i feel far happier with the whole of our back line that played yesterday than i did at any point last season.Its also good to see we have a bit of depth in the defense in the above players as well as Leonard, Gilbert, Mohsni and of course Coughlan who in my view will only be used in cases of emergency.

Defensively we looked excellent yesterday and I felt that Luke had his best game in a Blues shirt , if Barker fit for Tuesday I'd keep the back five intact.

If there is any humble pie left its my turn next. I have to admit he looked a totally different player to the one that gave me palpitations last season, well done luke and keep it up.:thumbsup:

Did he really have that many dodgy games last year? He had an absolute shocker against Port Vale and certainly lost his way after that. Most of last season he was a squad player only playing due to injuries and suspension. When you consider that Gilbert was our first choice left back last year he did no worse than him at the end of last season

He was by no means the only Southend player to have poor games last year.

I sit in S block so always have a good view of the left back in the 1st half and it was clear from the start that he was far more confident than last year. Consequently his decision making was far better and he was not being rushed into clumsy challenges or simply hoofing the ball away.

Paul Sturrock has a lot of experience at this level and has clearly seen potential in Luke and worked with him. Making him captain in some of the warm up games was obviously a great move.

Last season is done with so lets look forward. Luke may or may not prove to be our solution for left back this season but I think he should be commended for all the hard work he has put in. I don't expect our players to be world beaters but will always have time for those are are prepared to work on their game and give their all.

Hopefully he can do a similar makeshift job at LB to Che Wilson during the promotion years. I seem to remember that Che wasn't attack minded or even a natural left footer but was solid and reliable (apart from his nightmare against Blackpool at the Millennium Stadium) and was like Prosser I understand, a really popular member of the squad.

Back