• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Luton Town 1-1 Southend Utd (Southend win 4-2 on penalties)

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
We're still in a cup competition. Didn't see that one coming but it makes a pleasant surprise after our disallowed goal on Saturday. Views comments whinges etc, get then all down here.

Great to get the win in the end. As soon as I realised we were heading towards penalties I had a horrible feeling.

It was a steady, but unremarkable performance in all honesty. Nothing sticks up front at all and we’re in desperate need of a target man. But Macca made a real difference when he came on and I really think that we’ll improve drastically if we get him back in form. He was one of the first names on the teamsheet towards the end of last season and we need that level of performance back, as he was getting a goal or assist virtually every game. Hopefully this will build towards him getting his mojo back.

Hats off to Oxley for the penalty saves. Thought Mantom was decent and Bwomono had another good game.

SOUTHEND United are through to the last 16 of the Checkatrade Trophy after a penalty shoot-out success at Luton Town tonight.

More...

Very pleasantly surprised
I thought defence overall was pretty solid and yearwood showed
Signs of getting back to his form ..but as noted we desperately need
A target man

Who is left in the competition we could face?

That's a good question, Maldon.

Here's the list :-

Chelsea U21
Peterborough United
Northampton Town
Cheltenham Town
Portsmouth
Bristol Rovers
Oxford United or Tottenham Hotspur U21 (playing 18th December)

I think the draw is now a free for all, so we can get any of these home or away.

Thanks Andy T think the draw is this Saturday probably get Pompey but hope we get someone we can beat

Watched on ifollow. Thought we defended quite well. Turner won some very good tackles, Elvis was good, Hyam and Mantom were ok, Dru did some good things and Theo was ok ish. The down side, McCoulsky was pretty useless, Hendrie gave the ball away quite a lot and Oxley was still stuck on his line which made us look vulnerable to any crosses in the 6 yard box again. A draw was probably a fair result as neither side really created a lot. Obviously happy to win but the fact Luton made so many changes means we shouldn't get over excited.
I can't understand why SCP didn't bring Hutchinson on for the ineffectual McCoulsky earlier. But a win is a win . Wembley here we come.

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell was a happy man after winning his first ever penalty shoot out as a manager.

More...

I thought Dru looked like he had his mind on the move to a bigger club in January - just seemed distracted/disinterested. A win though is a win and potential change in fortune - McLaughlin deflected goal; when the ref made them re-take 1st Pen I thought here we go! We just need a new frontman on loan in Jan - we knock McClousky but he is not a target man and Theo is just not up to it!

Back