• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Luton Town 1-1 Southend Utd (Southend win 4-2 on penalties)

That's a good question, Maldon.

Here's the list :-

Chelsea U21
Peterborough United
Northampton Town
Cheltenham Town
Portsmouth
Bristol Rovers
Oxford United or Tottenham Hotspur U21 (playing 18th December)

I think the draw is now a free for all, so we can get any of these home or away.

Don't think the next draw is regional.

Can anyone confirm?

Good that we have something to cheer about. We got lucky with a deflected goal otherwise we never looked like scoring. That really was the difference between the two teams. Luton made wholesale changes and have a very strong in depth squad. It was basically their second string against near enough our best available eleven. Our injury disaster means that the team almost picks itself and at least five of the starters tonight would have been nowhere near the starting eleven if we had everyone available. Great that we got through but need to play better if we are to trouble Pompey on Saturday.

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell was pleased to goalkeeper Mark Oxley play a crucial part in tonight’s Checkatrade Trophy win at Luton Town.

More...

.... and Theo is just not up to it!

Watching on ifollow, I thought Theo looked livelier and more on it than McCoulsky if it's a straight choice between the two at the moment. Neither played well enough for me, particularly the latter.

However, Theo desperately looked like someone with no confidence. Away from goal he showed some neat touches and half decent movement, but almost looked scared to try something adventurous and carry the ball into the box and try a shot or gamble and get on the end of something.

Well now I know SCP comes on here. He won't listen to the fans. I think he would do the opposite of what we said just to make his point he is the manager.

Quote with regards to Oxley

Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 07.50.28.png

Well now I know SCP comes on here. He won't listen to the fans. I think he would do the opposite of what we said just to make his point he is the manager.

Quote with regards to Oxley

View attachment 6689

I agree with the comment but its not anyone's job to explain themselves to idiots.

Please re-read my no.18 comment on the Oxley/Bishop thread !!
Ox was an outstanding player-of-the year last season behind decent centre-halves esp Turner and Ferdinand.Moore has done pretty well this season but is inexperienced .Coming for crosses ?People seem to forget how Bentley used to flounder at that.

The draw for the next round (last 16) is regionalised, either North or South, but after that when the competition reaches the last 8 (quarter-fiinals) it is am open draw for all 8 teams with the first drawn team at home and both the QF's and the SF's are still one leg only and straight to penalties if a draw after 90 minutes. However the Final goes to ET if a draw after 90 mins and then pens if still drawn after 120 mins. Hope this helps!

Well at least I have seen a win at Luton, that comes after a win at Gillingham in the same season. Its rare to even see a goal for us at Luton, so to those of you who will dismiss it as Luton's reserves......If, as some of you are now claiming, injuries are no excuse. Then Luton making changes is no excuse. You cant have it both ways.

Well done Ox......Who said shot stopping isn't the most important bit?..... Not just the pens, great save, come out well for a 50/50 and even a good two fisted punch. That all lead to the 121 chanting his name at the end, which might well be the most important event for our club for the rest of the season.

And no, Saturdays first goal was never the keepers fault.

At the other end of the pitch we have finally ended the myth that was McCoulsky. Some of us who had actually watched the games could never understand why their were demands for the likes of Hopper to be dropped because of his two goals v Brentford.

At one stage it looked like De ja veux. We were the tidy boxer without the Luton punch. On comes McL, looks lively and then proves the only certainty in football if you don't shoot you will never score.

Another one who has looked better in the last few games is Hendrie, despite what some say about his passing he put some really strong tackles in last night. So well done he is another one we will need over the next 6 months so lets make sure we get behind him.

Finally the officials....Apparently it balances out over a season. mmmm. The missed handball, the back pass where the ref glanced at the lino with a "I don't want to give it look". Then we have the pens. Their lad did run up before Ox was properly ready but the ref could have just shouted as we were hardly sitting watching River plate v Boca Juniors. Then he clenches his buttocks tight and hold his whistle aloft and pointed to all sides of the ground, like a test match bowel with 5 wickets......Yes mate if we are sad enough to be in Luton on a Wednesday night in December watching a check-a-trade match. Then we obviously know the f****** rules.

Last edited:
I agree with the comment but its not anyone's job to explain themselves to idiots.

Not quite sure where you are going with the comment, my point was THE SCP wording and him digging his heels in which is fair play. I like Oxley so there is no criticism towards him or SCP from myself.
I think his statement just proves if anything that fans don't really have much say, despite all our moans and groans.

#NoOffenceIntended

Oxley 7 unconvincing during the 90 but superb in pen shoot out
Elvis 8 drove forward really well , our best attacking force + tackled well . M-O-M
Turner 7 much better , 3 at back suits him , so much more commanding
White 7 steady , reliable , unspectacular , great player 100% commitment
Moore 7 couple of errors but did well and good distribution throughout
Hendrie 5 There is a player in there , but seems so unhappy at mom , zero confidence
Mantom 7 bossed midfield, controlled + probing
Hyam 6 neat and tidy , but needs to impress more. Maybe too similar to Mantom?
Yearwood 6 Frustrating. Brilliant player but needs to learn when and when not to showboat
Robinson 7 Run the channels really well , zero service but chased everything
McCoulski 6 Doesnt deserve critisism , put a shift in , needs confidence and some service

McLaughlin 8 Crazy that he didnt start, Should play down left with licence to attack attack attack
Hutchison 6 Great prospect , didnt look out of place
Kightly 7 One touch , one goal !

Well at least I have seen a win at Luton, that comes after a win at Gillingham in the same season. Its rare to even see a goal for us at Luton, so to those of you who will dismiss it as Luton's reserves......If, as some of you are now claiming, injuries are no excuse. Then Luton making changes is no excuse. You cant have it both ways.

A good outcome nevertheless, but you did not see a win. You saw a draw.

You also saw a convincing penalty shoot out victory to decide who progresses in the event of a drawn match.

It must be a concern that almost our strongest team could not actually beat such a changed Luton XI, but for now enjoy the success and hope Oxley's performance gives him the confidence to return to the excellent standard of goalkeeping he obviously displayed previously and equally obviously hasn't been displaying of late.

It must be a concern that almost our strongest team could not actually beat such a changed Luton XI, but for now enjoy the success and hope Oxley's performance gives him the confidence to return to the excellent standard of goalkeeping he obviously displayed previously and equally obviously hasn't been displaying of late.

What is wrong with people?

Both teams utilised their full first team squads. Luton opted to rotate and rest theirs, Southend had no choice but to play who was fit!

Just because Luton’s was by choice does not make it a second string compared with our full strength side!!!

Arguably it was two sets of second string, although granted we did have 3/4 that MOST would consider first choice, but who is to say which of the Luton side their supporters would argue should or shouldn’t be included within their first choice side?

All said and done both sides fielded a side they best thought would give them the chance of winning.

Again arguably by looking at our “missing” list compared with theirs and looking at the age of our bench compared with theirs, it could be said we are in a far stronger position long term than they are.....arguably!!!

Watched this on ifollow and another awful refereeing display! luckily it didn't cost us this time. The freekick that led to their goal, the backpass that wasn't given, the handball just outside the area that wasn't given and the 1st penalty debacle! All of these were clear to me on ifollow without replays etc. You can forgive missing maybe one of these but all of these key moments could have sent us out of this competition.

What is wrong with people?

Both teams utilised their full first team squads. Luton opted to rotate and rest theirs, Southend had no choice but to play who was fit!

Just because Luton’s was by choice does not make it a second string compared with our full strength side!!!

Arguably it was two sets of second string, although granted we did have 3/4 that MOST would consider first choice, but who is to say which of the Luton side their supporters would argue should or shouldn’t be included within their first choice side?

All said and done both sides fielded a side they best thought would give them the chance of winning.

Again arguably by looking at our “missing” list compared with theirs and looking at the age of our bench compared with theirs, it could be said we are in a far stronger position long term than they are.....arguably!!!

You often make good points but can spoil it by being unnecessarily rude about people who don't share your views.

Are you really trying to tell me that naming a starting line up which included exactly zero of their starting line up from their last League game, which saw them to 3rd place in the League, was designed to give them the best chance of winning ? Really ?

Just because it was an entire second string doesn't make it a "second string" ? Really?

They chose a side to give them the best chance of winning their next League match ..... and who can blame them. Would that we were in a situation to prioritise similarly.

Back