• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Luton Town vs Southend Utd, Checkatrade Trophy Round 2

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the Round 2 of the EFL Trophy – Southern Section game of the 2018/19 season and Chris Powell’s first full season since his return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers

The Round 2 match is away against Luton Town.

efl checkatrade_trophy.png
image.pngVS.pngSUFC.jpg
It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Kenilworth Road, listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow.

With over 10 players out injured here is Chris Powell's Southend United Checkatrade EFL Trophy Away Team to face Luton Town.

DtrHMstW0AAhylD.jpg
The Kenilworth Road pitch is ready for action at 7.45pm Wednesday 5th December, after heavy rain this afternoon, it looks like we are going to have light showers for tonight’s game.

DtrANg9XQAAWj3e.jpg

The weather forecast for today at Kenilworth Road

Luton Town v SUFC weather.png

League Positions Last Season

10th (2017/18 Season) League One Southend United
2nd (2017/18 Season) League Two Luton Town (Promoted)

League Positions Current Season

3rd (2018/19 Season) (League 1) Luton Town
14th (2018/19 Season) (League 1) Southend United

Recent League Position Change

Luton Town v SUFC Positions.png
Previous Five Meetings

Luton Town 2-0 Southend United (L1 21/08/18 Att. 9,086)
Southend United 1-0 Luton Town (L2 25/04/15 Att. 10,730)
Luton Town 2-0 Southend United (L2 11/10/14 Att. 9,238)
Southend United 3-1 Luton Town (FAC2 29/11/08 Att. 4,111)
Southend United 2-0 Luton Town (L1 8/03/08 Att. 8,241)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 22
Draws: 16
Luton Town Wins: 32

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Managers Pre-match Views

Luton Town

Nathan Jones talks to the Luton Town OS before the game

The Hatters welcome Southend United to Kenilworth Road this evening as Nathan Jones' side go in search of a place in the last 16 of this season's Checkatrade Trophy.

Under his guidance, the Town reached the semi-final stage in his first full campaign here, before being knocked out in the third-round last season by Peterborough United – who at the time had an attack spearheaded by former forward Jack Marriott.

The competition has seen some of the better games at Kenilworth Road during that time, and with any hope tonight's game will be no different.

Southend have got decent pedigree in the competition – although they've never lifted the trophy – finishing as runners up in 2003/04, 2004/05 and 2012/13.

The Gaffer Says:

"Of course we want to make progress in the competition. Every competition we enter we look to make progress, playing the right way, the team, everything we do. It's another good test against a Chris Powell side who are a very difficult side to play against, it'll be a real tough game.

"It was a real tough game in the league, it was a strange game actually because I felt like we could have won by more because of the chances we had on the counter, but it wouldn't have told the story of the game because it was such a tough one.

"There were probably margins in it, but we took our chances early on and then we had a lot on the counter, but they're a tough side and it'll be a tough game."

On the side he will pick tonight: "We're looking very strong squad wise, we're not that far off a full squad to pick from. Alan McCormack is the only one that is out. So we have got a good squad to choose from which is really good really, because we have got some tough games coming up, Christmas fixtures coming up.

"But after this week we have got a little bit of respite and hopefully to get a few back, so when we go into the Christmas period we will be strong numbers wise and strength wise, but we want to get through this week. We will make changes [tonight], how many will be determined on what will win us the game. There will be one or two that need the minutes, one or two that are pushing, that are so close to the first team that need their opportunity as well."

Full test here

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2018/december/match-preview-for-luton-town-vs-southend-united-on-05-dec-18/

Southend United

Chis Powell talks to the Southend United OS before the game

Chris Powell on Saturday’s substitutions, injuries and Round Two of the Checkatrade Trophy.

I’ll be honest with you, I’ve had to pick myself up because I’ve got a bit of man flu or whatever you want to call it.

Managing is fine lines and our crowd and our supporters have been brilliant to me ever since I came to the club. On Saturday I had to make some big decisions, and I knew one of them would be quite controversial, I knew that. Looking back at it we were in the game at 1-1, we went 2-1 down and then 3-1 down and I was going to make two changes, and in the end I went with three.

Coxy was playing well, no doubt about it. He’s my main striker now with Tom Hopper out, but I think a lot of people forgot he was carrying an injury. He took a heavy tackle in the game, of course he was playing on adrenaline and played on, I get that. But I’ve got to think about not losing yet another player, which I have for tomorrow because he hasn’t trained since.

So, in the end I went positive with three strikers as such. I knew it would cause some controversy, but I’m manager and I have to make these decisions. I know people will go with them or not, and they didn’t go with it.

Here’s the fine line – we were 3-1 down and it becomes 3-2 and everyone is thinking we’ve got a chance. We make it 3-3 and we all know it’s a legitimate goal. 100%. There’s no way that goal should have been chalked off.

So, the fine line for me and any manager, that’s what can happen. You can make changes and it can go in your favour and the team gets galvanised. All of a sudden, the momentum is with you and you could go on and get a replay or a fourth goal, who knows.

It’s the fine lines that have not been going our way this year. So what do we do? We carry on. We come out fighting and show pride in whatever we do. It was a tough one to take, but it’s gone. In the end we lost by a decision that was taken out of our hands. We wanted to be in the hat, but it's Barnsley who go to Burnley, but it’s gone now.

Now we go into the Checkatrade Trophy and I’m missing some players. Simon Cox for sure and one or two others are 50/50.

On the game at Kenilworth Road...

It’s a one-off game. They’re going pretty well. We’ve got to galvanise ourselves, we’ve got to use young players. We’ve got some good ones and they’re going to have to step-up, but if not we’re going to have to help them. We’ve got to do our best to get a result because it’s the game we’re in and the game we all love.

We picked up a morale boosting win against Scunthorpe, Barnsley was a tough one where we could have got something from it. We didn’t, and we move on. You always move on to the next game, you take it game by game.

Kenilworth Road is where we’re at tomorrow, so we’ve got to do our best to pick up a result and pick each other up.

Full test here

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2018/december/chris-powells-luton-town-preview/

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

FFS, f***ing Robinson and McCoulsky!! :Headbang::Dunce::Dim:

So these are the two out to stake their claim are they!

..... and jeez, what's Dru playing for!

Where's Bunn? Not another injury I hope. Interesting that Dru starts, I thought he'd be rested if he's not fully fit, at least it gives him a chance to put Saturday's performance behind him.

That's their reserve side isn't it? They've got some first-teamers on the bench..........just in case they need them!

Looks like it. Hylton is the only one I recognise.

Not one of those players played in their last league match.

Last edited:
All this negativity. We are going to win 3-0, and gain loads of confidence, especially the forwards, who will score

All this negativity. We are going to win 3-0, and gain loads of confidence, especially the forwards, who will score

We probably will win, but this was crying out for the younger guys to get a run for me.

We'll never learn anything about them if we don't start them in these matches.

Dissapointed and suprised at how strong this lineup is, too many players being unnecessarily risked for a game we’re still likely to lose in a competition that has dwindling interest. Dru did not look 100% fit on Saturday, why on earth is he starting when we have a much more important league game in 3 days?

I'm guessing we are playing three centre-halves as that's the plan for Saturday, thinking about it.

Back