• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

canada shrimper

Director
Has the whole world gone mad?i sit here tonight and see on one of the sports channels that the indianapolis colts  are going to pay peyton manning $98 million u.s. over the next 7 years.No one not even the great Drewe Broughton is worth that. Alex rodriguez signed a couple of weeks ago for the Yankees for a cool $22 million and there salary for this year is a mere $198 million.Where do these financiers come from and why can't we find one to take us all the way to the premier league and beyond?Yes i am sure our earnings from our cup exploits will help, but help what?to get us out of debt? that we shouldn't be in in the first place.Any way my gripe is sports proffesionals are, in my opinion paid far to much money for either running around kicking or throwing or hitting a ball.Should a salary cap be introduced in all sports?I would be interested to hear other opinions on ths matter.

There should be a salary cap in all sports. I think u'll find in baseball that all money is from tax payers,not sure tho, thats why they can attract big stars with big money. Couple seasons back, NYY were paying Derek Jeter $81m per year, i think, which IMHO is far, far too much. Some sports should look at cricket and see how much top cricketers get. MOTM award checks are only about £4k and they share it amongst the whole team.

But for football tho, i blame Jimmy Hill for the whole Football wages scenario.......

I clicked on this link hoping it was all about the classic film of the same name. "It's under the big W"

No-one ever complains at the amount of money film stars earn, yet sports stars are in the same industry as film stars, that of entertainment.

As long as people want to watch sport I'd have thought it only fair for the players to receive the fruits of their labour. The alternative is for the owners to get rich.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yorkshire Blue @ Mar. 03 2004,18:05)]No-one ever complains at the amount of money film stars earn, yet sports stars are in the same industry as film stars, that of entertainment.

As long as people want to watch sport I'd have thought it only fair for the players to receive the fruits of their labour. The alternative is for the owners to get rich.
Or the cost of watching/merchandise to come down.

But if people are stupid enough to pay it that's their problem just don't come crying when it all f**ks up!

Back