• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Magnum and Others Ratings

Magnum PI

Private Detective
Flahavan - 6 (didnt have a lot to do and looked a bit at sea at times in the second half with the wind. kicking a bit wayward)
Mulgrew - 7 (got roasted for the penalty but a little unfortunate. his delivery from free-kicks is sensational leading to the goal)
Francis - 8 (definitely getting better and more mature each week)
Clarke - 7 (strong at the back but missed some chances up front)
Barrett - 8 (storming performance at back and coming forward)
Gower - 8 (looked good today and confident - even the corners were better)
Black - 4 (waste of space today and was the one weak link - awful distribution)
McCormack - 8 (very strong in a 5 man swans midfield - needless booking)
Bailey - 8 (Usual terrierlike performance)
Kanu - 7 (improving and looks real handful - great header)
Walker 7 (played deep and handled wind and ball well - surprised he was subbed so early)

Barnard 7 (looked strong when came on but bad miss cost us 3 points)
Grant 7 (played well despite lack of time on pitch)

No real man of match for me today - maybe just Barrett !

Swans were poor and the conditions maybe stopped us winning this game.. very enjoyable though and some real pinball defending in the second half

Still think we have enough to make the playoffs

Flavs - 7
Francis - 7
Clarke - 7
Barrett - 7
Mulgrew - 6
Black - 6
McCormack - 8 MOTM
Bailey - 6
Gower - 8
Walker - 6
Kanu - 7.5

Subs
Barnard - 7
Grant - 6

Pretty good ratings Magnum ....I think we just about deserved to win and had Barny made the most of his golden chance in the second half we would of. Still A point is a point....The funny moment was Richard ( Glasgow Shrimper ) coming all the way from Scotland to see the game and missing our goal by going to the loo....Shame about the West stand being over sold and people with season tickets finding there seats sold to others...I think there were about 200 people with Knowhere to sit.. Great atmosphere though.:)

Pretty good ratings Magnum ....I think we just about deserved to win and had Barny made the most of his golden chance in the second half we would of. Still A point is a point....The funny moment was Richard ( Glasgow Shrimper ) coming all the way from Scotland to see the game and missing our goal by going to the loo....Shame about the West stand being over sold and people with season tickets finding there seats sold to others...I think there were about 200 people with Knowhere to sit.. Great atmosphere though.:)

Oh lol! Abuse will be given :D

Dont think Black was the only one guilt of gifting away possession today... there were stray passes going all over the place.

Still, not a bad performance against the supposed best team in the league by any stretch, thought we were well worth the draw and possibly could've shaded a win today... Thought we were more than the better sided in the second half.

I had a very different perspective on today's game to my usual one and fwiw these are my ratings:

Flavs - 7, good game
Franno - 7, some good interceptions, and looked very tasty in the Blues Lounge afterwards - don't like the beard though!
Clarkey - 7.5, great game, unlucky not to score....twice
Barrett - 7.5, also great, really looks much better since being given the armband proper, plus he shook my lad's hand and had a chat
Mulgrew - 7, did ok, penalty was harsh, was a slight trip but their guy did an Olympic standard dive to convince the East lino
Black - 6.5, better than last game, out of position too often
Macca - 8.5, MOM, crap booking but generally everywhere and contesting everything
Bailey - 7.5, looked as if hamstring was still a bit problematic but still did well
Gower - 7, some good runs and timely interceptions, suffered from wind effects
Walker - 6, very subdued
Robson-Kanu - 7, looked more involved and another goal
Subs:
Barney - 7, why didn't he start? Looked much more threatening
Grant - 6.5, not on long but still looked quite up for it
Ref:
The ref scores a 4/10 over fussy and being led astray by the East stand lino - was he the one from Colchester? The 4th official deserves an 8/10 for keeping a close eye on everything going on on the touchline - never seen a 4th be so involved.

Thought we played really well today and more than held our own against the leaders. You only had to see the reaction of their players and fans at the end to see they were more than happy with a draw.

If we can play ike that for the rest of a season then we have a real chance of the play offs and going up.
Swindon away is really a must win game now for us on Monday.

flavs 7.5
francis 8
barrett 8
clarke 7.5 (would have been a 9 if he had put away one of his numerous chances)
mulgrew 7 (first time ive seen him - sweet left foot but naivety in the box)
gower 7
bailey 7 - probably worked too hard in the first 60 because was walking wounded at the end
macca 7.5
black 4 (shocking)
walker 6 - first game ive seen, didn't do the simple things but had something about him
robson-kanu - 9 pure class

subs:
grant 6 (first view)- didn't really do anything
barnard 6.5 (first view) - unlucky not to score, put himself about but i thought his passing was poor

Haha poor lad - we as a group must ensure he does not live that down for a while :D

Ah leave the poor lad alone. Had the pleasure of meeting Glasgow Shrimper today and he was a very nice, pleasant young man. If it makes him feel any better I also missed the goal as I was also in the loo.
Did I hear the announcer right saying the crowd was 9,000? - thought there was more than that there

Ah leave the poor lad alone. Had the pleasure of meeting Glasgow Shrimper today and he was a very nice, pleasant young man. If it makes him feel any better I also missed the goal as I was also in the loo.
Did I hear the announcer right saying the crowd was 9,000? - thought there was more than that there

I think he said 9800 Tinks + the extra 400 in the West with no seats. :stunned:

Looked about 10,500 to me but there you go.

Would have taken a point before the game, maybe we could have won but they nearly nicked it when they hit the bar and somehow didn't score from the rebound. I thought they were quite a dirty side, there was a few a late tackles, and the pen was a pen but only because of the reaction of their player.

I think he said 9800 Tinks + the extra 400 in the West with no seats. :stunned:

Well apart from the corner of the west/north stand I could only see a few empty seats in the East Blue's.
No wonder the stewards were running up and down the gangways calling out where empty seats were. Who on earth sold season ticket seats. Know I would not have been happy if it had been me

Flahavan 6: Didn't have a lot to do, kicking not great. Who didn't see that ball was going to go right over his head that hit the bar? All too familiar sight.

Francis 7.5: Showed again exactly why he should've played more games this season. A player with immense potential and gives us something extra.

Clarke 7.5: Nearly scored and was unlucky as he was off balance. Made several last gasp challenges to thwart Swansea after others had made errors. Good performance.

Barrett 7: Better than in recent weeks and actually had a forward up against him that he out played in the air! (How anonymous was Scotland by the way)

Mulgrew 6.5: Not a great overall performance but what a set piece taker. Who was it that argued with me about him whipping the ball in? Still think he doesn't?

Black 4.5: Chubby waste of space. Refused to track back, made no impression going forward and moaned at anyone and everyone. It took Tilly 70 mins to tell him to help Francis and even then he didn't. How he stayed on for 87 mins I just do not believe. Thank God Martinez had a blank moment and took Robinson off after only an hour.

Bailey 7: Not as good as recent weeks but his energy and effort is still thoroughly important.

McCormack 6.5: Didn't think he was that great myself. Talked himself into another pointless booking and his passing was poor all game.

Gower 7: Played pretty well and was impressive in helping out Mulgrew.

Walker 6.5: Good work rate but not a great performance. Came off with an injury after only an hour, which could explain his quiet game.

Robson-Kanu 8: Great performance and explains why he is highly rated, as I had been wondering from his first few games. Showed a great touch and scored a fantastic header. Perhaps this is the first time we've had him fully fit and this is the player he is? Lets hope so.

Subs:

Barnard 6.5: Ran around as usual and caused a nuisance. Should've scored his chance though and I'm staggered he didn't. You'd have put your house on it.

Grant 6: Didn't really have much involvement in his 5 mins on the pitch. Why change it so late Tilly and what has Scannell done to you all of a sudden?

Suprised at a few of the ratings on here:

Flavs 6 - Wasn't tested as much as i thought he would be against the best side in the league

Francis 7.5 - We knew all along he had the ability, he is now really starting to show it
Clarke 7.5 - See Francis...Another all action performance
Barrett 7 - Did well enough, coped pretty well with swirling wind going round RH
Mulgrew 7 - Decent replacement for Hammell, quality set pieces, deffo a pen though even if their guy did go down easily

Gower 7 - Much better today, even put in a few good, strong challenges
Macca 6.5 - Suprised he has got such a high mark. Off the ball - Fantastic. All over the park, putting in challenges, winning headers, tracking back etc. On the ball i think i can count on one hand the amount of times he found a blue shirt today
Bailey 7 - Not quite upto usual (high) standards, we can't expect him to be our best player every game
Black 3 - Worst game in a Southend shirt, how people are giving him 5's and 6's is beyond me, can hardly remember him making a good pass all game, lost the ball time and time and time again, and then proceded to hack down whichever Swans player it was he gave the ball too. Should have been subbed much earlier

Walker 6 - Has made a good start at the club IMO but tried to do a little bit too much when he had the ball today, could do with playing the simple ball a bit more. Still, i can see the potential from the games he has played for us so far
Robson Kanu 8 - Great loan signing by Tilly, seems to score all different types of goals, finished a 1 on 1 vs Forest, drilling one in from edge of box vs Hudds and then a bullet header today. Seems to have a bit of everything in his game

Subs:

Barnard 7 - Did ok, thought Tilly timed the substitution just right
Grant 6 - Should have been Scannell coming on for Black and it should have been 15 or 20 mins earlier IMO

Referee 5 - Too fussy

Happy enough with a point though, hoping we can win on Monday now.

Today was the first time i've seen Mulgrew, Kanu and Walker...

Mulgrew - This boy could be deadly. If he can iron out his positioning and lapses of concentration he's a Premiership full-back. On the dead ball, he's brilliant and capable of whipping in a treat. Wasn't helped my Barrett playing Butler onside, but he still should've been over tight on him.

Kanu - Much of the same. Hard working, intelligent and pacy to boot. Can understand why he's in Readings first team plans.

Walker - I understand he's been impressive of late, but I didn't see an awful lot in him today. The desire is there, but he seemed to work the channels an awful lot today and run into the same space Gower was with little need for them both being out there. We looked more potent in the 25 minutes with Barnard and Kanu than we did the 65 minutes with Walker and Kanu.

Flahavan 5 - didn't make a save all game and kicking was awful. Yes there was a wind, but failed to adjust to that at all.
Francis 6 - seemed to be asleep for at least the first 15 minutes
Mulgrew 7 - caught out for the goal, but otherwise looked classy
Barrett 7 - the defence looked steadier than normal
Clarke 7 - missed 4 golden chances to score in the first half
McCormack 7 - awful on the ball - particularly first half when he barely found a Southend shirt all half but excellent off the ball
Bailey 7 - similar to McCormack but it was the second half he struggled to pick out a Southend shirt. Between them they neutralised Swansea's 3 man midfield
Gower 7 - still looks Southend most creative player
Black 5 - anonymous again
Robson-Kanu 7 - took his goal well
Walker 6 - was he injured?

Flahavan 5 - didn't make a save all game and kicking was awful. Yes there was a wind, but failed to adjust to that at all.
Francis 6 - seemed to be asleep for at least the first 15 minutes
Mulgrew 7 - caught out for the goal, but otherwise looked classy
Barrett 7 - the defence looked steadier than normal
Clarke 7 - missed 4 golden chances to score in the first half
McCormack 7 - awful on the ball - particularly first half when he barely found a Southend shirt all half but excellent off the ball
Bailey 7 - similar to McCormack but it was the second half he struggled to pick out a Southend shirt. Between them they neutralised Swansea's 3 man midfield
Gower 7 - still looks Southend most creative player
Black 5 - anonymous again
Robson-Kanu 7 - took his goal well
Walker 6 - was he injured?

I'm sorry but I reckon your score for Flavs is too low. His kicking was poor but he did try to go short when the option was available. I felt De Vries's kicking was worse. When he did have the wind behind him he often found Walker or Kanu. Although he didn't have any saves to really make, and he was caught out a bit when there was that scramble around the 6-yard box, he came off his line really well to intercept through balls, and marking him down just because he didn't have to do much is a bit unkind!

Back