• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maher - Lets....

Angell Delight

Life President
....give him a great reception on Saturday, this club means a lot to him and he's given us great service and didn't deserve what happened at Brighton - our most committed and probably best player now Freddy's gone.

I'd also hope those coming back with the Gills on Saturday get receptions akin to that of Wayne Gray - Benno, Juppy (much as he often terrified me!!) and to some extent Efe all played their part in a very successful time for Southend United and like Gray deserve a warm reception for this reason.

Also as a youngster (mid-teens) during the 90's in the old second tier I had the great privilege of supporting one of the very best goalkeepers Southend United have ever had in Simon Royce (and after "Sammy" I never thought I'd say that). QPR was one of the very few home games I missed last season so I'm not sure what kind of reception Roycey got (presumably a great one?) but I sincerely hope he is also warmly received at the weekend......with maybe a few "Woooooooaaaahhhh - it's Roycey!!!" chants to reminisce to.

;)

Above all though let's get behind the team lads, there's no way we're as bad as some would have us believe on here and although we have a huge problem to be addressed I don't anticipate us being down there for too long.

Up the Bloooooz!!!!!

:)

Last edited:
Maher always gets a good reception. In fact he usually gets the biggest cheer of the lot them when the line-up is read out, at least now that Eastwood has gone.

I'm sure that Roycie, Sodje & Benno will all get great receptions, as they deserve. True Southend legends the lot of them. In my eyes anyway. I hear Jupp is injured though.

Gutted I'm not going to be there this weekend. Of all the matches, this was the one that I was looking forward to the most.

Sodje won't recieve any reception from me. Whilst i value him for some great performances and certainly helping us gain promotion from this league, the way he acted towards the end of last season was nothing short of disgraceful considering he's a senior pro.

Sodje won't recieve any reception from me. Whilst i value him for some great performances and certainly helping us gain promotion from this league, the way he acted towards the end of last season was nothing short of disgraceful considering he's a senior pro.

either you know something or it's all speculation. he didn't play that well at the end of the season but 90% of the games i watched him play he was immense and so i would give him a hearty applause (but can't cos going to the england game!)

....give him a great reception on Saturday, this club means a lot to him and he's given us great service and didn't deserve what happened at Brighton

:)
''HEAR HEAR''
Take no notice of those tossers at Brighton Kev .
No Southend Player seems to hate losing more than Kev Maher .He took some of the worst abuse in my history of following Southend ,that I've ever heard when he first came here ,but took it like a Man and got better and better .He also stuck by us on crap wages as we nearly sunk down to the conference .
Time to show some respect and loyalty back guys .

going back to maher, i think maher has been a very loyal player, and generally loves the club. i would say he's way of the more consistant players and plays a vital role in the team. his job might go un-noticed but i think he does a fine job.

not totally sure what happened at the weekend but i will give him a big cheer on saturday.

going back to maher, i think maher has been a very loyal player, and generally loves the club. i would say he's way of the more consistant players and plays a vital role in the team. his job might go un-noticed but i think he does a fine job.

not totally sure what happened at the weekend but i will give him a big cheer on saturday.

Maher certainly doesn't go unnoticed around here I think as most of us recognise the vital role he plays in the team and the fact that we seem a lot more solid in the midfield when he is around. I too will continue to give him the best recognition I can at games and I'm sure the vast majority will do so too, apart from one or two t*ats like those at Brighton the other day.

i think his job does sometimes go un-noticed as proved by a lot on people on here after brightons game. people saying he's **** and does **** all.

i hope Roycie plays like he did for QPR against us last season... and also concedes as many!

I have been watching Southend since the late 60's. Barring a move to Suffolk for 12 years and Kevin Maher has to be one of the most loyal players we have had. Also one of the most talented midfielders i have had the pleasure to watch. I implore anyone who thinks he is passed it to watch wot he does, how much time he makes for himself. how quick his feet are, how he moves into space to receive the ball, and most important of all 9/10 times finds a team mate. Its a pity some of the other players don't move into space to receive. The man is immense. 10 years loyal service and idiots slag him off. I am sorry but this is realy getting to me

I have been watching Southend since the late 60's. Barring a move to Suffolk for 12 years and Kevin Maher has to be one of the most loyal players we have had. Also one of the most talented midfielders i have had the pleasure to watch. I implore anyone who thinks he is passed it to watch wot he does, how much time he makes for himself. how quick his feet are, how he moves into space to receive the ball, and most important of all 9/10 times finds a team mate. Its a pity some of the other players don't move into space to receive. The man is immense. 10 years loyal service and idiots slag him off. I am sorry but this is realy getting to me

Well said that man, and a quality shout from Angell Delight as well. Loyalty and service should be rewarded and I'm sure it hasn't gone unoticed by the vast majority of fans.

Maher wa our best player in Championship last season, being nearly 30 year old and never play at Championship level before, he took it like duck to water, has he was 22 or 23 year old, he would be in Rep. of Ireland squad, no problem. He also added shooting and goal threat to his games, look at Preston and Qpr game for example.

The man is immense. 10 years loyal service and idiots slag him off. I am sorry but this is realy getting to me

Agree, 100% Bigmolt.
We should give Maher a big reminder that we love him on Saturday.

Agreed 100%, from what I've heard about the post game events at the Withdean it was completely uncalled for, Kev has been different class for us over the last three or four seasons and is an undoubted Blues Legend.

He cares for this club as much as we do he deserves a massive reception from us both now and at his testimonial later in the season.

As Kev's #1 fan for as many years as he has played for the club I'm pleased so many have spoken in his defence.

As for all of the exiles. They'll all get a great reception I hope. Left for the right reasons and whether Efe blotted his copybook or not (who knows the real story) the three of them played a big part in our recent success. A Juppy scored at Cardiff or Who Put the ball in the Lincoln net ? chant wouldn't go amiss.

Roycey or Darryl ? I'd still have Sammy to be honest. I'm sure he'd still do a job. He sure as hell knew how to command an area, though there was no such thing as a backpass rule in those days, but I think he'd have coped.

Back