• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maher- would you consider selling him??

Clinton Baptiste

Life President⭐
I am not necessarily saying I would advocate this but Mahers recent performances have been woeful, to me he looks like his heart is no longer in it. Accomodating him in the team and pushing Macca out wide has been a failed tactic and Tilly must realise our best performances this season have been with Macca and Bailey in the middle. With him now being 30, and with the emergence of Moussa as a viable alternative, if someone came in with a decent offer in January I would be tempted to take it and use the money to buy a good winger, as with only Gower fit at the moment we have looked out of sorts in the midfield.

I don't think the amount we would get for him would be worth the loss. Even if Bailey & Macca was our first choice, they're going to be suspended plenty of times and whilst Moussa has promise, I'm not sure he's quite ready yet.

Given his age, and the fact he has spent most of his career at a lower level, we would never get much money for him, and certainly not enough to compensate what he brings to the team when he is on his game.

He may be having his biggest dip in form for some 5 years, but that is partly due to him being Mr consistent throughout that time. Dont think we need to sell him to free up money to buy a winger, we can surely use the JCR/EAstwood money for that!

I was thinking as much this morning, along the lines of, if one of the following two players had to go, which one would you prefer it to be: Maher or Moussa. For me, it has to be Maher. Moussa will be worth a whole lot more to this club in a couple of years time than Maher will be.

we would get peanuts for him. it seems he is ok about not being 1st pick and will probably relinquish the armband at the end of the season and so if he is happy with that i would keep him. he is still a class and very useful player and i don't think we need the cash or to free up his position just yet

He's not in the best of form at the minute, but I don't think we could get anyone in who's better for the money we might get for him.

I would not sell Kev, he is off the boil at the moment, but he is a fantastic servant, and part of the furniture here at Roots Hall

It is worth more to the club to keep him now. I still think Kev will come good again, but far from encourage him to improve to retain his place, the spell on the sidelines seems to have really knocked him for six...he looks half the player he has been over the past few seasons.

I have confidence he will get back to true form.

Until we can find a suitable replacement for affordable value, I see no reason for such a move. After all losing the club captain could have an adverse effect on the team

Im actually in deisbelief that there is even a thread about selling our long serving captain?!

He might not have been up to scratch lately but every player goes through a bad run of form. Maher is a Southend legend. He is playing his testimonial in the new ground supposedly. He is comitted and not far behind Barrett in the passion stakes.

Lets stop this nonsense immediately!

I completely agree with you, He loves it old Kevin. It wouldn't be the same if people didn't have a bad word to say about someone though. Low level performances are not acceptable but I would suggest that Kevin is the first to understand that!

Im actually in deisbelief that there is even a thread about selling our long serving captain?!

He might not have been up to scratch lately but every player goes through a bad run of form. Maher is a Southend legend. He is playing his testimonial in the new ground supposedly. He is comitted and not far behind Barrett in the passion stakes.

Lets stop this nonsense immediately!

So is my toilet seat.

But your toilet seat is probably still in fine working order. If it was not working would you consider selling it?

The great thing about toilet seats is that you can get cheap repair kits on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REPAIR-TOILET...ryZ37637QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I also searched for Keven Maher repair kits but no one is selling those:) You can however get Maher Heraldic Coasters.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maher-Irish-F...yZ116098QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

sell.

maher slows the game down when he plays and is not needed with moussa comming through and the ability of gower to play centrally is really needed. i feel we havea new generation of players now, and only gower barrett, flavs and hunt are the survivours

im sorry but at the moment i would still rather have maher than moussa... but obviously we need to hang onto the moose as he is a massive talent

I agree with the point he slows the play down... but why does he do this... to allow the forward players to make a run and pinpoint a pass... to develop an attacking move.

lets take examples....

Liverpool - Mascherano
Man united - Carrick
Chelsea - Makelele
Tottenham - Huddlestone

In my eyes, it would seem that every team in the current footballing world needs a player that has this type of player.

sell.

maher slows the game down when he plays and is not needed with moussa comming through and the ability of gower to play centrally is really needed. i feel we havea new generation of players now, and only gower barrett, flavs and hunt are the survivours

Back