• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Man in charge tomorrow is Danny McDermid from Hampshire, or rather Major McDermid, who is currently a serving soldier in the Royal Logistics Corps and who returned safely to the UK a couple of weeks ago following a six month deployment to Afghanistan.

Due to this deployment, this will be only his 7th game of the season, the first six having produced a low 15 yellows and just the one red.

He will be remembered for an abject performance at Leyton Orient four years ago (yes, the one when Ibehre got a late, late equaliser). His first two seasons as a League referee were littered with controversy and criticism. He was also charged with using foul and abusive language to Denis Wise (co-incidentally at a match at Gillingham), although the FA found in his favour. In my opinion this was a bit of a cover up and a deal was done which meant Leeds got Select Group referees for nearly all their games that season.

He later refereed the away League Cup victory at Cheltenham the season before last where his performance went largely uncommented on, probably because: he was a late change, it was a low-key match, we won.

Then he did the match at Charlton the same season when he did okay, although we rather unluckily lost 1-0.

More recently, last season, he took charge of the 0-0 at Gillingham cautioning 3 of theirs and, on a nostalgic note, Barry Corr.

On the face of it, his performances since his return after a season off in 2008/9 have been better than those of yesteryear; not difficult one might say.

Assisting will be the unathletic looking Steve Artis from Norwich and first season lino, Jake Hillier from New Barnet. Adrian Sannerude will once again be driving down the A12 from Lowestoft to wield the numbers board.

I should have also mentioned that this will, in all probability, be his Roots Hall swan song as he is retiring at the end of the season. Let's hope it's a good one.

I have to say his performance at Orient was one of the worst reffing performances I've seen at League level. One of those rare occassions where Ive found myself bellowing at the official. I really hope he is much improved today.

....and If I were an Accrington fan, I'd have not been pleased with is performance. Two massive decisions go our way, the first a stonewall penalty that he simply didn't give and ignoring the assistants flag in the build up to our goal. But hey, not complaining. Well about the ref at any rate.

Thought he was completely inept and again wanted to be centre of attention!

Clueless, awful decisions, Grant having the goal disallowed, should have played advantage it dropped right to a midfielder on the edge of the box and then he buries it! The resulting free kick is blasted against the wall, it cannons out back towards the free kick takeover the linesmen then gives offside? I mean do these idiots actually understand the rules?

That's just one of many pathetic awfully managed situations that this **** made!

as bad a display of refereeing i can ever recall - consistently poor all match with big decisions wrong for both teams. The red card was laughable

If that was an example of his decision making lets hope, for our forces sake, he doesn't go back to Afghanistan!!
Awful.

Thought he was completely inept and again wanted to be centre of attention!

Clueless, awful decisions, Grant having the goal disallowed, should have played advantage it dropped right to a midfielder on the edge of the box and then he buries it! The resulting free kick is blasted against the wall, it cannons out back towards the free kick takeover the linesmen then gives offside? I mean do these idiots actually understand the rules?

That's just one of many pathetic awfully managed situations that this **** made!

Laws. Yes they do, clearly you don't.

In fact the incident you site was one of the things he did get right. The whistle went well before Grant hit the ball, and everyone had stopped. Given our recent run of failing to create a chance, I'd have hit the whistle too and in all probability the keeper or a defender would have blocked the shot.

as bad a display of refereeing i can ever recall - consistently poor all match with big decisions wrong for both teams. The red card was laughable

I'm not sure we were on the wrong end of too many "big decisions".

....and If I were an Accrington fan, I'd have not been pleased with is performance. Two massive decisions go our way, the first a stonewall penalty that he simply didn't give and ignoring the assistants flag in the build up to our goal. But hey, not complaining. Well about the ref at any rate.

He didn't ignore him, he acknowledged and overruled him in the lead up to our second. A correct decision in my view. The assistant on the east side was very "keen" to raise his flag and made several errors; to both sides I would add.

Also, I feel we had a good shout for a penalty in the first half where Timlin was eased out of a chance by a defender making no attempt at the ball and playing the man instead.

On the whole I think he was ok and not as bad as some are making out.

No, you are right he did acknowledge, but how many times do you see that in season (especially now they are all wired up and can talk)? We'd have been miffed if it had been the other way round.

No, you are right he did acknowledge, but how many times do you see that in season (especially now they are all wired up and can talk)? We'd have been miffed if it had been the other way round.

It seems to me that what you're saying is that he got it right, but because most other referees don't then he is to be marked down?

Being a referee is a thankless tasks at the best of times. Let's not make it any more so.

Laws. Yes they do, clearly you don't.

In fact the incident you site was one of the things he did get right. The whistle went well before Grant hit the ball, and everyone had stopped. Given our recent run of failing to create a chance, I'd have hit the whistle too and in all probability the keeper or a defender would have blocked the shot.

Furthermore, the free-kick was awarded by the Assistant who was standing, flag aloft, in line with the offence. If you play on in that situation you have got no-one to look effectively for offsides. I also agree that the shot that crept in was unlikely to have done so, if they had been trying to stop it.

One can only hope for something better at Hereford. I've seen that we are keeping the Irish tone with Brendan Malone due to officiate on Saturday.........................I await Mick's comments.............according to the Bulls statistics he has refereed 25 matches this season showing 81 yellow cards and 5 reds! :unsure: ............sounds as though he could be fun!

Back