• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Malaria Tablets

adwebb16

Coach
I'm off to Ghana for a month in May and require Malaria Tablets (Malerone). I was wondering if any of your guys have need such tablets recently, and if so where the cheapest place to pick them up is. I've had them once before and the cost upwards of £2 per tab.

Much appreciated!

Took mine like a good boy when i worked in west africa 25 years ago and still caught malaria.
What you doing in ghana for a month?
Try on the net for a generic form of the tablet you want.

Without a doubt the worst thing I have ever tasted...ever.

Not trying to put you off. I had to take mine with honey to make it acceptable otherwise I gagged.

I am now completely put off honey as the taste reminds me of Malaria tablets!

Don't know where we got ours from however, sorry.

Just be careful of adverse reactions to the tablets. An old chum of mine boshed a few of them and ended up nearly ******** his kidneys out..

One of the best laughs I've had in ages...

Kind Regards

Haha! I have taken them before and was s**ting through the eye of a needle, but tablets have improved of recent years and are pretty much tasteless since the last time i took them 3 years ago. Heard a few dogey stories of people catching over there, so just trying to reduced risk.

I'm going over there to teach and work in a community/education centre and it has a large focus on football, trying to get the youngsters off the streets and and into soccer acadamies and scholarships. I'm in the process of writing a letter right this second to the club, having just spoken to them, asking if they would be able to donate some kit and bits to take with me!

I'm off to Ghana for a month in May and require Malaria Tablets (Malerone). I was wondering if any of your guys have need such tablets recently, and if so where the cheapest place to pick them up is. I've had them once before and the cost upwards of £2 per tab.

Much appreciated!

it will obviously stack up if you're going out there for a month, but i would get the malerone... wouldn't really recommend getting cheap 'generics' over the net as you really don't know what you're getting. Ghana is quite bad for malaria and i think the mosquitos are chloroquine resistant:

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/malariamaps/ghana.htm

it will obviously stack up if you're going out there for a month, but i would get the malerone... wouldn't really recommend getting cheap 'generics' over the net as you really don't know what you're getting. Ghana is quite bad for malaria and i think the mosquitos are chloroquine resistant:

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/malariamaps/ghana.htm

Exactly, it's always a huge risk in those parts. Obviously you cannot buy good health, but was wondering if anyone had bought any recently and could recommend it, for a months worth your talking in the region of £60-80.

There are other options, I took larium (which has had bad phycological effects in some peeps) or lots of peeps recommended Doxycycline which is an antibiotic. Malarone is generally the most expensive way of doing things (I got 6 weeks of larium for one prescription charge). All depends on your doctor. Check other jabs etc on fitfortravel.nhs.uk - most doctors actually just go by this anyway! Malarone is a brand, but I think places like Asda pharmacy do stock it, or can get it in which may be chepaer than froms Doctors. Also in my experience, you can buy it cheaply and easily when you are there, even for non-fake brands (just be careful!)

Malarone are by far the 'best' anti-malarial drugs I've used - no noticeable side effects, and the smallest time taking them before and after exposure. However, this does mean that they are probably the priciest option - I doubt you'll pay any less than £2 per tab. Also, I'm sure you know this but different anti-malaria meds are effective against different malaria strains, so check that what you're proposing to take is effective for Ghana...

Not sure if this is illegal or whatever but I still have like 6 Malarone tablets left from 07 with 2011 date on them. And would sell them to you for like a pound each rather than 2 you would pay for them, and i make like a fiver after P&P for something I wouldn't use before 2011.

Or just illegal?

Back