• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can anyone suggest a decent one without getting out a bank loan and bare in mind I'm a beginner !
Looking at Bowmans and Monkey Shoulder but others assure me that I can't go too wrong sticking to Glenfiddich.
Also, has anyone tried the Japanese market as I've heard mixed reviews?

Can anyone suggest a decent one without getting out a bank loan and bare in mind I'm a beginner !
Looking at Bowmans and Monkey Shoulder but others assure me that I can't go too wrong sticking to Glenfiddich.
Also, has anyone tried the Japanese market as I've heard mixed reviews?

Laguvulin 16 - costs about £50 but worth every penny.

I wouldn't bother with Glenfiddich, but that's my personal preference. I guess you mean Bowmore, which is nice stuff.

Cheaper than Laguvulin, I like Johnny Walker Black (don't be snobby about blends, some are great), Caol Ila 12, Highland Park 12, Laphroaig 10

Be careful though - it's an expensive thing to get into. Fortunately my dad is well into his whisky so often get given a bottle as a gift, or a dram or two of something nice when visiting. Sadly he live in NZ now so that's rarer!

I do not or never have liked alcohol and had a spell working in west africa on a yank site and in the shop glenfiddich was only a pound a bottle,hope this helps.

Laguvulin 16 - costs about £50 but worth every penny.

I wouldn't bother with Glenfiddich, but that's my personal preference. I guess you mean Bowmore, which is nice stuff.

Cheaper than Laguvulin, I like Johnny Walker Black (don't be snobby about blends, some are great), Caol Ila 12, Highland Park 12, Laphroaig 10

Be careful though - it's an expensive thing to get into. Fortunately my dad is well into his whisky so often get given a bottle as a gift, or a dram or two of something nice when visiting. Sadly he live in NZ now so that's rarer!

Bowmore, that's the stuff! they've got it in my local Sainsburys ( are we still allowed to shop there?) so might invest. Someone at work mentioned it and as I work in Bow it tends to stick!
Take your point about the blends as others have said same thing to me so thanks for that.
Went to a distillery in Dunedin the first time I went to NZ - sadly now closed. Nearly caused a scene when I asked the bosses wife if I should try his prize malt with a mixer!
More of a rum man really but determined to give whisky a proper go - every man needs a goal in life!

Bowmore, that's the stuff! they've got it in my local Sainsburys ( are we still allowed to shop there?) so might invest. Someone at work mentioned it and as I work in Bow it tends to stick!
Take your point about the blends as others have said same thing to me so thanks for that.
Went to a distillery in Dunedin the first time I went to NZ - sadly now closed. Nearly caused a scene when I asked the bosses wife if I should try his prize malt with a mixer!
More of a rum man really but determined to give whisky a proper go - every man needs a goal in life!

My parents live in Dunedin! Probably a good thing for my dads health that the distillery has shut.

If you're after a bottle from Sainos then Bowmore, Laphroaig, Highland Park are all decent. You'll probably find one on sale for sub £30.

You can't go too far wrong with a Balvenie. I have a bit of a collection, that and maybe Aberlour are my favourites.

Sorry, but that is crap!

Drinkable but yeah, not great. Spend a couple of quid more and you can get something much better. Including supermarket-own single malts (check out Aldi if you're really on a budget)

Always used to be an Island man, (Lagavulin, Tallisker, Laphroaig especially), but am drifting more inland now. Always found Aberlour very good, especially for the price. Got given a 16yo Aberlour at Christmas, and a 12 yo Strathisla. Both nice, but the Aberlour is so much smoother. Also got the remnants of a quarter cask Laphroaig. I say remnants, as a friend was over one evening, and we had a few glasses. I should point out that it's worth remembering BEFORE you start that 48% is 20% stronger than the usual 40%! The next morning wasn't great.

Best ever? My Gt Uncle liked his malts, and gave me a glass of 25yo Glenmorangie. one of the smoothest drinks I've ever tried!

If you're new to drinking Malts, I'd advise trying both with, and without, water. It's not a complete sin to add water, and I find that it does completely change the flavour.

Always used to be an Island man, (Lagavulin, Tallisker, Laphroaig especially), but am drifting more inland now. Always found Aberlour very good, especially for the price. Got given a 16yo Aberlour at Christmas, and a 12 yo Strathisla. Both nice, but the Aberlour is so much smoother. Also got the remnants of a quarter cask Laphroaig. I say remnants, as a friend was over one evening, and we had a few glasses. I should point out that it's worth remembering BEFORE you start that 48% is 20% stronger than the usual 40%! The next morning wasn't great.

Best ever? My Gt Uncle liked his malts, and gave me a glass of 25yo Glenmorangie. one of the smoothest drinks I've ever tried!

If you're new to drinking Malts, I'd advise trying both with, and without, water. It's not a complete sin to add water, and I find that it does completely change the flavour.

Isn't it supposed to release the oils ?

Can't drink Laphroaig, or any peaty whisk(e)y. They all taste like mud. I'm very much a Speyside man myself.

Glenrothes is also very good.

Laphroaig is nice but not for a beginner - v peaty. Bowmore is excellent. Some of the new Japanese ones are excellent. Try Nikka which is smooth.

Back