• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If you're new to drinking Malts, I'd advise trying both with, and without, water. It's not a complete sin to add water, and I find that it does completely change the flavour.

In some Scottish bars there's a tap on the bar which dispenses water for this purpose. It's a matter of choice. I don't add water, but know plenty who do.

Some excellent recommendations already here - I would add Auchentoshan, 12 year old available for about £30.

Didn't someone try to start up a whisky appreciation club at the Broker in Leigh a while ago?

On the water issue - distilleries I've visited all recommend putting a tiny amount of water in, literally a teaspoon. I don't often myself, but the father in law does.

Laphroaig is nice but not for a beginner - v peaty. Bowmore is excellent. Some of the new Japanese ones are excellent. Try Nikka which is smooth.

Some of the best whiskys are Japanese these days...

Some excellent recommendations already here - I would add Auchentoshan, 12 year old available for about £30.

Didn't someone try to start up a whisky appreciation club at the Broker in Leigh a while ago?

On the water issue - distilleries I've visited all recommend putting a tiny amount of water in, literally a teaspoon. I don't often myself, but the father in law does.
FBM I think.

I think they started a bitter middle aged mens club instead.

At least that's the impression I got last time I visited.

I remember buying one for a Scottish mate's dad at a wedding. Brought back a whiskey with ice, as requested. He immediately took the ice cubes out. I said "sorry Joe, I'm sure you said you wanted ice?".

"I want tae chill it, no dilute it".

If you're new to drinking Malts, I'd advise trying both with, and without, water. It's not a complete sin to add water, and I find that it does completely change the flavour.

In some Scottish bars there's a tap on the bar which dispenses water for this purpose. It's a matter of choice. I don't add water, but know plenty who do.

I went to the Whisk(e)y show at Vinopolis last year, and pretty much all of the stands had water. It really does completely change the taste of the drink. I had never had a whisk(e)y with water before, and it was a real eye opener.

You have to be careful to only add a small amount. I've also been told to steer clear of tap water because of the fluoride.

Bowmore, that's the stuff! they've got it in my local Sainsburys ( are we still allowed to shop there?) so might invest. Someone at work mentioned it and as I work in Bow it tends to stick!
Take your point about the blends as others have said same thing to me so thanks for that.
Went to a distillery in Dunedin the first time I went to NZ - sadly now closed. Nearly caused a scene when I asked the bosses wife if I should try his prize malt with a mixer!
More of a rum man really but determined to give whisky a proper go - every man needs a goal in life!

You don't still drink that stuff do you? I can't even stand the smell. I'll stick to my girly gin.

Always loved that almost smoky, peaty taste of Talisker. Also partial to Dalmore and Glenmorangie. If you're looking for a cheaper end of the market, the Famous Grouse is perfectly palatable.

If you want, you can have a nip of my 42 year old Glenfarclas, distilled on Christmas Day 1959, for £50 a sip - which is almost a giveaway. One was bought to have the occasional nip from, the other for keeps. This really is bank loan stuff these days (though not so much when bought), but tastes so extraordinary, the money paid is instantly forgotten about.

Been meaning to get a bottle. We went to the distillery when we holidayed on Mull when kids. Great times.

Available in our local shop (Aultbea) not far from Gairloch that you wot of. I'm no whisky expert but it's a very palatable drop.

Back