• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Malta Premier League's Crazy System

overseas shrimper

Life President⭐
As I mentioned elsewhere, Birkirkara won the Malta Premier League and Valletta came second, but what I wanted to point out here is the stupid system they employ here.

Birkirkara won the championship, Valletta in second place with the following stats:

Won Drawn Lost GF GA +/- Pts
1. Birkirkara 20 4 4 64 32 +32 45

2. Valletta 20 4 4 71 25 +46 44

Valletta even have the better of head-to-head games (W2 D1 L1).

Confused as to how B'Kara could have won the title?

The Premier League is made up of 10 teams and the league competition is based on two rounds. During every season, which is held between August and May, in the first round all 10 teams play against each other two times. When each club has played 18 matches the division is split in two and points are halved. The first six teams participate in the The Championship Pool and the last four teams play in The Relegation Pool.

Not only does the above situation arise, but also, in theory, a team can get relegated with more points than the bottom team in the championship pool!

Is this one of the most ludicrous systems you've ever heard of?

Think you will find something similar is operarated in Switzerland too. Or it was a few years ago when i was manager at Basle on champ man.

i saw valleta play last season. my partner is maltese and we go over there every year. lovely place. ex coventry player misfud or something plays for them now.

i saw valleta play last season. my partner is maltese and we go over there every year. lovely place. ex coventry player misfud or something plays for them now.

Agreed, been a good few times. Think you've had enough then every 3 or 4 years its a 'shall we go back to Malta again?' Never caught a match, National Stadium looks pretty good from the outside.

Yes, Mifsud has been on a short-term deal for the last few weeks of the season over here whilst waiting for a move to a foreign club (preferably in the UK) in the summer. All indications are that Valletta paid through the nose for his services. I had been inquiring as to his services for SUFC in a similar short-term availability at the time.

Agreed, been a good few times. Think you've had enough then every 3 or 4 years its a 'shall we go back to Malta again?' Never caught a match, National Stadium looks pretty good from the outside.

National stadium is quite big and for some matches, it is almost Darlo-like in its emptiness. Get a good game and it can be fun. Big league games and juicy internationals are best. Also, dirt cheap to get in. Problem is though... the fans are away from the pitch Italian style.

Back