• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Man v Fat Football in October

Rayleigh Weir

Not just a roundabout⭐
Not sure if anyone's posted about this already - apologies if so - couldn't see a thread about it after about 5 seconds of searching...

Man v Fat Football are starting up a 5-a-side league in Southend his month at Goals Southend (Chase High School within sight of Roots Hall). For those that have never heard of it:

"MAN v FAT Football is a unique network of weight loss football clubs across the UK, exclusively for men who have a BMI of 27.5 or over. Players can score goals both on the pitch and off the pitch, as weight loss progress directly impacts your team’s performance.

MAN v FAT Football is for you even if you haven’t kicked a football since you were a kid. There’s no upper age limit and you can go completely at your own pace, so you don’t need to worry about your fitness levels."

It's basically like weight watchers but for men that like football. You don't just score points for winning games, but also for losing weight. If anyone else has found that lockdown has done nothing to help an already expanding waistline, then it might be a good way to help shift some lbs and get to play some footy into the bargain. You can register and find out more info here:

https://www.manvfatfootball.org/southend

There's a (free) meet and greet session with a couple of friendly matches at 8pm tonight - I went last week and it's nice and informal with a really good bunch of lads of mixed age and ability - not that many Shrimpers yet, although maybe they're waiting a while before doing the whole AA style disclosure.

Anyway, public service announcement over - might see some of you there...

Take care.

Sounds interesting. Do you need to come as a team or do you just get added to a current team if you sign up?

No idea what my BMI is or how I check it either

Sounds interesting. Do you need to come as a team or do you just get added to a current team if you sign up?

No idea what my BMI is or how I check it either
You sign up as an individual and get added to a team.

For the BMI - MvF have a calculator on their site which is part of the registration process - or there's one on the NHS site...

You sign up as an individual and get added to a team.

For the BMI - MvF have a calculator on their site which is part of the registration process - or there's one on the NHS site...
Cheers. Just checked the NHS one and I fit the BMI criteria. Now a, question of whether my ankles and shins will hold up to playing football again

What's the standard, I wouldn't want to embarrass myself

Cheers. Just checked the NHS one and I fit the BMI criteria. Now a, question of whether my ankles and shins will hold up to playing football again

What's the standard, I wouldn't want to embarrass myself
It's a pretty mixed standard, but a decent bunch of lads. So far the 'less experienced' players have been given a bit more room and been set up some sitters by the better players, but that might drop off a bit as the league gets going. If you're worried then you could always just pop along and watch this week before committing yourself.

I'm a bit disappointed to be missing this week, but managed to injure my calf/achilles stretching for a shot I probably wouldn't have reached 40 years ago...

Back