• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Management

Shrimpet Steve opened this thread by expressing his opinion about a genuinely held belief which concerns him.

I can see nothing in his post which is offensive to anyone, and I don't feel it should be described as trash or boring.

I don't agree with him, but surely he has as much right as anyone else on here the right to raise the concern?

Perhaps we should be treating each others views with a little more respect.

1 role is vacant, 19 of them are staff on the non-playing side of the club (if you include the kit manager and crowd doctor) and a further 10 of them are academy staff.

That leaves you with only 10 names involved in the first team, 2 of which are the physio and the sports scientist. A team of 8 on the coaching and recruiting side of things doesn't sound that big to me .
It wasn’t a negative comment. We have recruited a very strong management and coaching team with no obvious gaps. I can’t imagine Dover, Aldershot, Kings Lynn, Weymouth, Wealdstone and so on have a list of 40 back room staff of that quality to support their club. You’d be hard pressed though not to think that in comparison the playing staff remains very weak. If we recruit as strong a playing squad over the coming weeks and months, as I’m sure we will, then things will look very much brighter. The investment in 40 odd back room staff and 30 odd professional footballers deserves a return better than 3rd bottom of the National League.

Last edited:
Shrimpet Steve opened this thread by expressing his opinion about a genuinely held belief which concerns him.

I can see nothing in his post which is offensive to anyone, and I don't feel it should be described as trash or boring.

I don't agree with him, but surely he has as much right as anyone else on here the right to raise the concern?

I think more would agree with you if it wasn't a persistent issue with said poster.

Much as the wage bill must be frightening for all those staff plus players, at least there finally seems to be a proper structure in place which in all honesty should, given time, produce results. we all know the old saying, 'fail to prepare and you prepare to fail' We failed to prepare for the past 3 seasons with late (and bad) managerial appointments, late if any player signings, leaving important roles un-filled, the list goes on. No one can now accuse the club of failing to prepare, even if it has come 3 years too late. If we don't panic, accept this season is all about staying in this league, I'm hopeful we'll be near the top of the table this time next year. We'll probably still lose more than we win over the next 15 to 20 games but its going to take time get the right players in and turn the ship around. But I do think (as long as RM keeps paying everyone on time) things will soon start to look up.

I think it's the repetitiveness of it - it's not the first, or probably second, time he's aired his view that Currie should've been No1.

The claiming of opinions as facts is also tiresome - although imho he is not alone in this.

Yep. A 4-person panel with immensely qualified individuals on it made their choice after an intense, in-depth, professional and due diligence-based selection process where the top candidate blew them all away with his interview
I'm firmly behind Maher for the record.

However, it can't be forgotten that Stan himself was stating that the new manager needed proven experience, understand the league etc etc so when Maher came in I wasn't unhappy but I was surprised.

You say the panel was immensely qualified however I don't see how a panel consisting of Lockett, Martin, Collymore & Lawrence is at all immensely qualified, if qualified at all.

I'm not saying I disagree with Maher, I'm saying that it didn't quite make sense when considering what the comments were prior to the interview process starting etc.

So now we have john still at the club,who's managed in non league and the football league.Darren Currie who's managed Barnet In the national league! Mark Bentley who's managed canvey in the non league!! In fact the only guy who's part of the management set up who hasn't been manager at first team level is kev maher? Anyone concerned about this? I've said it once and I'll say it again Stan and the panel got it the wrong way around! I hope I'm proved wrong here but we now have no shortage of managers ready to step up if the s..t hits the fan!.
You hope you're proved wrong, but you're 100% right? OK m7.

I'm firmly behind Maher for the record.

However, it can't be forgotten that Stan himself was stating that the new manager needed proven experience, understand the league etc etc so when Maher came in I wasn't unhappy but I was surprised.

You say the panel was immensely qualified however I don't see how a panel consisting of Lockett, Martin, Collymore & Lawrence is at all immensely qualified, if qualified at all.

I'm not saying I disagree with Maher, I'm saying that it didn't quite make sense when considering what the comments were prior to the interview process starting etc.
I'm not entirely convinced that that is exactly what Stan said, but nonetheless, have you ever conducted interviews before? Sometimes you get blown away by a candidate who might not necessarily fit the mould you thought you were looking for.

The panel was qualified in that the people on it work for the club, know exactly what they wanted, have had experience of conducting in-depth recruitment processes before, and all brought relevant experience to the table in some form.

Kevin Maher absolutely smashed the interview, and a rigorous interview at that. He "blew them away". It doesn't matter what may or may not have been said before. I don't know what else there is to say.

So now we have john still at the club,who's managed in non league and the football league.Darren Currie who's managed Barnet In the national league! Mark Bentley who's managed canvey in the non league!! In fact the only guy who's part of the management set up who hasn't been manager at first team level is kev maher? Anyone concerned about this? I've said it once and I'll say it again Stan and the panel got it the wrong way around! I hope I'm proved wrong here but we now have no shortage of managers ready to step up if the s..t hits the fan!.
Good job Maher isnt the manager then. In fact......SUFC dont have a manager!!! OMG everyone panic!!!!!

You are Dagenham Kev and I claim my £5

@Shrimpet steve - what’s your story man? I meant, how old are you? How long have you supported the club? Do you go to games (ever?)…

Should we have been listening to you and not Stan? Maybe you should take over from Ron? You seem to know everything after all.

We’d love you know more about you and your philosophy.

C’mon…

1058615C-F850-4193-9FB4-109652169E82.jpeg

@Shrimpet steve - what’s your story man? I meant, how old are you? How long have you supported the club? Do you go to games (ever?)…

Should we have been listening to you and not Stan? Maybe you should take over from Ron? You seem to know everything after all.

We’d love you know more about you and your philosophy.

C’mon…

View attachment 17761
Put it this way I've supported the club since Stan was playing! I was in the away end when we got promotion at Swansea! I go to every home game but not away anymore! I'm not saying I know it all but most things I say are just real and truthful.Im just so ****ed off with every thing to do with blues right now.

Last edited:
Put it this way I've supported the club since Stan was playing! I was in the away end when we got promotion at Swansea! I go to every home game but not away anymore! I'm not saying I know it all but most things I say are just real and truthful.Im just so ****ed off with every thing to do with blues right now.
That’s good to know! Respect for that!

I’m as frustrated about the current situation as everyone else, including you but the positive actions to mitigate relegation and build for the coming seasons have already started

We have an impressive management team in situ now, better that we’ve had for many a year.

Have faith and it will come good, and avoiding the drop this season will be the immediate success factor.

Keep the faith! And stay positive!!

Back