• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

And two promotions, three trips to Cardiff....etc. You carry on picking the bad times that were not of his doing.

The buck always stops with the manager. You can't praise the promotions, which were fab and gave us a massive feel good factor but deny that the relegations had anything to do with him. He chose the players to bring in when were in the championship, he was given the funds but he failed to keep us in the championship.

The buck always stops with the manager. You can't praise the promotions, which were fab and gave us a massive feel good factor but deny that the relegations had anything to do with him. He chose the players to bring in when were in the championship, he was given the funds but he failed to keep us in the championship.

Spot on mate

Not this again.

He was given very limited funds in comparison to other teams in that league.

We were out of our depth, as were the likes of Col U who came down. Failing to keep us in that division does not wipe the massive achievements he accomplished prior to that.

Not this again.

We were out of our depth, as were the likes of Col U who came down. Failing to keep us in that division does not wipe the massive achievements he accomplished prior to that.

Agreed,

If Fergie was manager with Jose as his assistant that team would have still been relegated.Tilson's hands were well and truly tied.

Steve Wignall holding his box of personal items as he's walking out of the Roots Hall door?

Not this again.

Very true does not wipe it out but at the same time 2 relegations

Not this again.

I agree. 2 promotions were brillain, the Manure game etc gave us wider recognition. I think the point is that some will not accept Tilly had nothing to do with us getting relegated. Richie Foran was a bad buy because Tilly refused to play him up front which was his preferred position. A number of factors were include din our relegation but Till yhas to take the buck, the same as he took the adulation at the promiotions

Can we get back to the topic, simple enough, who would you like, perhaps we could have a poll, but suspect that has been covered in best ever manager threads.
Plenty of grounds have a statue and they do add to the architecture and surroundings.

Can we get back to the topic, simple enough, who would you like, perhaps we could have a poll, but suspect that has been covered in best ever manager threads.
Plenty of grounds have a statue and they do add to the architecture and surroundings.

Once FF has been completed I fully expect a large bronze effigy of Ron wearing a winning smile with his war chest by his feet.

I'm not sure if there is one single character in the history of the club that everyone could agree upon. For some clubs it is easy - Brian Clough at Forest, Sir Tom Finney at PNE, Jock Stein at Celtic, etc - but I can't think of one single SUFC character who rises above everyone else like that.

Perhaps an easier question would be who would make it on to a Southend United 'Mount Rushmore', i.e. our all time top four. Tilson, Trigg, Webb, Best?

Those are just straight off the top of my head I hasten to add - I am sure I have missed out some far more deserving characters!

Paul Sturrock gets my vote for simply making our dream of a Wembley final a reality. The only shame on the day was that he wasnt in charge. Went to all three Millenium finals but depite the defeat nothing will ever take away the vision of 34,000 Shrimpers packing the trains, underground and Wembley way. May never happen again, my dad has supported Southend for over 60 years before he saw this happen. So my vote foes to PS

Once FF has been completed I fully expect a large bronze effigy of Ron wearing a winning smile with his war chest by his feet.

With Ron cased inside, still alive .... sounds good to me!

Paul Sturrock gets my vote for simply making our dream of a Wembley final a reality. The only shame on the day was that he wasnt in charge. Went to all three Millenium finals but depite the defeat nothing will ever take away the vision of 34,000 Shrimpers packing the trains, underground and Wembley way. May never happen again, my dad has supported Southend for over 60 years before he saw this happen. So my vote foes to PS

Wembley was brilliant only spoiled by the football:winking:

Lets no forget Tilson was a great player for us as well. If there was ever going to be a statue to anyone it would habe to be Tily.

Tilly would be the stand out candidate for me. I'd love a Ricky Otto statue though, can't see it getting the nod though so perhaps in the back garden

Back