• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Mansfield Town 1 - 1 Southend United

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
As has been mentioned on the match thread, most of us would have taken a point before the game, so we can’t be completely disappointed. Shame we couldn’t nick the full three points and it’s disappointing that results have gone against us (just like that penalty shout... yet again), but we’re firmly in the mix with a game in hand, so I won’t be too despondent

Big picture; we’re unbeaten in four games, we don’t look like the same team that were likely to ship 3/4/5 goals every game anymore, we do pose a goal threat and most importantly we’ve finally started to believe that we can compete in this league.

The January transfer window will likely be the biggest in our history. Our League status hinges on it. Two or three players will make the difference between relegation battlers, or mid-table mediocrity.

predicted a 1-1 draw and that's exactly what we got. First half we played well and deservedly took the lead, great strike from olayinka. Second half was backs to the wall and eventually pressure told. Shame macca couldn't last the 90 mins as he was running the midfield. We move onto the big derby games with confidence. UTB!

Oxley 7
Bwomono 7
Hobson 7
Dieng 7
Clifford 6
Egbri 8 MOTM
McCormack 8
Taylor K 7
Olayinka 8
Akinola 8
Acquah 7

Hart 6
Klass 5
Taylor R 5
Halford 6
Howard 5

Another game of two halves, our best 11 far better in the first, they were a different side second half and we were much weaker. Happy with the point, results elsewhere were disappointing but if we can continue with our recent points haul we will climb the table. Shout out for Egbri who ran his heart out and Acquah for a much improved display.

In the end a decent point and at the start it was a must not lose game. It's how's how far we have come that we are dispaointed in a draw, but in truth we would have stolen a win. First half we were the better side but Mansfield or their credit had the better of the second half. So four unbeaten, only two goals conceded and 8 point shot gained. We've come a long way in the the last two weeks and now look competitive and hard to break down.

Negatives : Clifford injury, the lad didn't even getting a booking for the challenge. Oliyinka also looked to be struggling as did Macca when he went off. Macca a huge player for us now and it showed how important he is to the midfield and team organisation. Thought also Akinola going off showed how key he is

Positives: another point gained and the lads worked so hard which is so different to earlier in the season. Oxley excellant as were Dieng and Hobson with Elvis/Clifford/hart also doing their bit. Akinola looks a real player and with the right partner will be an asset

But we need another striker minimum and possibly another experienced head in midfield. Keeping hold of Taylor and Olyinka also important

So let's be positive despite losing the lead. Long way to go and much more to be positive about than this time a month ago

UTB

Last edited:
He blew it I’m afraid....totally in control, Mansfield terrible, one up and we change it all around and go on the back foot. There commentators were surprised to get out of that one......M.M......if you choose to give amateurs Acquah and R.Taylor any minutes on a football pitch then expect negative results.
Done well last two but today was 2 points lost against inferior opposition!

Egbri had his best game for Southend by a country mile.
He looked one of the few unaffected by the bog of a pitch, but those subs?

Halford and Taylor up front was pointless (yeah, I know what I said there).
Howard was what? At least Richard Taylor got a meaningful touch here and there, although nothing came of it.

Can't do without Akinola, Olayinka, Macca and probably, Demi.

Now, about Mr Huxtable.
His litany of crimes are lengthy.
Forget the bleedin' obvious pen.
Why wouldn't he let us make the subs when the ball was out of play with seven blue shirts pointing to the touchline?
Sam Hart got a kick to the head, note the debate on that right now, and a yellow. A lot would have shown a red.
Fouls on Macca and Egbri went unchallenged, but a yellow shirt hit the deck and he blew.
I said it on the match thread, if this beer barrel is refereeing Football League, they must be hard up.

Last edited:
It shows you how far we have come already when I am upset with a point. After having a little think about this game I am looking at the bigger picture. A few weeks ago we wouldn't even have been in the game and probably lost 2 or 3 nil. We competed and yes we struggled after losing McCormack particularly but we are ok. We just need to limp to January and stay in contention with the other teams around us and I think we will be fine. We have some very tough games coming up now though and really need those key players fit. At least we have a week to hopefully get them ready.

First half was excellent - completely in control - second half didn’t test their keeper once. I just wonder if we were still limited to three subs whether we may have hung on.

Good result. Clough changed the system at half time and we had injuries to Macca and Olayinka which affected us. Mansfield were rough, tough and unpleasant opponents. We should have been 3-1 up by half time. Egbri, Acquah, Macca, Kyle Taylor, Dieng and Hobson all had good games. Hart was effective when he came on. Elvis was inconsistent. Akinola played well at times but faded in and out. The Ox made two very good saves.

Overall I am happy with a point. We are on a good run. Must get Macca fit!!

You should never be disappointed with a point away from home, especially when you find yourself in the league position that we are but, after the first half performance it's a little hard not to be a little disappointed. I thought the first half we were very good, one of the best 45 minute displays I've seen from a Southend team for a long while. We looked threatening every time we went forward. We looked assured and comfortable in defense and if it wasn't for what has to be one of the most unprofessional referees in the game, we could have easily have gone in 2-0 at half time. Olayinka's goal was a thing of beauty, the keeper didn't even attempt to save it, instead he just watched it fly past him in to the top corner. For me, it's crucial to our chances of surviving in the football league that we extend James' loan for the rest of the season. He brings so much quality to our team.

Much like Tuesday, tonight was a game of two halves. For as good as we in the first, Mansfield came out in the second half and took the game to us.. and we so very nearly held on but it wasn't to be. I thought unlike Tuesday night, the changes we were forced in to making really hampered us. When we lost Simeon we lost pretty much our entire goal threat. We lost Macca and with that we lost control of the midfield. We had to rely on the likes of Richard Howard and Taylor to hold on to three points for us and no offense to those lads but it just made our task harder.

Fact of the matter is though, we are now 4 unbeaten with a points return of 8 from 12. It's been a terrific month to date and it's given us more than a fighting chance to get our of the dreaded drop zone. With January just round the corner as well with the embargo well and truly lifted, I hope that Ron backs MM to bring in some new faces to freshen up the squad and help us in our push to remain a football league team.

All that remains for me to say is I want to just wish you all a very merry Christmas. It's been a tough year for us all both in football and 'real life' and with today's news regarding this "fourth tier" nonsense, life isn't going to be back to normal for any of us anytime soon. With that, stay safe everybody and enjoy the festive period as best you can. Here's to a better 2021 to us all.

Would have taken a point before the game so can have no complaints, especially as Mansfield were very much on top in the second half and could easily have taken all three points.

I feel as though the subs killed any chance we had of winning the game, although this isn’t MM’s fault as they were enforced and there wasn’t much choice (ANG probably a better option than Howard and Taylor though, is he still carrying a knock?). Our strength in depth still isn’t what it needs to be if we are to stay up. We must keep hold of the players with loans and contracts up in January (apart from Sterling) and then bring in more players on top of that if we are to have any chance of staying up.

The big loss today wasn’t the two points dropped but the injuries and results around us pretty much going the opposite way to what we wanted.

Between Egbri and Hobson for MOTM for me. Egbri’s energy was phenomenal and lasted for the whole 90 minutes. He has transformed from looking a little bit out of his depth at the start of 2020 to an important member of the squad by the end of 2020, impressive stuff. Hobson solid again and made a vital clearance off the line.

1-1 a fair result. It was a real battle in that second half. We stood up and were counted.
Some good performances; Dieng and Hobson at the back. Little Egbri in midfield worked tirelessly and his confidence is definitely growing. Macca was great again and Taylor kept things ticking over. Akinola again showed what a good player he's going to be when he gets fully up to speed.
We rather ran out of steam and when Macca went off and lost our shape. I would question why Molesley played Taylor and Halford as a front two, when another man in midfield would have helped us suffocate the game a bit more.
For as well as Hobson played again today I felt he should have come out and closed down the eventual Mansfield scorer.
All in all a pleasing, hard earned point.
Gutted to see three more on the treatment table....3 really important players as well.

Decided on the iFollow lottery today and was glad I did.
First half I thought the whole team were terrific. As others have said Egbri had a great game. Akinola put in a shift, the commentry didn't really do justice to his tracking back and defensive work and he showed some sublime touches.
The triple substitution didn't really work but I think that was forced through injuries rather than by tactics.
Leaves us with a fighting chance in the second half of the season. Well done lads.

We defended very well I thought, and a point was probably a fair result.
Being genuinely hard to beat, as we look at the moment, will be enough to stop us going down this season. Still work to do for sure, but MM is turning this ship around

Back