• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Mansfield Town 1 - 1 Southend United

I was wrapping presents so wasn't as focused on the game as normal but, it seemed it was a game we really needed Demi for on that pitch, to have neither him nor Macca there in the later stages of the game is, I think, how we lost. We had no-one marshalling and I struggled to understand the triple substitution personnel changes - let's be clear, not the why, but the who.
That's the thing about present wrapping, it can make you think we lost when we actually drew. :Winking:

Pitch was shocking. Ref was shocking. We woz robbed. That about sums it up!

I was wrapping presents so wasn't as focused on the game as normal but, it seemed it was a game we really needed Demi for on that pitch, to have neither him nor Macca there in the later stages of the game is, I think, how we lost. We had no-one marshalling and I struggled to understand the triple substitution personnel changes - let's be clear, not the why, but the who.

Was Clifford's injury in the same as the dead leg a few matches ago? I hope not as it might mean an underlying issue - he's a solid left back with a great dead ball technique. We've actually got a few of those now.

Bit confused as to why Harry Phillips wasn't included in the subs, when it was obvious that Macca was unlikely to last a full game.

I don't think we generally do very well against Nigel Clough's sides so to take a point is actually a good result for us. I guess it is the manner of it that's frustrating. The ref couldn't have been more of a homer if he'd tried - Acquah is clearly being fouled just before the "penalty" and he continuously gave fouls against us in the first 30 minutes. Egbri was getting flattened a lot too.

It's good to see that we have players now who aren't afraid to have a shot, much of the last few seasons we've just tried to walk it into the net.

I think Clough's substitutions and half time talk won them the game, they came out a totally different side for the 2nd half, while we were forced into making substitutions that we ordinarily really wouldn't have wanted to.

Oxley - 7, couldn't criticise today, didn't really do anything wrong, couple of really good saves
Bwomono - 7, thought he coped with McLaughlin well enough when he came on (why didn't he start, anyone know?)
Dieng - 6.5, slightly off the pace compared to previous games
Hobson - 7, solid, again
Clifford - 7, thought this game was going to be his game, started brightly
Egbri - 8, my MOTM, need to be getting this young man on an improved contract!
McCormack - 7, struggled with the pitch I think, but still got stuck in. He will desperately want to be fit for the Colchester game, let's hope he will be able to get across to the others what it means!
Taylor K - 7, looks to be back to his match fitness
Olaykina - 7, another great goal
Akinola - 7.5, coming on massively, some lovely touches. Stonewall penalty
Acquah - 6.5, still not doing it for me

Subs:
Hart for Clifford - 7, did ok when he came on into his more familiar LB role
Klass for Olayinka - 6.5, really want him to do well, but didn't think he did great when he came on, think it was his error led to their goal
Halford for Akinola - 7, I'd have rather seen him take on the midfield role that Macca was forced to vacate but did ok
Taylor R for McCormack - 6, I'm just not seeing what he brings, would much rather see ANG
Howard for Acquah - 6.5, can't say I noticed him too much, but again, would have rather ANG come on.

'Nuff said about the ref already!

Phillips seems to have been supplanted on the bench by Klass.

ps Just to reiterate RHB, Nigel Clough’s tactics and HT team talk didn’t win them the game either.

It's important not to get carried away and that was a good point. Particularly on the balance of the second half, we've become very resilient to pressure. Compare that to the Bolton game just a few weeks ago

We are an improving side but we just have to hope the injury to McCormack isn't serious. as he really makes us tick and we were poor first half on Tuesday in his absense. We are right in this fight with January just around the corner when we can hopefully strengthen

I think we’re sitting back and inviting too much pressure. We saw it first half v Grimsby with a lead and we were guilty of it yesterday as well. We need to start backing ourselves to score a second if we just keep playing. Hopefully that comes with increased confidence.

Pitch was shocking. Ref was shocking. We woz robbed. That about sums it up!

Was Clifford's injury in the same as the dead leg a few matches ago? I hope not as it might mean an underlying issue - he's a solid left back with a great dead ball technique. We've actually got a few of those now.

Bit confused as to why Harry Phillips wasn't included in the subs, when it was obvious that Macca was unlikely to last a full game.

I don't think we generally do very well against Nigel Clough's sides so to take a point is actually a good result for us. I guess it is the manner of it that's frustrating. The ref couldn't have been more of a homer if he'd tried - Acquah is clearly being fouled just before the "penalty" and he continuously gave fouls against us in the first 30 minutes. Egbri was getting flattened a lot too.

It's good to see that we have players now who aren't afraid to have a shot, much of the last few seasons we've just tried to walk it into the net.

I think Clough's substitutions and half time talk won them the game, they came out a totally different side for the 2nd half, while we were forced into making substitutions that we ordinarily really wouldn't have wanted to.

Oxley - 7, couldn't criticise today, didn't really do anything wrong, couple of really good saves
Bwomono - 7, thought he coped with McLaughlin well enough when he came on (why didn't he start, anyone know?)
Dieng - 6.5, slightly off the pace compared to previous games
Hobson - 7, solid, again
Clifford - 7, thought this game was going to be his game, started brightly
Egbri - 8, my MOTM, need to be getting this young man on an improved contract!
McCormack - 7, struggled with the pitch I think, but still got stuck in. He will desperately want to be fit for the Colchester game, let's hope he will be able to get across to the others what it means!
Taylor K - 7, looks to be back to his match fitness
Olaykina - 7, another great goal
Akinola - 7.5, coming on massively, some lovely touches. Stonewall penalty
Acquah - 6.5, still not doing it for me

Subs:
Hart for Clifford - 7, did ok when he came on into his more familiar LB role
Klass for Olayinka - 6.5, really want him to do well, but didn't think he did great when he came on, think it was his error led to their goal
Halford for Akinola - 7, I'd have rather seen him take on the midfield role that Macca was forced to vacate but did ok
Taylor R for McCormack - 6, I'm just not seeing what he brings, would much rather see ANG
Howard for Acquah - 6.5, can't say I noticed him too much, but again, would have rather ANG come on.

'Nuff said about the ref already!

What about this bit then ?

He blew it I’m afraid....totally in control, Mansfield terrible, one up and we change it all around and go on the back foot. There commentators were surprised to get out of that one......M.M......if you choose to give amateurs Acquah and R.Taylor any minutes on a football pitch then expect negative results.
Done well last two but today was 2 points lost against inferior opposition!
I've said it once and I'll say it again acquah shouldent be anywhere near a football pitch! For all his hard work and endeavour hes just not good enough to be a pro footballer.Its not a personal attack hes just slow,awkward,cant pass,cant dribble,cant head,cant run just an allround s....t!! Player and have absolutely no idea what MM sees in him? Ok if he wants to play him then give him 5 minutes at the end but please do not start him we have much better options.

Apologies if this has been covered ( I haven’t read back through all the threads or posts ) but I kept watching I-Follow for a bit after the final whistle and caught Clough and McCormack exchanging views.
Clough was clearly upset at something and McCormack didn’t really bite too much - did anyone else see it ?

Apologies if this has been covered ( I haven’t read back through all the threads or posts ) but I kept watching I-Follow for a bit after the final whistle and caught Clough and McCormack exchanging views.
Clough was clearly upset at something and McCormack didn’t really bite too much - did anyone else see it ?

You’re right.

Clough wasn’t happy.

Probably about some of Macca’s ‘challenges’........

Good.

Just what we were missing - a competitive midfielder.

Yes I saw that. The camera lingered on them for a while but what provoked it I don't know. It seemed like Clough was the one who was upset as you say and McCormack seemed quite calm in his responses. I could understand if it was Macca having a word about some of the over physical challenges from Mansfield but it didn't look like that. Must learn to lip read.

Right midfield.

He's also a holding midfielder.

I'd have rather used ANG in that spot and try and take the game more to Mansfield and stretch the lead.
Yes,
Right midfield.

He's also a holding midfielder.

I'd have rather used ANG in that spot and try and take the game more to Mansfield and stretch the lead.
Yes,RH did ok,as I thought he would.I certainly understand why most would have preferred to see ANG come on.Maybe he wasn’t 100% fit?We never know things like that.
As someone else said,it would have been good to have Harry Phillips to come on.I think he’s got what it takes—I’m not at all sure Michael Klass has.

Phillips seems to have been supplanted on the bench by Klass.

ps Just to reiterate RHB, Nigel Clough’s tactics and HT team talk didn’t win them the game either.
What about this bit then ?

Okay, okay, I made a mistake there - but clearly it WAS a mistake because I also said this:

I don't think we generally do very well against Nigel Clough's sides so to take a point is actually a good result for us. I guess it is the manner of it that's frustrating. The ref couldn't have been more of a homer if he'd tried.

Back