• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Has he run over Phil Brown's cat or something?

Changed the match when he came on at Pompey, excellent at Chesterfield, started the season superbly, everyone said how much we missed him when he was injured, yet now somehow seemingly behind Conor Clifford in the pecking order.

Conor Clifford!

I would love to see him start with Timlin in the middle with Atkinson going out to the wing and Streaker dropped.

If Laird has run over his cat, Stroker has rescued the cat from under the car and nursed it back to life.

Have you got something against Clifford?

He seems like a good defensive mid from when I've seen him play. One of those that if you don't notice him during the game meant he had a good game.

I would love to see him start with Timlin in the middle with Atkinson going out to the wing and Streaker dropped.
Totally agree with this, Leonard, Laird and Timlin in a midfield 3 would work well, with Atkinson, Corr and Hurst as the front three.
Am surprised though that Clifford came on instead of Laird. I do prefer 4-4-2 at home, but Leonard and Timlin were caught out a few times making forward runs and when they were both looking tired near the end ,it was crying out for Laird. In a 4-4-2 I think Laird and Leonard would work better with Timlin/Atkinson on the left

I want laird to start games too.....but a look at the table suggests Mr Brown knows what he is doing. Laird will get a chance...up to him to shine when it comes along. If we go with four in midfield brown will pick hurst leonard timlin Atkinson......the issue is do any of those deserve to be dropped

Going by this thread I think we should go with a midfield three of Straker, Stroker and Streacker perhaps? League 2 defences wouldn't know what hit them.

I thought Clifford was the right one to bring on yesterday, I like Lairdy but he sometimes makes some very dodgy looking tackles and I felt we needed someone with a bit of a steel as our midfield was getting a bit over-run at times - which is also why Payne wasn't an option for me. Clifford was our strongest physical midfielder on the bench.

I also wonder why Straker is still getting starts at the moment though Brown has clearly intimated a mix up for the FA Cup game and I expect both Clifford and Laird could start Saturday.

I thought Clifford was the right one to bring on yesterday, I like Lairdy but he sometimes makes some very dodgy looking tackles

And Clifford doesn't! I've liked the look of Clifford when I've seen him especially as Leonard aside, he's got the most potential to get goals from midfield. But he is also a walking yellow card coz he loves flying into tackles.

And Clifford doesn't! I've liked the look of Clifford when I've seen him especially as Leonard aside, he's got the most potential to get goals from midfield. But he is also a walking yellow card coz he loves flying into tackles.
Clifford does what I consider to be "hard man" tackles, Laird doesn't do that, but his are equally as worrying as they're less controlled.

Surprised at this also YB. Glad brown changed his tactics yesterday when it was clear things weren't going well but don't want to see that starting lineup at home again anytime soon. Straker should be benched. Maybe look for another wide player in the window.

A hamstring injury can take a long time to fix, it can just niggle, soft pitches and slips etc aren't best; and the spot/place he would take would likely be Lennie, Tims or Atko who don't deserve to be dropped at present. The subs PB has made have been tactica,l so for me, I don't read too much into Mark not getting a game.

I like Laird a lot but as we are doing well at the moment who can argue with Phil Browns selections overall? Laird will get his chance and its very good we have strength in depth in our midfield area.

He seems like a good defensive mid from when I've seen him play. One of those that if you don't notice him during the game meant he had a good game.

I like Clifford but I think his tackling is a bit reckless at times and he could see red a few more times this season if he is not careful.

We tried to win the game. Clifford is more of an attack minded midfielder whereas Laird is more box to box and possibly a tad more defensive minded. We won the game, well done Brown. Nothing to discuss here.

I like Laird a lot but as we are doing well at the moment who can argue with Phil Browns selections overall? Laird will get his chance and its very good we have strength in depth in our midfield area.

I just hope a Div 1 club doesn't come sniffing for him this month.

He's not a defensive midfielder, or if he is he's a particularly **** one. Lets his man get goalside of him far too often.

I thought Clifford was the right one to bring on yesterday, I like Lairdy but he sometimes makes some very dodgy looking tackles and I felt we needed someone with a bit of a steel as our midfield was getting a bit over-run at times - which is also why Payne wasn't an option for me. Clifford was our strongest physical midfielder on the bench.

I also wonder why Straker is still getting starts at the moment though Brown has clearly intimated a mix up for the FA Cup game and I expect both Clifford and Laird could start Saturday.

WTF? If you think Laird makes dodgy tackles, Clifford is not the answer. Far more important than physical tackling is positioning and reading the game and Laird is streets ahead of the impulsive Clifford at this.

Well Brown got the starting XI wrong again, so I'd suggest it's legitimate to question his selections.

He's not a defensive midfielder, or if he is he's a particularly **** one. Lets his man get goalside of him far too often.

WTF? If you think Laird makes dodgy tackles, Clifford is not the answer. Far more important than physical tackling is positioning and reading the game and Laird is streets ahead of the impulsive Clifford at this.

Well Brown got the starting XI wrong again, so I'd suggest it's legitimate to question his selections.

Agree with all of this. Laird would be in my starting line up all day long.

Laird might be better than Clifford, but that doesn't mean Clifford is poor. Give Clifford a year in the team and he will be good enough for League 1 and maybe even potential to be good enough for the Championship.

I think Laird should be in the starting 11 , along with Leonard and Atkinson.

Timlin and Clifford have certain assets , but IMO I think those three are the most intelligent midfield we have in terms of their positioning , passing and decision making.

Back