• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
How is is right that an MP steals money from her employer to the tune of 45k yet is then only asked to pay back 5k and say sorry. Surely any normal person who stole that amount would face jail for theft. This one rule for us in power and one for the plebs is disgusting.Cameron backing her saying she does a great job and we should leave things as they are just shows his contempt for "normal people"

I have no sympathy for benefit cheats but it is a bit hard for those who have very little to have any respect for the people in power when they just abuse their position. Surely they should be making an example to others? Surely she should of been forced to resign, pay the lot back and be charged.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...-MPs-conspired-to-save-Culture-Secretary.html

Apart from anything, she is a hypocrite:

Mrs Miller escaped more serious censure because of the self-regulation of MPs. She is the Cabinet minister responsible for determining the future of press regulation and has repeatedly said the media must not be allowed to sit in judgment on itself.

[video=youtube;WI3J_rNuSZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3J_rNuSZM[/video]

That is brilliant.

"She always knows she has two homes with the Conservative Party".

Genius.

She seems to have got off lightly for sure but the crux seems to be this: The MPs accepted Mrs Miller’s “contention that her over-claim in 2008-09 was inadvertent and caused by the rapid reduction in interest rates”.

I'm surprised that, even on that basis, she hasn't been asked to pay it all back though - she was either correct or incorrect as to the amount and that should be made right. No question that she's placed herself in a hypocritical position though as London Blue suggests above. That's going to make for some interesting conversations in the future and it's no wonder the loving Press are already gunning her down.

I'm not up for this "stealing" nonsense though. I'm guessing that the Commons Standards Committee is cross-party and, if there was ever a case to answer with the police, they'd have already considered it.

She's in the wrong of course but, for me, it's just the usual Press-overreaction against our demonic politicians - even if she did load the gun for them!

Oh yes, and as Rupert the Bear said... "Hello Badger."

I don't understand why she's not had to pay it all back, even if an honest mistake.

That's going to make for some interesting conversations in the future and it's no wonder the loving Press are already gunning her down.

Haven't been following this story at all, so my biggest question was why now.

Fortunately the article explains everything:

"She is the Cabinet minister responsible for determining the future of press regulation"

These members of parliament are meant to be highly intelligent yet they certainly make plenty of error's on their expenses.

These members of parliament are meant to be highly intelligent yet they certainly make plenty of error's on their expenses.

I work in a university, which is full of highly intelligent academics. However when it comes to basic admin and organisation they're a complete nightmare.

The issue here is that she had a tracker mortgage and when it went down she didn't adjust her expense claim. Seeing as she's an MP travelling the country, doing a lot of work, it's not inconceivable that her expenses for her mortgage passed her buy when her mortgage rate changed and she just automatically claimed what she always did. She probably had staff organising that stuff and she just scribbled a sig on it. Wrong, but not devious. I don't think you could really prove that she tried to play the system, but she should pay what she owes and the fact that she hasn't doesn't make much sense.

I work in a university, which is full of highly intelligent academics. However when it comes to basic admin and organisation they're a complete nightmare.

The issue here is that she had a tracker mortgage and when it went down she didn't adjust her expense claim. Seeing as she's an MP travelling the country, doing a lot of work, it's not inconceivable that her expenses for her mortgage passed her buy when her mortgage rate changed and she just automatically claimed what she always did. She probably had staff organising that stuff and she just scribbled a sig on it. Wrong, but not devious. I don't think you could really prove that she tried to play the system, but she should pay what she owes and the fact that she hasn't doesn't make much sense.

It appears her staff tried to bully reporters into silence.
One enquiry suggested she repay 45k.
Her lender must have sent her detailed information regarding her mortgage.
If you or I did the same would we be treated the same as MM?
Why did Jeremy Hunt scuttle to her side during her obtuse apology?

If MM cannot keep on top of her own personal stuff she surely should not be advising the general public on anything.

Haven't been following this story at all, so my biggest question was why now.

Fortunately the article explains everything:

"She is the Cabinet minister responsible for determining the future of press regulation"

They spent millions on the Leveson inquiry to do that, then chose to ignore their findings as it didn't suit their own agenda.

How is is right that an MP steals money from her employer to the tune of 45k yet is then only asked to pay back 5k and say sorry. Surely any normal person who stole that amount would face jail for theft.
[/URL]

It may have been a genuine mistake but Surely any honourable person should pay it back without being asked. I think its called doing the right thing.

It may have been a genuine mistake but Surely any honourable person should pay it back without being asked. I think its called doing the right thing.

Unfortunately many politicians do not possess a functioning moral compass and the term honorable is a misnomer for them. If she had quietly said sorry Ive made an error and payed the money back this would never had made the front pages but like many of her peers she assumes the laws only apply to the people she has prejudice against. Wouldnt it be nice if we could all borrow £45K and pay back a fraction of that.

She seems to have got off lightly for sure but the crux seems to be this: The MPs accepted Mrs Miller’s “contention that her over-claim in 2008-09 was inadvertent and caused by the rapid reduction in interest rates”.

I'm surprised that, even on that basis, she hasn't been asked to pay it all back though - she was either correct or incorrect as to the amount and that should be made right. No question that she's placed herself in a hypocritical position though as London Blue suggests above. That's going to make for some interesting conversations in the future and it's no wonder the loving Press are already gunning her down.

I'm not up for this "stealing" nonsense though. I'm guessing that the Commons Standards Committee is cross-party and, if there was ever a case to answer with the police, they'd have already considered it.

She's in the wrong of course but, for me, it's just the usual Press-overreaction against our demonic politicians - even if she did load the gun for them!

Oh yes, and as Rupert the Bear said... "Hello Badger."

Defending the indefensible...Of course she knew she was 45k better off....I don't go for this bollox of she was far to busy to notice.It's a sham she hoped to get away with. The government these days is self ruled...I would guess this is a good example of how they have one rule for them and another for the plebs.

Over reaction from the press? Get real the press is owned by the corporations that live hand in hand with these corrupt governments. Did you read the actual fiasco over the sale of Royal Mail shares to there mates in power.

The police? don't even go there.....employed by the people to serve the people...yet all they do is pander to government wishes....It is near on illegal now to protest anything...Boris of cause wants water cannons to keep the mere mortals down if they dare to speak out in force.

Back