• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark 'God' Gower

rabbloke

Coach
This season we are not so ravaged by injuries, touch wood it remains that way, and Tilly has spoke of the competition for places. If this is true, why does he keep playing Gower?. I too believe he is an enormous talent, still with the potential to go much further in the game, but this season he has not enjoyed his best form. Would it not be prudent to drop him to the stiffs for a week or two so that he can rediscover his form and appetite for the game?. What signal does it send to the fringe players when they see a colleague underperforming and still keeping his place in the side?. A lot of the play goes through Gower and if he is not on song it means a lot of the play is wasted. If Tilly feels we do not have adequate cover for him, then get rid of those that have no chance of being in the first team and bring in someone that can truly challenge for a place.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Sep. 14 2004,11:50)]This season we are not so ravaged by injuries, touch wood it remains that way, and Tilly has spoke of the competition for places. If this is true, why does he keep playing Gower?. I too believe he is an enormous talent, still with the potential to go much further in the game, but this season he has not enjoyed his best form. Would it not be prudent to drop him to the stiffs for a week or two so that he can rediscover his form and appetite for the game?. What signal does it send to the fringe players when they see a colleague underperforming and still keeping his place in the side?. A lot of the play goes through Gower and if he is not on song it means a lot of the play is wasted. If Tilly feels we do not have adequate cover for him, then get rid of those that have no chance of being in the first team and bring in someone that can truly challenge for a place.
Agree with you... but, if we are really honest, this debate is about him missing a sitter in front of goal on Saturday, which anyone can do and Mark has done more frequently than most [17 shots so far this season, of which only 5 were on target and 0 goals].

We do have to weigh up the fact that if we bench him for a couple of games [to rediscover his game], how will this influence our play in those games and who would replace him... neither choice is very easy let's face it!, but I think he can play 60 minutes at the moment and then put a fresh pair of legs on, for the remainder! I would prefer this in hindsight, as we need to be in control of the game before considering a change in my view!

Very difficult to see what is the best solution here.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Sep. 14 2004,14:06)]Agree with you... but, if we are really honest, this debate is about him missing a sitter in front of goal on Saturday,
Sorry, have to disagree with you. On Saturday it was a lacklustre display all round, if he'd have scored then it would have just papered over the cracks.

If he's not fit then why is he playing? Surely he'd be better off rested so he can come back firing on all cylinders. If he is fit then it's a lack of effort - once again, if that's the case why is he playing?

He was second to every loose ball, didn't take players on and generally looked to be playing at half pace. In the first half on Saturday if we'd had the Mark Gower of last season then I'm convinced it would have made the difference and we could have killed the game off.

Please refer to the thread I started a couple of days ago entiled "Mark Gower...How much longer".

Good arguement Technician, but does that not just support the latter part of my post. If there is nobody in the stiffs to take his place should we not get somebody who can? You point out that Gower has managed 17 shots and only five on target. Would we keep a keeper in the side that saves five out of seventeen shots? I dont think so. I know when he is on his game he is a wonderful player and I truly hope that he rediscovers a rich vein of form soon, but in the meantime surely someone else deserves a chance. Corbett for instance. I would like to see him having seventeen shots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Turpinator @ Sep. 14 2004,14:24)]Please refer to the thread I started a couple of days ago entiled "Mark Gower...How much longer".
No. This thread is of a much higher quality, your post is SOOOO old news it's not true. So there!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Sep. 14 2004,14:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Turpinator @ Sep. 14 2004,14:24)]Please refer to the thread I started a couple of days ago entiled "Mark Gower...How much longer".
No. This thread is of a much higher quality, your post is SOOOO old news it's not true. So there!

tounge.gif
I have to disagree...mine is MUCH better AND bigger so there!!!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Turpinator @ Sep. 14 2004,13:28)]
[b said:
[b said:

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
I've already posted on that one!
wink.gif

If you want to compare sizes, do it somewhere else and keep the zone clean!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Turpinator @ Sep. 14 2004,14:28)]
[b said:
[b said:

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
21st Birthday, The Aristocrat, Strip-A-Gram.......

I'll say no more.......!

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Sep. 14 2004,14:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Turpinator @ Sep. 14 2004,14:28)]
[b said:
[b said:

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
21st Birthday, The Aristocrat, Strip-A-Gram.......

I'll say no more.......!

cool.gif
I have to admit I was very...very drunk!!!
laugh.gif

It's nothing to do with his fitness, otherwise he wouldn't be playing!

Yes he's been poor in most of the games so far but I though he was good against Macclesfield and Rushden, and he wasn't bad on Saturday either apart from the miss. He's our most talented player and our most creative, I dont think he should be dropped and I doubt Tilly will drop him anyway. Kightly and Corbett deserve a chance, though, definitely keep them on the bench.

Why noy give young Nicky Nic a go in Gowers place? He loves getting forward and would have Che backing him up defensively.. just a thought

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Sep. 14 2004,23:56)]Why noy give young Nicky Nic a go in Gowers place? He loves getting forward and would have Che backing him up defensively.. just a thought
Yer, well said that man !!!

Natural left footer and boy can he deliver a dangerous ball in the box....!?!

What do u reckon chaps ?

Back