• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Beefy

Life President
Mark Gower hit his 10th goal of the season yesterday. It was his 8th in the league which puts him one behind Freddy Eastwood if you take Freddy's penalties out.

I've just had a quick look and he is now the 4th highest scoring midfielder in the Championship behind Gary McSheffrey, Martin Rowlands and Chris Brunt. But, again, if you take away the penalties that those players have scored only McSheffrey has scored more than Gower has.

Well played Mark, even if you have cost me £50 in the 'quid a goal' scheme this season :cry:

My favourite player is Gower. This thread has reminded me I must get my avatar and sig redone. :D

Hats off to his achievements but don't you think he is capable of so much more?

and McSheffrey has played a lot as a wide striker in a 433, and for a better team. Hence, Gower is clearly a king amongst men.

Interesting that no-one's asked the inevitable yet:
If we go down, will he stay?

We're all thinking Eastwood and Flavs may go, but is Gower an even more likely transfer target for a Championship manager? Possibly cheaper, now proven at this level...

as long as maher stays then im sure gower will. I don't think many teams will take a gamble on him as he is settled and not getting any younger. i think a lot of teams want youth and pace, neither of which marky has. however he is a great player and i would be really sad to see him go

I don't know what more you expect from an attacking midfielder in a struggling team

Probably a few more assists.

He's a creative midfielder in a team that has hardly created anything all season. Whilst he has scored a few this season, he has created a lot less than he has in previous seasons. Like most of our squad he has looked good in patches but has been very inconsistent.

Like most of our squad he has looked good in patches but has been very inconsistent.

Disagree, think Gower has been one of our more consistent performers. Think he was probably our best player for the first 15 games and whilst he hasnt been setting the world alight has been steady for most of the season.

Think the main reason why neither of our wingers has much in the way of assists is they have never got anyone to cross to. With Freddy constantly hovering on the edge of the box they have only ever one player to aim at which is incredibly easy to defend against.

Probably a few more assists.

He's a creative midfielder in a team that has hardly created anything all season. Whilst he has scored a few this season, he has created a lot less than he has in previous seasons. Like most of our squad he has looked good in patches but has been very inconsistent.

True. He is, after all, only joint 15th in the league for assists made. The only other appearance by a Shrimper in that list is that player so criticised for lacking team ethic, Eastwood, who has the joint ninth most assists of anyone in the Championship.

:confused:

True. He is, after all, only joint 15th in the league for assists made. The only other appearance by a Shrimper in that list is that player so criticised for lacking team ethic, Eastwood, who has the joint ninth most assists of anyone in the Championship.

:confused:

It could have been more emphatic too.

Between them, Eastwood and Gower have hit the woodwork seven times this season.

Disagree, think Gower has been one of our more consistent performers. Think he was probably our best player for the first 15 games and whilst he hasnt been setting the world alight has been steady for most of the season.

Think the main reason why neither of our wingers has much in the way of assists is they have never got anyone to cross to. With Freddy constantly hovering on the edge of the box they have only ever one player to aim at which is incredibly easy to defend against.

We've never really been a crossing team, we're more a passing team, but pass still counts as an assist. Instead of always crossing it, we should be looking more often to cut it back to our top goalscorer who has scored many, many goals from that position. We also desperately need midfield runners. Luke Guttridge, or when he was playing, Mark Bentley did this for us last season but once Gutts decided he couldn't be bothered we lost a crucial part of our game.

Anyway I'm not saying Gower has had a bad season, I'm saying he's had an inconsistent season. I agree he was very good early on and had a month when he was undoubtably one of our best performers. However he hasn't maintained that form and indeed, unlike last season, very few players have played well for more than a month or two at a time. If Gower had been consistent he'd have already wrapped up the player of the year award.

We've never really been a crossing team, we're more a passing team, but pass still counts as an assist. Instead of always crossing it, we should be looking more often to cut it back to our top goalscorer who has scored many, many goals from that position. We also desperately need midfield runners. Luke Guttridge, or when he was playing, Mark Bentley did this for us last season but once Gutts decided he couldn't be bothered we lost a crucial part of our game.

Anyway I'm not saying Gower has had a bad season, I'm saying he's had an inconsistent season. I agree he was very good early on and had a month when he was undoubtably one of our best performers. However he hasn't maintained that form and indeed, unlike last season, very few players have played well for more than a month or two at a time. If Gower had been consistent he'd have already wrapped up the player of the year award.

You must be kidding. Did you see the recent poll of a similar ilk where Flahavan pretty much romped it?

We've never really been a crossing team, we're more a passing team, but pass still counts as an assist. Instead of always crossing it, we should be looking more often to cut it back to our top goalscorer who has scored many, many goals from that position.

Unfortunately you need to be able to vary your game, trying to pass the ball in from wide positions is pretty one dimensional. Arsenal are team who dont cross the ball and they have been pretty easy to defend against this time.

When you have players like Gower and JCR who like getting to the touchline you really need players in the middle to get on the end of the crosses. JCR is actually crossing now, if only someone was there for him.

Freddy does score many goals from 18-22 yards but theres nothing to stop him from making the odd run into the 6 yard box either.

I think Mark Gower is a great player and has really proven himself at this level. He has had a couple of crappy games but he always makes up for it the game after. He is a great asset to the club and I hope we hold onto him whether we stay up or go down!

Definatly a incontention for player of the season!

Back