• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

...............gone!
Disappointing, but there again, not a great surprise........good luck Mark.
A couple of things. Firstly, I wasn't privy to some of the rumours circulating on here over the last year. Could someone just give me a simple yes or no to the question.........were there possibly off the pitch reasons for why Gower under performed on occasions last season and could
those reasons have prompted him into wanting to make a 'new start' at Swansea?
Secondly and more worrying can we assume that Tilly's comments ten days or so ago, were a desperate last attempt to try and change his decision. Knowing that Gower is an important element of his squad and one that he is going to find very difficult to replace.

I'm not overly bothered that hes gone. I've absolute faith in Tilly and Brush to bring in a replacement. The only concern for me was that we offered him a new, 2 year contract, when he was out of contract. Why did we not extend his contract last year, or at the very least during the season?

I'm not overly bothered that hes gone. I've absolute faith in Tilly and Brush to bring in a replacement. The only concern for me was that we offered him a new, 2 year contract, when he was out of contract. Why did we not extend his contract last year, or at the very least during the season?

Probably because Gower was quite happy to let it run down in the knowledge that he would be able to move on a free, and possibly pick up a nice signing on fee from whichever club he joined.

Good luck to him he's been a good servant to this club and deserves all good wishes.

I can't believe this has actually happened, I was very close to sheading a tear this morning when I was woken up by the text from the club.

Mark Gower has been one of my favourite players over the past 5 years of him being at the club. When people would slag him off I would always stick up for him.

I wish him all the best at Swansea, thank you for 5 great years of service.

I dont agree that his best years are ahead of him if i am honest. I think that he has played his best football here

Personally I am gutted as I think he is a fantastic player on his day, scorer of great goals and full of creativity. I think he will be sorely missed but I fear at 29 his best days are behind him as fitness wise he has never been the best.

Would loved him to have stayed and shame we went to ****ing Swansea but least they are not in our league.

Cheers for the good times big man.

Brush quote "We made Mark a very very good offer....it is refreshing at least he has chosen ambition over money & you can't stand in his way when that happens"

Looking at the Swans page Martinez says Gower is on performance related pay so by all accounts we made a better offer on his basic wage than Swansea.

I wonder, at 29 years old, how many players would've taken the money over ambition?
Respect to Gower.

Although not my most favourite player he will leave a big hole in our side.
Thanks for the memories mate.

We wouldn't have offered Gower more than Swansea have offered him. Last year they were paying 4 or 5kp/w to the players that deserved it, whereas our top performers were on 3k max... They're now in a league above us with a far superior income and fan base to support it. The pay may be Performance related, as in goal/assist bonus's, but he'll be on a large packet at Swansea, make no bones about that.

Personally, I don't think it's the end of the world as some people are portraying here. Yes, he's a great player on his day, but too many times last season did he go missing and sulk about the pitch if things weren't going his way. As I said earlier, I'd rather have a good player 9 times out of 10, than a fantastic player 4 or 5 times.

In terms of replacements, there are a few Arsenal starlets that Arsenal are looking to give experience, and with our seeming ties with them I'd look at getting someone in from them. It's a shame Puncheon left for Plymouth, as he'd be a perfect replacement... Gower, with pace.

Last edited:
Skysports News about Gower

Just seen on skysports News "ticker" system. and i quote

"out of contract Southend United Winger Mark Gower signs long term contract with Swansea"

Can you believe this. he made himself "out of contract"

Good luck Mark. Thanks for all the great goals

Back