• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mohsniisgod

Mark Gower popped into where I work on Monday (5 mins away from Boots & Laces so was a bit suspicious, although the team are abroad in Spain!)

Instantly recognised him before asking his name.

Started speaking about football and he said he's without a club after leaving Charlton.

Asked him where he might be heading and if he had any clubs lined up, he said that no clubs had been in touch since he got released.

I joked/hinted that maybe he should come back to Southend - he laughed and said he doesn't think his knee can run anymore and he thinks he will just retire.

Also noted he was in Southend only to watch his son play - who coincidentally plays for the Under 11s youth team.

Reckon he could still play one season in League Two? Cheap wages too perhaps, as a final year before retirement? Or am I being too optimistic and unrealistic?

Mark Gower popped into where I work on Monday (5 mins away from Boots & Laces so was a bit suspicious, although the team are abroad in Spain!)

Started speaking about football and he said he's without a club after leaving Charlton.

Asked him where he might be heading and if he had any clubs lined up, he said that no clubs had been in touch since he got released.

I joked/hinted that maybe he should come back to Southend - he laughed and said he doesn't think his knee can run anymore and he thinks he will just retire.

Also noted he was in Southend only to watch his son play - who coincidentally plays for the Under 11s youth team.

Reckon he could still play one season in League Two? Cheap wages too perhaps, as a final year before retirement? Or am I being too optimistic and unrealistic?

You're being too optimistic and unrealistic.

You might reckon he could play one more year but apparently he doesn't

Sounds like the player himself doesn't think he could play another season. What we reckon is immaterial.

No. .............

I don't think he'll be the pacey winger we all remember. I think in the games he played in for Charlton, he was used more as a defensive midfielder who could ping the long balls over the top. I'm glad he fulfilled his dream of playing in the Premier League after working his way up through the leagues and had a cracking performance for the Swans v Chelsea. Gower would be welcome back anytime at Roots Hall, but I think he will retire.

If he told you his knees are done then I would personally stay well clear.

One of my favourite Southend players.Think by sound of it his career looks like it could be over,but what great memories like that great goal at Bristol Rovers in 2005

HANG ON A MOMENT!

That means Gower and Eastwood in the same team again:omg:

I think this u11 team is already in my top 3 all time Southend sides, alongside the 1990-91 side and any side containing Mark Bentley.

Seeing as Eastwood and Barnard's knees are/were done we might as well go for the trifecta.

Back