• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Milligan opinion

Interesting are the comments about how well he's done for Australia.
But take a look at his club CV.
Take out Hibernian (2018-19), and his background is a 26-game season from October to May played in good weather for the likes of Melbourne Victory.
What in the wide, wide, world of sports was a League One outfit doing signing a 34-year-old whose interest in us is about the same as mine in Western Sydney Wanderers!!!
BTW, some posters have called him Millican. Wot, like Sarah? Or is that the joke?

Last edited:
Milligan has probably been peed off since he realized there will be no coaching job once Campbell brought in his own crew. Probably feels he has been stitched up, hence the main reason for his performances.

Another theory is.......It was only after how unprofessional some of our players were and how they wouldn't play for Bond, that his performances went down hill.

He was one of our better players in the first few games, he could even play some decent long passes as well as look busy talking to his team. Then there was a home game when he got a good covering tackle over by our bench but took a real whack on the inner knee (we all know how much that hurts). He stayed on but struggled and ended up being targeted along with Bond as we hadn't won......Some say he has never played anywhere near 100% since.

Some of the more 'senior players' claim he is arrogant. So maybe that is why Sol has gone for a neutral none captain in Dieng......Just like CP had to when he arrived and when he picked Oxley for the next season, even though he didn't like keepers as captains......Who knew these problems would continue?

Anyway JMcCall, i wouldn't take much notice of me. I'm just having wild guesses so lets stick to popular opinion......Not only is Miiligan c***......He is a Bond signing so we should hate him. Plus he has only player Scottish football and with out doubt we would be top of the SPL if we were playing up there.

If only we had kept Timlin and Wordsworth. Honestly i wasn't one of the people who demanded we upgraded and continually slagged them.......It was everyone else.

Disappointing. There is a player in there somewhere, and I think he can play the odd incisive ball forward, and looks for that, however as AndyT said earlier in the thread, I think the fact that he is in a poor side has made him look poorer. Always going backwards, being overrun etc.

I think in a better side, he would be a better player, but would also need the right midfield partner beside him. Ironically, I think Dru would of been perfect!!

There's a big difference between 'being in a poor side' and being 'part of a poor side'. In my opinion, the latter applies to him.

In any league if you are a good player in a poor team you shine out not look like an also-ran.

That is how players move up the leagues in most cases.

Milligan does not fit that categorie and IMO i doubt he ever has even if he is on his last legs as a Pro.

Last edited:
Another theory is.......It was only after how unprofessional some of our players were and how they wouldn't play for Bond, that his performances went down hill.

He was one of our better players in the first few games, he could even play some decent long passes as well as look busy talking to his team. Then there was a home game when he got a good covering tackle over by our bench but took a real whack on the inner knee (we all know how much that hurts). He stayed on but struggled and ended up being targeted along with Bond as we hadn't won......Some say he has never played anywhere near 100% since.

Some of the more 'senior players' claim he is arrogant. So maybe that is why Sol has gone for a neutral none captain in Dieng......Just like CP had to when he arrived and when he picked Oxley for the next season, even though he didn't like keepers as captains......Who knew these problems would continue?

Anyway JMcCall, i wouldn't take much notice of me. I'm just having wild guesses so lets stick to popular opinion......Not only is Miiligan c***......He is a Bond signing so we should hate him. Plus he has only player Scottish football and with out doubt we would be top of the SPL if we were playing up there.

If only we had kept Timlin and Wordsworth. Honestly i wasn't one of the people who demanded we upgraded and continually slagged them.......It was everyone else.
So you appear to have had a dig in one post at (at least) Bond, CP, senior players, Sol, zoners, fans in general, Milligan himself etc etc.
What exactly is your point?
Who are the 'some' who have said he hasn't been the same player since one particular tackle?
Are we seriously supposed to believe that was enough to turn him from an international captain to an inadequate League one player?
Who are the senior players who forced CP to make Oxley captain?
Which players consider MM arrogant?
Who forced Sol to make Dieng captain?
Come on, you keep hinting at stuff you know is going on.
If it's true, why so coy?

IMO on Saturday Mark had his best game so far in a Southend shirt.

Granted that doesn't really set the bar very high, but given all the negative posts about him I thought it would be worthwhile redressing the balance somewhat.

Hopefully that will be start of a general improvement in his form.

Granted that doesn't really set the bar very high, but given all the negative posts about him I thought it would be worthwhile redressing the balance somewhat.

Agree it doesnt set it high and agree it was a better performance. However he still hits a lot of wayward passes, the free kick he took was awful, and he gets dragged to far wide leaving the middle to exposed.

BUt like i say was a better performance overall.

I have to agree
I thought that in the final 30 mins he was actually quite good
Strange really cos prior to Saturday he had faded away completely in the second halves

I have to agree
I thought that in the final 30 mins he was actually quite good
Strange really cos prior to Saturday he had faded away completely in the second halves

And he wasn't the only player who tired early in games pre Sol. Dieng could never do more than 70 minutes, or Kiernan: nowadays they DO all appear fitter to play an entire start to finish at a good tempo. The ex Gunner fitness coach knows his stuff?

I watched him the entire time he was at Melbourne Victory, never played in defence always as holding/ non attacking centre midfielder. Was ok but never blew me away. Plus he left Victory twice because of a better cash offer in some random country both times midway through the season.
Given Sol’s history he should fit well both Judas’

Standing out to me, are the last two or three appearances by MM. Each has been improved and I can’t accept that the exclusion, firstly from the pitch and latterly from the squad, of Cox, has nothing to do with it. In fact, there are one or two others that seem to be improving without Cox’s presence. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see this trend continue.

Standing out to me, are the last two or three appearances by MM. Each has been improved and I can’t accept that the exclusion, firstly from the pitch and latterly from the squad, of Cox, has nothing to do with it. In fact, there are one or two others that seem to be improving without Cox’s presence. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see this trend continue.
Tend to agree with you there, from my lofty vantage point in the East Greens I am surrounded by 'Milligan knockers' just look at the man play he's a pretty classy act, the only problem is he thinks three times faster than the rest of the squad. Fans of a 'certain' age will remember Anton Otulakowski, when he first arrived he was laying off and passing balls that the rest of the side hadn't got the savvy to see what he was doing.

I am sorry the guy is out injured, he has started to look a proper player and won me around to putting his name down in a starting line up without any real concerns.
We certainly seem double jinxed.

Back