• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Mark Molesley appointed as manager

I think we need to move one now , we have to trust in MM and his ability at lower league level to weed out any bad eggs and Lennon rightly had to eat humble pie for a few weeks but there are a lot worse things going on in the world right now to worry about a young lad not using his brain.

I think any striker will benefit from a better playing style of football with forward passing players around them , trust me Eastwood wouldn't have got no where near as many goals or made the career he had without the likes of Gower , Maher , Goater , Gray all doing their bit to create chances .
Creative play will always give forwards opportunities to make runs and get on the end of things , the past 2 seasons has been painful to watch as our style has been more about trying not to lose than it has been about trying to win .

This is what a new fresh Manager with positive style of play can bring to this club , im hoping the feel good factor will return and i can enjoy watching the Blues again .
for me there is nothing worse than leaving a ground losing ,knowing that the team wasn;t even brave enough to try and win the game , that was Campbell worst trait as a manager because he knew thats how it worked with Macc .

MM is on a roll and lets hope it rubs off on the players as im feeling optimistic about the season now , that we will at least go out and play to win.

The amount of times I walked out of Roots Hall last year hearing the cheers of our opponents ringing in my ears! When I finally go back there I want to be walking out after most games with a big smile on my face. I want to see disgruntled opposition fans shuffling up Victoria Avenue bemoaning a loss and how they were played off the park. I can dream can’t I? ?

The amount of times I walked out of Roots Hall last year hearing the cheers of our opponents ringing in my ears! When I finally go back there I want to be walking out after most games with a big smile on my face. I want to see disgruntled opposition fans shuffling up Victoria Avenue bemoaning a loss and how they were played off the park. I can dream can’t I? ?

Id just like to have the ability to go!

I hope you decide to stay part of SZ. Yours is one of the best posts I've read on here for a long time.

By staying on SZ, you will be able to:

1. Keep track on how MM is doing.
2. More importantly, bring a degree of perspective when results aren't going well and some fans decide to immediately blame the new manager.

Our club has been rotting for 2 years + and any new manager needs time to sort this out!

It's going to be a pretty intense fixture list this season so not sure how often our games won't clash but suspect I'll be watching you if they don't.

I'm also hoping MM will take one or two young players from us on loan as they should know each other pretty well so I can see i being beneficial all round. I can also see him potentially trying to pick up a few that previously been part of the youth setup or been released recently. It's normal for most managers to try and bring in a few players with whom they're familiar.

For what it's worth, I think I saw someone mention Josh McQuoid. That's definintely one you want to avoid!

Southend away used to be a good trip. However, with the best will in the world, I hope we aren't playing you next season!

McQuoid is due to sign, or may have already signed, up with Weymouth for next season, despite MM moving on. He’s not someone we’re looking to sign.

Let me get this right.
You're saying the thicker you are the less culpable you are?
So, by that standard it pays to be naive, thoughtless, and disrespectful because you'll be forgiven.
On a previous post, it was claimed he just 'happened' to be in a pub after a catastrophic defeat on live TV with players from the club we had just surrendered to.
Really?
Many have said he was there because he could give a rat's arse about Southend's result.

You're entitled to your opinion as am I. Personally given the toxic environment in the club last season it wouldn't surprise me if most of the players couldn't give a rats arse at that time. They certainly played like it. I'm happy to give all of them (or those still here) a second chance because circumstances change. Maybe you're not the kind for second chances, fair enough.

It's going to be a pretty intense fixture list this season so not sure how often our games won't clash but suspect I'll be watching you if they don't.

I'm also hoping MM will take one or two young players from us on loan as they should know each other pretty well so I can see i being beneficial all round. I can also see him potentially trying to pick up a few that previously been part of the youth setup or been released recently. It's normal for most managers to try and bring in a few players with whom they're familiar.

For what it's worth, I think I saw someone mention Josh McQuoid. That's definintely one you want to avoid!

Southend away used to be a good trip. However, with the best will in the world, I hope we aren't playing you next season!
It sounded like we may be bringing in some analysts he knows from your side. Any ideas on names/reputations there?

Without knowing a thing about the lad, why's he an obvious avoid?

I'm going to have to ramble a bit for this one (again!) I'm afraid.

Before the Russian arrived our last owner was a local property developer 'colourful character' (only owner ever to be banned by 5live for persistent swearing on live radio, he also came onto the pitch after a match and called out a fan wearing a leather jacket onto the pitch over the PA for a fight with him. Two amongst many other lowlights). He lucked out with Howe being our manager as a bunch of cast offs were turned into valuable player commodities through our success on the pitch and suddenly he could start selling them off.

He sold Brett Pitman to Bristol City for about £800k around the end of August but told Eddie there would be no money for a replacement. So Howe looked around in the squad and identified a young winger called Josh McQuoid. He hadn't really looked all that good when he'd played and I think most of us thought he might be released when his contract ran out. Howe stuck him in as a striker to replace Pitman which, if you'd seen him play, would have been far from anyone else's idea. McQuoid almost instantly went on a hot streak with five goals in his first four games and a hattrick not long after that. From nowhere he looked a player!

So much so that Championship Millwall though they were stealing a march on everyone by buying him in November (loan instantly, sale going through in Jan) for £500k. As an aside, Howe was again told he wouldn't get any of the money for a replacement so this time promoted from the youth team a young guy who none of us fans had even registered before by the name of Danny Ings. Hell that man could spot a player.

McQuoid totally flopped at Millwall, his hot streak was that once in a career purple patch that players sometimes go on. Millwall wanted shot. Meanwhile the Russian money arrived only with lunatics in charge of spending it and the idiots went and bought McQuoid back. The equivalent of buying back the London bridge from the Americans.

He was dire when he came back. When Howe returned he was forced to play him during the season that was underway but as soon as he could start bringing in his own players I don't think he ever played for us again until his contract expired. He did go on two separate loans to L1 clubs who didn't then want to sign him.

Since then he's bounced from club to club dropping down the divisions, looks like five clubs in five seasons.

He may be a very nice guy. He may work hard on the training ground. I don't know him so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt there. However, he managed to turn a ten match 'good spell' into 5 years worth of very well paid contracts with little to show on the pitch.

You can do better.

Last edited:
It sounded like we may be bringing in some analysts he knows from your side. Any ideas on names/reputations there?

Sorry, can't help you with that one. I'll be honest, I don't know the name of a single analyst at the club. I guess I'm too middle aged! I appreciate they're an important part of the modern game but have never really shown much interest in who they are in the same way I might with a coach. Happy enough to admit the results are impressive though.

Hi guys

Good to see you guys seem happy with the Molesley appointment.

I'm not a Southend fan, but i've just written a piece about todays news on my blog, if you guys fancy checking it out/sharing/giving me dogs abuse for getting stuff wrong, it's all more than welcome!

https://thefloodlightblog.blogspot.com/2020/08/mark-molesley-unveiled-as-southend.html?spref=tw
that's solid mate. I'm happy to give you a share online. Got a twitter account linked to the blog to promote it?

I'm going to have to ramble a bit for this one (again!) I'm afraid.

Before the Russian arrived our last owner was a local property developer 'colourful character' (only owner ever to be banned by 5live for persistent swearing on live radio, he also came onto the pitch after a match and called out a fan wearing a leather jacket onto the pitch over the PA for a fight with him. Two amongst many other lowlights). He lucked out with Howe being our manager as a bunch of cast offs were turned into valuable player commodities through our success on the pitch and suddenly he could start selling them off.

He sold Brett Pitman to Bristol City for about £800k around the end of August but told Eddie there would be no money for a replacement. So Howe looked around in the squad and identified a young winger called Josh McQuoid. He hadn't really looked all that good when he'd played and I think most of us thought he might be released when his contract ran out. Howe stuck him in as a striker to replace Pitman which, if you'd seen him play, would have been far from anyone else's idea. McQuoid almost instantly went on a hot streak with five goals in his first four games and a hattrick not long after that. From nowhere he looked a player!

So much so that Championship Millwall though they were stealing a march on everyone by buying him in November (loan instantly, sale going through in Jan) for £500k. As an aside, Howe was again told he wouldn't get any of the money for a replacement so this time promoted from the youth team a young guy who none of us fans had even registered before by the name of Danny Ings. Hell that man could spot a player.

McQuoid totally flopped at Millwall, his hot streak was that once in a career purple patch that players sometimes go on. Millwall wanted shot. Meanwhile the Russian money arrived only with lunatics in charge of spending it and the idiots went and bought McQuoid back. The equivalent of buying back the London bridge from the Americans.

He was dire when he came back. When Howe returned he was forced to play him during the season that was underway but as soon as he could start bringing in his own players I don't think he ever played for us again until his contract expired. He did go on two separate loans to L1 clubs who didn't then want to sign him.

Since then he's bounced from club to club dropping down the divisions, looks like five clubs in five seasons.

He may be a very nice guy. He may work hard on the training ground. I don't know him so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt there. However, he managed to turn a ten match 'good spell' into 5 years worth of very well paid contracts with little to show on the pitch.

You can do better.
Top top post, fantastic insight. As previously mentioned, please stick around ?

Just musing on the thought that if we could flashback to a month or so ago when we started searching for a manager and could see the site heading picture of MM. Would the response be "Who the hell is that?" (Would anyone have recognised him?.......apart from our visitors of course.) Most of us would have been expecting someone recognisable Actually, when you re-read Ron's criteria, MM fits pretty well. The other amazing thing is that there has been (not that I've seen) no criticism of his choice............far from it, MM has been received with unaminous enthusiasm. If Ron lands FF as well, some will surely be making the trip to Rome to have a word with the Pope! :Smile::Winking::Winking:

Back