• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Molesley interview Sky Sports News today @ 2.30pm

A team without JD. A formation that doesn't have 2 defensive midfielders. A team that has 2 players that know when to shoot. That's a start...
What 2 players are we leaving out that know how to shoot more than the players already being selected?

It’s not a trick question....saying what not to do is the easy bit...
If all the new lads are fit and available I would probably go with

Oxley

Bwomono
White
Hobson
Clifford

Ferguson
Dieng/ Mellis

Holmes
Akinola
Olyinka

Ranger

Subs
Seadon
Hart
Nathanial George
K Taylor
Mellis / Dieng
Hackett Fairchild
Goodship

If all the new lads are fit and available I would probably go with

Oxley

Bwomono
White
Hobson
Clifford

Ferguson
Dieng/ Mellis

Holmes
Akinola
Olyinka

Ranger

Subs
Seadon
Hart
Nathanial George
K Taylor
Mellis / Dieng
Hackett Fairchild
Goodship

Hard to disagree thats potentially our best 11 at the moment. Argument to replace White (who hasnt been great) and stick Dieng back there as Hobson and Dieng were having a decent partnership (isnt it right they havent conceeded when playing together?)

That would allow Mellis / Macca into MF.

But other than that, I'd be happy with the rest. Holmes cameo Saturday was incredibly encouraging we are going to be creating more chances.

Hard to disagree thats potentially our best 11 at the moment. Argument to replace White (who hasnt been great) and stick Dieng back there as Hobson and Dieng were having a decent partnership (isnt it right they havent conceeded when playing together?)

That would allow Mellis / Macca into MF.

But other than that, I'd be happy with the rest. Holmes cameo Saturday was incredibly encouraging we are going to be creating more chances.
Agree Dieng could go back in stead of white, may give us more mobility. I would not start Macca now (as we have a far better squad on paper than we did), i would use him to hopefully se out games for last 20-30 minutes and just sit in front of the back 4

Agree Dieng could go back in stead of white, may give us more mobility. I would not start Macca now (as we have a far better squad on paper than we did), i would use him to hopefully se out games for last 20-30 minutes and just sit in front of the back 4

Agree with how to use Macca. He's very good at game management, and can slot into the defensive line easily too.

Not unless the project gets ditched and we go back to trying to win football games.

#ftheproject

Ha! You know the project's not going to get ditched (until the end of the season at least).As you've recognised we've dropped the tippy ,tappy football style since that Walsall away game.The last 3 games show up the weaknesses of the Mark 2 Project though.We're now set up to stay in the game as long as possible and hopfully nick a goal too.That worked at Newport,not quite at Cambridge (though we weren't worth more than a point there) and not at all on Saturday.Granted Ox was incredibly unlucky to conceed that goal which cost us a well deserved point.That's always going to happen if you can't score.I know you're a fan of Holmes but how do you feel about NR coming back?

Can’t believe the ‘ditch John White’ comments.
If people think our issues are as a result of JW playing , well .... I have no words.
Just for clarity i am not saying ditch JW at all, just saying Dieng is an alternate today there next to Hobson or in fact next to JW.

I do think he hasnt been at his best this year, certainly not at the levels he has been before but JW is an asset to this club and his influence is much needed

Ha! You know the project's not going to get ditched (until the end of the season at least).As you've recognised we've dropped the tippy ,tappy football style since that Walsall away game.The last 3 games show up the weaknesses of the Mark 2 Project though.We're now set up to stay in the game as long as possible and hopfully nick a goal too.That worked at Newport,not quite at Cambridge (though we weren't worth more than a point there) and not at all on Saturday.Granted Ox was incredibly unlucky to conceed that goal which cost us a well deserved point.That's always going to happen if you can't score.I know you're a fan of Holmes but how do you feel about NR coming back?

Well deserved point?

Presumably iFollow was buffering in Barcelona in the first half.......

Re NR, we desperately need a big strong forward and a goalscorer so if NR can succeed in either of those roles and MM is happy for him to be in the squad then no problem.

We have only one proven goalscorer but he has been injured and needs strong support like Big Roy used to give Richard Cadette and David Crown.

Apparently he has recovered but he wasn’t in the 18 on Saturday.

Injured again or another baffling team selection?

Let’s hope for ten 20 yard free kicks and four penalties every game.

Well deserved point?

Presumably iFollow was buffering in Barcelona in the first half.......

Re NR, we desperately need a big strong forward and a goalscorer so if NR can succeed in either of those roles and MM is happy for him to be in the squad then no problem.
We have only one proven goalscorer but he has been injured and needs strong support like Big Roy used to give Richard Cadette and David Crown.

Apparently he has recovered but he wasn’t in the 18 on Saturday.

Injured again or another baffling team selection?

Let’s hope for ten 20 yard free kicks and four penalties every game.

I'm not talking about the first game at RH where we deserved to lose IMO (for only taking one first half chance) whereas when they got the wind in the 2nd half they took full advantage and scored twice.

At the Abbey I thought we deserved a point.No buffering here either.

NR's strike rate even last time around wasn't that great about 10 in 50 games, IIRC.As Paul Clark said on Saturday (again no buffering ) It all depends on which NR we're going to get.The one who scored 8 in his first 20 or so games or the one who had "problems" aferwards.

Anyway it's always a roller coaster ride with us -bit like the old days at the Kursaal.No goals just adds to the "thrills" on the ride.:Winking:

I'm not talking about the first game at RH where we deserved to lose IMO (for only taking one first half chance) whereas when they got the wind in the 2nd half they took full advantage and scored twice.

At the Abbey I thought we deserved a point.No buffering here either.

NR's strike rate even last time around wasn't that great about 10 in 50 games, IIRC.As Paul Clark said on Saturday (again no buffering ) It all depends on which NR we're going to get.The one who scored 8 in his first 20 or so games or the one who had "problems" aferwards.

Anyway it's always a roller coaster ride with us -bit like the old days at the Kursaal.No goals just adds to the "thrills" on the ride.:Winking:

Sadly there have been very few thrills (or frills) available from the Blues for a long while now.

For the record, I was commenting on Ox was incredibly unlucky to conceed (sic) that goal which cost us a well deserved point. - not the Cambridge game.

We got exactly what we deserved on Saturday - Jack S**t.

We are heading into the business end of the season. Regards to the manager, these final 17 games will determine if this manager upto league 2 standard! He has players at his disposal so no excuses on that front but could argue another striker is needed. Could be defining last 17 games for both MM and the football club! Let's hope he keeps us up.

Sadly there have been very few thrills (or frills) available from the Blues for a long while now.

For the record, I was commenting on Ox was incredibly unlucky to conceed (sic) that goal which cost us a well deserved point. - not the Cambridge game.

We got exactly what we deserved on Saturday - Jack S**t.

That's harsh.

Obviously (I think) I was joking (as regards your first point).You used to have a fine sense of irony.

Pick me a team and tell me how in your opinion, we should play.

Formation, Tactics and game plan?

Football is a simple game, which is often unnecessarily complicated by some coaches.

You're probably too young to remember the Bill Nicholson push and run team of the early sixties, the Brazil team of 1970, the Argentina team of 1978 and the Blues team of the late sixties.

Those sides, in my opinion, epitomised the way football should be played.

So - to the answers to your question, although not in the order that you set out.

The first and most important thing is

Game Plan.

The objective should be to win each game so:
  • each player should be playing in the position that he is most comfortable
  • each player should know his job and what is required of him individually and for the team (shape etc)
  • each player should think and play in a positive manner - that also includes hoofing the ball into touch when the situation dictates
  • let the opposition worry about us and certainly not change our plans to worry about them unless they are significantly better than us or have one or two outstanding individuals (neither should often apply in the fourth division)
Tactics
  • the team should be instructed to push on together in shape with the objective of playing as much of the game as possible in the opposition half
  • give 100 percent effort and never give up
  • no tippy tappy crap in your own half but positive short passing in your own half when there is no danger is fine
  • above all else be positive
Formation
  • my preference is 4 4 2. It's easy, everyone has been coached to play it and it's effective (mind you - I liked 2 3 5 back in the pre Ramsey days)
Team for Wednesday

Oxley (because there is no-one else - adequate competition should have been signed)

Demetriou (harsh on Elvis but no harm in giving him a rest)
White (no brainer)
Hobson
Clifford (and don't take him off unless he's injured}

Dieng
McCormack (for 60 minutes or until he is injured or sent from the field)
Mellis (if he's any good and fit - if not Ferguson)
Holmes (he wanted to play in the Barrow game and nearly 2 months later he still hasn't started a game)

Ranger (if he's fit -if not Akinola)
Goodship (give him a run of games up front with a big creative partner and in my opinion he will score goals - trouble is we now seem to need too many even for Christiano Ronaldo).

Subs

Seaden
Elvis
Hart
ANG
HF
Akinola (or K Taylor)
Ferguson (or K Taylor or Halford)
Acquah

#ftheproject

Back