• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Molesley

With the squad we had it was to be expected. The two draws (and incidentally the better performances) have come once he has been able to sign some better players. The difference now is that we haven’t had to wait until it’s far too late to see decent performances. We will stay up this season and we can build from there. I think you are expecting far too much from a very damaged club and MM appears to be doing a good job and fixing our cracks.

My expectations are actually pretty low and I am well aware of the situation MM walked into. However I am not going to get excited over a manager just because he says what people want to hear to Chris Phillips. Yes there have been improvements since the opening day but that was one of the worst results in the history of our club so the bar was set pretty low. I sincerely hope he turns it around, none of us wants to end up in the conference or worse but personally I have severe doubts about his ability

No, I’m not getting excited over two draws but the performances in both games have given me a lot to be optimistic about. In recent years and even this season when we’ve gone a goal behind we’ve tended to fall apart and go on to lose by two or three. Against Crawley we showed some fight and quality and got back in to the game. Today we played a team who many tip to challenge for promotion once again and we not only matched them, we deserved to take all three points. I grant you, MM is still learned on the job but he is learned fast (like abandoning the playing from the back at goal kicks to name one example). As much as you say we can’t get excited after x amount of games, I don’t see how after the same amount of games you can say that the bloke is useless. The fact of the matter is this, over the last two seasons this football club has had a losing mentality to it. We’ve simply been an embarrassment, a walk over for everyone. MM is changing that, slowly but change is happening. We are matching up against very good teams at this level, yes as you say it’s only two draws but last season these games would have been two defeats. Our first three points isn’t to far away, I’m sure of it.

Agree with every word. Great post!

Really can't stand the bloke, talks the talk but there is no substance behind it. Hobson his first proper signing has been hopeless, Green wasn't much better. His tactical naivety was shown up again today, hopefully we will never see Hobson at RB again, and why didn't he bring on another defender or a DMC at the end to close the game out. You might get away with bit in non league but not at professional level. Anyone got a number for Fagan??

Did he run over your cat?

My expectations are actually pretty low and I am well aware of the situation MM walked into. However I am not going to get excited over a manager just because he says what people want to hear to Chris Phillips. Yes there have been improvements since the opening day but that was one of the worst results in the history of our club so the bar was set pretty low. I sincerely hope he turns it around, none of us wants to end up in the conference or worse but personally I have severe doubts about his ability

Look that’s all well and good, and that’s great for you. Can you not understand why other Zoners are optimistic? Having watched the last two games it is impossible to not see the game on game improvement in so many aspects of the team and our performances.

Look that’s all well and good, and that’s great for you. Can you not understand why other Zoners are optimistic? Having watched the last two games it is impossible to not see the game on game improvement in so many aspects of the team and our performances.

No not really but everyone is entitled to their opinion, yet I seem to get a load of personal abuse for mine,

No not really but everyone is entitled to their opinion, yet I seem to get a load of personal abuse for mine,

Fair enough - but I do think you’ve encountered polite incredulity rather than abuse, just about. You won’t be alone in not being convinced, I guess. I’m betting you will be before long though. MM and his team are working wonders and results are on the way, mark my words.

Have you actually watched the games? Or just read about them? Anyone watching can see improvement, so I assume it’s the latter. I agree you are entitled to you own opinion but it seems so far from the truth that it’s hard to respect it

Fair enough - but I do think you’ve encountered polite incredulity rather than abuse, just about. You won’t be alone in not being convinced, I guess. I’m betting you will be before long though. MM and his team are working wonders and results are on the way, mark my words.

Like I said I hope the results do come I really do, but its going to take more than a couple of draws to convince me that MM is a great manager. For what its worth he is better than that clown we had before Sol who's name I have wiped from memory

Like I said I hope the results do come I really do, but its going to take more than a couple of draws to convince me that MM is a great manager. For what its worth he is better than that clown we had before Sol who's name I have wiped from memory

Not a single person has claimed that. What they do realise is the difficulty of the task facing MM. Made 200% harder when all his experienced players were injured. Then everyones first choice strike partnership of Humphrys and Kelman are not an option due to finances and their personal choices. Plus having to pair two CB's with about 2 professional games between them

The last two games have clearly been an improvement and have shown many of us fans that we will not be struggling in the bottom two for the next 6 months. Fair enough you don't want to give him any credit for that but stop grizzling that you have been personally abused..... You haven't. People have just rightly challenged that opinion.

Just to remind you this is a forum and they also have a right to their opinion....About your opinion.

If you live by the sword you die by it.

Last edited:
MM has had a very Harsh introduction to league football , it’s a different beast to non league and he is finding his feet , he’s been naive perhaps in a couple of occasions but I will look past all that because he is working all the hours to try and get this right .
He seems To have the majority of players buying into his methods and the fans are coming round too , we all knew on here what needed to happen with our under achieving squad and MM is seeking to rip that up and start again .....it’s what was needed but what comes with that is a mixing pot of new players who are not quite in sync with each other , that will come .
If the manager is out in the training ground all hours then surely this will rub on the players who in the past 3 seasons done the bare minimum to pass as pro footballers , the characters being bought in are hopefully the polar opposite to that .
Keep working hard Mark and I’m sure it will pay off for yourself and the team

Yep 2 draws in 8 games with 6 defeats and no wins yep doing a cracking job.

Wow, have you seen what the guy is dealing with ? No money, limited squad and mainly youngsters I think MM is the reason we have 2 points on the board.

Who in your opinion has been a better manager recently and would have done better in these opening games?

You’ve heard players interviews and they have said how good he is.

Have a day off mate...MM is better than any manager we’ve had for a long time. I appreciate its early days still, but seriously...jog on
this probably had a lot to do with the refreshing feel.
we had 'jobs for the boy's bond and 'look at my arse on social media' sol. !!! Neither had passion for southend or even a desire to work hard.
from turning up with Harry an hour before games to wearing purple velour pyjamas bottoms to oversee training!!!
I'll take M M anyday. There with his team till 9 or 10 some nights analysing videos and stats.
Sure, he's not pep! But we sure ain't man city
I'm happy with him

What were you expecting? Molesley to come in and us be pushing for the title? The squad was depleted from day one and still isn’t at full strength. Once Molesley has his fully fit first 11 and results aren’t coming then I feel you can be critical of the guy if we are playing ****. We are 5 games into the season! Every game has been an improvement and come on we were 40 seconds away from winning yesterday against the team that lost in the play off final and will be up there this season.

Give the guy a chance I think he’s worked wonders because let’s face it he was given a right pile of ****e! He has come from a great atmosphere in a team that had back to back promotions. He knows success (yes in a lower league) and once that mentality is instilled into HIS team we will do well.

Im not expecting promotion, play offs etc. This season was always about survival and if you thought otherwise I want some of what you’re smoking. I think Molesley will help steer us away from relegation and we will have a respectable finish and it’s all about next season.

Feel sorry for the bloke. Until we get things corrected off the pitch it's going to be an incredibly difficult job and the future for the club is bleak.
Yes!!!! Though seems to have come in 'eyes open' with knowledge of lots of what was bubbling under the surface. A few additional surprises were found I think but not totally unexpected. What he can't have prepared for is RMs never ending story telling and false promises. They can only properly be experienced once here and involved.
It is a step up for him so enthusiasm is understandable but it does seem that isn't a short lived thing and that his current approach is actually part of his character generally which I like.
I've had enough of clown managers for a while and a manager that is at least trying 100% and knowledgeable is fine with me. More importantly.... It seems fine by the players too! (Bar one!)

I think that MM is doing a really good job, not perfect of course but really good. He has clearly got the players on his side and has brought optimism and enthusiasm with him. He believes in an attractive style of football which will perhaps have to be amended depending on our opponents. Yesterday was a pretty clean game against a team that play football and lack a thuggish element and our style of play was right. By contrast Morecambe were tough and uncompromising, largely uninterested in playing football and we seemed to have no answer. Note where Morecambe's style has taken them in the table.....

For what it's worth I don't think that the Harrogate defeat was one of our worst, far from it. As soon as the fixtures came out I said that we could hardly have had a worse opening game against a team high on adrenaline at their first ever EFL match. It seemed obvious to me that our young team was going to be overrun.

Back