• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Molesley

I will never get over December and January, the absolute jubilance and good memories of such a great month of December, playing 4 at the back, winning match after match, scoring goals, all during an embargo as well, just to change it all to 5 at the back in January because he looked at some random statistics from his 'analysts', it genuinely baffled me, yes his hands were tied in various different ways, but he will never be forgiven after that January, and god forbid he does the same at Aldershot. You should never rely on stats in football, because sometimes you just have to play classic football.

Do you have any inside knowledge that “random” stats from his analyst determined his tactics in January? Or is that just a theory that suits your own narrative? Even if he did use some form of match analysis or player stats (which is highly likely) it’s highly doubtful they were “random” and given Southend’s squad size and player availability it’s highly unlikely they were the driving force behind key tactical decisions like formation. It’s much more likely that was determined by availability and opposition analysis.

I’d guess that just about every club in the world who play at an equivalent level of national league or above use stats. The most successful clubs / managers use them more than most. They have a ‘live’ reading in game that helps them make decisions tactically and physically for substitutions. Denis Bergkamp was regularly substituted by Arsenal Wenger late in games as his ‘stats’ clearly demonstrated he tired considerably, made less sprints and less runs resulting in less passes or game involvements. The same is the reason why Lacazette is substituted on or around 70 mins most weeks…his physical condition deteriorates rapidly at this point.

Involvements, movements, weaknesses, strengths, speeds, distances, players loads, fatigue are all measured and used by all clubs to determine training schedules, training focus, selections, rotations, formations…etc etc etc.

Whether Southend have access to that kind of expertise is another matter. Having the technology is one thing, but having the expertise to interpret it accurately or usefully is another matter, but I do know they have GPS data for all players that will give physical performance from games. However I also know there was a period when their access to Hudl (a game analysis tool) was denied during a difficult financial period ?

However to simply blame results on an unfounded accusation that he used “random” stats to pick the side is ludicrous. Go back to that time and look at the squad size, the quality available to him, the injuries / availability during a busy Xmas / new year schedule and I think you’ll see far more obvious reasons that drove selections and tactics….

Would Aldershot's wage budget be greater than ours? Is their Academy rated higher?
I wonder what he might have done for us had he ever really been given a chance to sign players.
In hindsight sacking him looks bad enough but replacing with PB? Apart from Craig Fagan and Ricky Duncan who else thought that was a good idea?
About 60-70% of the board thought it a good idea. See various polls on here where people wanted him permanently appointed despite the disgrace of the Col Ewe game.

Whether Southend have access to that kind of expertise is another matter. Having the technology is one thing, but having the expertise to interpret it accurately or usefully is another matter, but I do know they have GPS data for all players that will give physical performance from games. However I also know there was a period when their access to Hudl (a game analysis tool) was denied during a difficult financial period ?

However to simply blame results on an unfounded accusation that he used “random” stats to pick the side is ludicrous. Go back to that time and look at the squad size, the quality available to him, the injuries / availability during a busy Xmas / new year schedule and I think you’ll see far more obvious reasons that drove selections and tactics….

Utter rubbish Ollie.

A quick glance on Wiki will tell me a lot. For a real deep dive on say Kensdale, just glance at the NLS table. If Concord have conceded to many goals he is crap....Simple

If a young player on loan in the Essex senior bangs in couple on Tuesday then his loan should be cancelled and he should start for the first team on Saturday.

By the way don't ever fob us off with the really annoying "They see him every day in training" nonsense. Far to mangers watch under 23 games and make decisions on what they see. Us fans are smarter and base our opinion on what we have never seen.......So we can never be wrong.

Utter rubbish Ollie.

A quick glance on Wiki will tell me a lot. For a real deep dive on say Kensdale, just glance at the NLS table. If Concord have conceded to many goals he is crap....Simple

If a young player on loan in the Essex senior bangs in couple on Tuesday then his loan should be cancelled and he should start for the first team on Saturday.

By the way don't ever fob us off with the really annoying "They see him every day in training" nonsense. Far to mangers watch under 23 games and make decisions on what they see. Us fans are smarter and base our opinion on what we have never seen.......So we can never be wrong.
Dunno Rigsby your being harsh on them fans most play FM and have accurate facts and help them climb the leagues ?

My recollection is that MM changed systems after the defeat at Orient, primarily because both Ralph and Clifford were injured, leaving Hart the sole choice at LB, and he was out of his depth and taken apart by Conor Wilkinson. Equally, we were too thin - a bit like we are now - to carry on playing 4-4-2 at that time. Orient exposed that brilliantly.

As such, MM chose to switch to 3-5-2 so that Hart wasn't as exposed as he was as a LB, and it allowed us to bring in an extra CM to be more combative. It wasn't just a random idea. We also lost the likes of Olayinka and Taylor at crucial times, reducing our quality in possession.

While I totally agree with those who cited us as being horrible to watch in the latter part of the season, it was a stop-gap and results improved. Compare the thrashing we received on the opening game of the season against Harrogate with our win at their place. We had changed from being a lightweight team who were easy to pick off to one that could compete by being ugly. I wasn't happy to see us playing that way but neither was MM and I think he should be admired for that.

How many times have we and other teams' fans moaned about managers not having plan Bs? Here was one who was willing to sacrifice his preferred style of neat football from the back to hoofball due to the circumstances.

I personally was sorry to see MM go, even if it was understandable. Constant battles against key departures, embargoes, injuries and registration issues, similar to that being suffered by the new managerial set-up, proved too much, albeit the team still being in with a shout of escaping the drop. Unlike last season, where sadly there weren't two sides in a poorer state, it looks like there could be three this season. But hopefully it won't come to that.

By the end of the season we should be in a better position to undo the disastrous post-MM recruitment.

Do you have any inside knowledge that “random” stats from his analyst determined his tactics in January? Or is that just a theory that suits your own narrative? Even if he did use some form of match analysis or player stats (which is highly likely) it’s highly doubtful they were “random” and given Southend’s squad size and player availability it’s highly unlikely they were the driving force behind key tactical decisions like formation. It’s much more likely that was determined by availability and opposition analysis.

I’d guess that just about every club in the world who play at an equivalent level of national league or above use stats. The most successful clubs / managers use them more than most. They have a ‘live’ reading in game that helps them make decisions tactically and physically for substitutions. Denis Bergkamp was regularly substituted by Arsenal Wenger late in games as his ‘stats’ clearly demonstrated he tired considerably, made less sprints and less runs resulting in less passes or game involvements. The same is the reason why Lacazette is substituted on or around 70 mins most weeks…his physical condition deteriorates rapidly at this point.

Involvements, movements, weaknesses, strengths, speeds, distances, players loads, fatigue are all measured and used by all clubs to determine training schedules, training focus, selections, rotations, formations…etc etc etc.

You’re spot on of course.

The entire process was to blame.

Out of Brown, Bond, Campbell and Molesley the only one I have respect for is Molesley. He had the worst of it and with backing we'd have been mid-table.
Id agree with that, but i still think him leaving was the right move for all involved.

Blimey. He seems to be comfortable in his job and enjoying himself. Do polar bears feel the cold though?

This is absolutely hilarious. Sounds like a, bit of an in house joke. To be fair, the interviewer did ask him his thoughts, bit of a generic question
Some of the comments on Twitter that Molesley was being disrespectful to the interviewer :Facepalm:

Back