• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm pretty sure he'll be off at the end of his contract, by going out and getting not one but two young centre backs on loan to cover for Prosser and Thompson, Brown has clearly shown that Phillips is not really up to it.

He's been a good servant for the club and will leave with my best wishes, but I'd be happy to see him replaced with someone younger, quicker and a bit better with the ball (would love to think we could sign Egan or Sokolik but reckon they'll probably go somewhere higher)

Philips was a Sturrock type central defender. Sturrock wanted his defence to get rid of the ball ASAP. He even said something along the lines of "show me a team that plays from the back and I'll show you a team that lets in goals". PB wants us to play out of defence, and to do that you have to have defenders that are comfortable on the ball. I personally don't think Philips is that type of player.

There'll be plenty of teams that would want a player of his ability and experience, but sadly I feel is days at Southend (and under Phil Brown) are numbered.

Even if we sign Sokolik and Egan to go alongside Prosser?

I doubt we'll have Sokolik and Egan. The only chance of having them is if we go up. Even though Sokolik is out of contract with his pedigree I'd expect a Championship team to pick him up. Egan looks very capable to me and so Sunderland will want to try him at L1 level (which he was playing at before his injury).

Bottom line - if we go up, bye bye Phillips, if we don't then offer Phillips a cheap contract - he's plenty good enough for a L2 backup and he can do his coaching badges.

In a way Mark Phillips was Tilson's last signing wasn't he? As far as I recall he was already training with us when Tilson was sacked and then Sturrock came in, liked the look of him and signed him up (either that or he just needed players fast).

I would definitely offer Phillips a reduced contract for another 1 year. If i was Brown i would be going all out to get Egan and/or Kiernan in at the end of the season and Phillips' experience, on and off the pitch would be vital for youngsters like Egan, Thompson and Prosser to learn from.

In a way Mark Phillips was Tilson's last signing wasn't he? As far as I recall he was already training with us when Tilson was sacked and then Sturrock came in, liked the look of him and signed him up (either that or he just needed players fast).
Was he? I never heard that before :stunned:

I'd keep Mark Phillips just because Roots Hall smells much nicer due to his air fresheners.

I would want to keep him as back up if possible. We have been shown up as being short at CB this year, and having him as a back up would hopefully prevent that again!

Suspect he's played his last game for us, The 2 youngsters plus Prosser/Thomson to come in for this season then new blood in the summer. Age has caught up with him, same as Barker last year, legs have gone and too many injuries.
Thanks Mark but time to move on.

Been a good servant but I'm pretty sure he'll be one of the first to go in the summer. Not worth keeping on. Would be great if we could sign one of the many defenders we've had on loan this season permanently.

Keep as back up for next season. He's got one more year in him yet I feel, as long as it's not a case of Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday.

I think he will either join a Conference side or start the coaching treadmill. He has been an accomplished defender playing at a decent level and there is nothing more debilitating than reaching a stage where you keep getting injured trying to keep up with fast young forwards. I reckon he knows that his time in league football is at an end.

There is absolutely no way he will still be with us next season. It has been one year too many already. Been a good servant but all good things come to an end.

Back