• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Taunton_Shrimp

First XI
SALTER STRIKES SEE ROBINS CLOSE GAP

Former Southend United striker Mark Salter netted a quick-fire brace in the second period to hand the Robins another important three points. The result at Mill Road on Saturday was made even more significant by the fact that leaders Bideford drew 0-0 at home to Hallen. Frome are now three points adrift of the table-toppers but they have played one game more.

After a goal-less first period, Frome's game came to life when the hosts took the lead on the hour. That seemed to spark the Mendip outfit into action and they responded with two goals in five minutes from Salter. His first was a rebound after a free-kick had been saved and his second was a reaction strike in the box.

The game ended with much debate when a Barnstaple player was fouled whilst running through on goal. Most onlookers thought the incident happened inside the box but the referee, after speaking with one of his assistants, gave a free-kick.

Winning boss Andy Crabtree said: "We played well in the first half without scoring. We then conceded a scrappy goal but scored two in five minutes in reply through Mark Salter. Mark only had three chances in the game so the fact he scored two proves his worth.

"However, I thought we were lucky in the end. In the last minute one of their guys was clean through and was fouled. I thought it happened in the box but the ref gave it outside so they are bound to feel a bit aggrieved. Saying that, Dean Griffths had a 'goal' disallowed for us so it would seem these things even themselves out."

Good to see he is still scoring lots of goals shame he couldnt do it for us, but will always remember him for scoring against borient

Indeed he is banging them in. I've kept a check on how he's been doing, and if you look at his stats from their site you can see just how well he's doing:

Club Career Stats:

Season 1999/00: Starts: 38 Sub: 0 Goals: 12

Season 2000/01: Starts: 38 Sub: 4 Goals: 29

Season 2001/02: Starts: 48 Sub: 1 Goals: 38

Season 2002/03: Starts: 10 Sub: 0 Goals: 7

Season 2003/04: Starts: 27 Sub: 0 Goals: 20

Season 2004/05: Starts: 48 Sub: 4 Goals: 34

Total: Starts: 209 Sub: 9 Goals: 140

I thought he had potential myself and it's a shame he was here in the Newman/Wignall era and not the Tilson era, as he might have been given a better chance to make it.

Was never given a chance here, who knows what may have been. Thought he was as promising as Lawson.

Lawson would not have been given a chance if it was not for Tilly though, could have been what Salter needed

Back