• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Martin is costing us good players!

I think Connie was worth £1000 with a good bonus scheme, i do believe the club were at fault on this and its got to stop however its time to move on.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 27 2004,15:19)]I think Connie was worth £1000 with a good bonus scheme, i do believe the club were at fault on this and its got to stop however its time to move on.
Yes, Luke, but you're not the fcuking manager!!!

mad.gif

You might have had a valid point, but you end up making it sound so conceited it's untrue.

Who exactly are you to say:

1. a player is worth a certain amount?
2. the club is at fault?

rock.gif

Try a more measured approach - like I did on my other e-mail about this issue... i.e.

<span style='color:blu'>Presumably, the club can afford more, but obviously Tilly didn't. Not sure I understand why he didn't - after all isn't goalscoring the ultimate test of ability and utility? However, if that's what Tilly thought, then we have to back him...</span>

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 27 2004,15:32)]Presumably, the club can afford more, but obviously Tilly didn't.  
Matt,

It was Tilly?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

Well, he is the manager, isn&#39;t he? If he&#39;s not telling Ron how much he does or does not value a particular player, then what is he doing exactly...?

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 27 2004,15:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (blue sky @ May 27 2004,15:14)]Two thoughts.....
1. Why did the club wait until the end of season to offer key players (Connie, Maher etc) new contracts? Surely these negotiations could have been started months ago?
erm, because we didn&#39;t have a manager?
... and our football league status wasn&#39;t guaranteed.

Kev

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 27 2004,15:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 27 2004,15:19)]I think Connie was worth £1000 with a good bonus scheme, i do believe the club were at fault on this and its got to stop however its time to move on.
Yes, Luke, but you're not the fcuking manager!!!

mad.gif

You might have had a valid point, but you end up making it sound so conceited it's untrue.

1. a player is worth a certain amount?
2. the club is at fault?

rock.gif

Try a more measured approach - like I did on my other e-mail about this issue... i.e.

<span style='color:blu'>Presumably, the club can afford more, but obviously Tilly didn't.  Not sure I understand why he didn't - after all isn't goalscoring the ultimate test of ability and utility?  However, if that's what Tilly thought, then we have to back him...</span>

Matt
If the club were indeed offering £700 basic then they are at fault.We have watched Connie score 25 goals. 800 odd people have paid a bloody big rise in there STs to keep these people.

Now we miss out on his supposed replacement ?

Now i dont believe in offering £2000 a player but surely we can offer more than 700 quid a week for our top scorer. Please dont give me the cr*p about debt etc.We all know the position we are in however the board say they want promotion. Now i am not expecting them to pay thousands per player that is breaking the bank. But jesus that extra little bit to keep our key players is that really too much to ask.

We are losing our best players and losing out on our targets because other clubs will pay that extra little bit more.

Sorry Matt but yes i am ****ed off. We can't compete with the likes of Hull and Sheff Wed but bloody Peterborough we get better attendences than them !

So bloody depressing atm.

I know for a fact that Ron Martin is a Marxist and everybody at the club from Marky Gower down to the girls who sell the pies get paid exactly the same amount- £45 a week cash-in-hand. Roots Hall nowadays is run by the maxim 'you give what you can and take what you need'. Surprising though it may seem most players were happy with this arrangement last season, although word has it that there has recently been a split between the opposing Leninist and Stalinist camps which may explain why Constantine did the offs.

If we don't keep hold of our players or fail to attract new ones then I blame the capitalist mode of production NOT the board.

You&#39;ve made a good point FM, how can the board go on sacking managers once a season claiming we should be pushing for the play-offs, when they won&#39;t strive to keep the best players.

There is no reason to break the bank for anyone, players come and players go, the club is bigger than all of them and should not be held to ransom. However, if the club cannot compete with the likes of Northampton and Peterborough financially, should the board be sacking managers every season due to us not running away with the league? What will happen if the club finds itself propping up the league come Christmas? Tilly will be sacked.

In hindsight, it appears getting rid of Wignall was the right decision, but IMO if the board get rid of Tilson this season it will be a disgrace.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 27 2004,21:38)]We all know the position we are in however the board say they want promotion. Now i am not expecting them to pay thousands per player that is breaking the bank. But jesus that extra little bit to keep our key players is that really too much to ask.
Okay, but the club have never said &#39;promotion at any cost&#39;... which means a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Where that line must fall is something we cannot say because we do not have the necessary information at hand.

I&#39;m not saying I am 100% behind the club... and I am not accusing the club of any screw ups... because of the above reasons.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 27 2004,22:47)]Just give him the tools to do the job ..
To use your analogy... power tools may be the ideal option... however... Tilly may only be able to afford hand tools.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 28 2004,08:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 27 2004,21:38)]We all know the position we are in however the board say they want promotion. Now i am not expecting them to pay thousands per player that is breaking the bank. But jesus that extra little bit to keep our key players is that really too much to ask.
Okay, but the club have never said 'promotion at any cost'... which means a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Where that line must fall is something we cannot say because we do not have the necessary information at hand.

I'm not saying I am 100% behind the club... and I am not accusing the club of any screw ups... because of the above reasons.
Im not saying break the bank its just common sense at times. If you want to do well then you have to get your wallet out. If you want to pay peanuts you will get monkeys.

Now im not saying pay players more than £1500 so please dont misunderstand me but offering our top scorer more than 700 quid is not hard when you look at Maher etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 27 2004,21:11)]I know for a fact that Ron Martin is a Marxist and everybody at the club from Marky Gower down to the girls who sell the pies get paid exactly the same amount- £45 a week cash-in-hand. Roots Hall nowadays is run by the maxim 'you give what you can and take what you need'. Surprising though it may seem most players were happy with this arrangement last season, although word has it that there has recently been a split between the opposing Leninist and Stalinist camps which may explain why Constantine did the offs.      

If we don't keep hold of our players or fail to attract new ones then I blame the capitalist mode of production NOT the board.
I heard Connie was part of a Trotskyist faction with Cort. Rumour is that they and Maher were under pressure to leave for their unconventional beliefs.

OK, let&#39;s put it another way- Fry is the owner of Peterborough. He can do what he likes- no-one is tying his hands over deals etc.

If McGleish sees money as the prime motivator, he&#39;s not looking at the bigger picture. Therefore I&#39;m not that bothered about missing out on him.

We should have kept that Johanssen from a few years ago

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 27 2004,09:31)]I think you'll find the £700 was a basic which could have been increased significantly through a goal bonus.

That is how his pay was structured I believe this season, and presto!  25 goals.  

If Leon was that confident of his ability to score then that actually is a very good deal and puts the earnings firmly in Leons hands... the more he scores, the more he earns.  However, if he isn't that confident that he could repeat last seasons performance then he would be more comfortable with the higher basic so that he earned more money without the same level of performance.

So is he worth it then?

I think Tilly had it spot on with him to be honest.  I thank Leon for what he's done and wish him well anyway.
I think you'd actually find Leon not only had the lowest wage at the club but also the lowest goal bonus incentive too... just thought you'd like to know that!!

I think it was reported on another thread that Connys basic may have been low (for a footballer) but was on quite a reasonable Goal Bonus.

Now i like this idea, basically perform, score goals and earn a decent wage. Do sh*t and get nothing. Just like the real world and not the Alice in Wonderland world that Footballers live in.

Now maybe Conny doesnt have the confidence in his abilty to think he would have another 25 goal season in which case, maybe we are better without him?
rock.gif

Back