• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Spot on.

Football is meant to be enjoyable. A distraction from the pressures of day to day life in general.

But for quite a few now, it is just an extension of that. If you are not enjoying it anymore and find yourself angered by the way things are going, on or off the pitch. Then why would you continue to go?!

That does not mean you are any less of a "fan" than those that continue to attend. It means you have made a personal decision and no doubt a bloody tough one at that. Which means you can perhaps concentrate on other activities that give you that enjoyment and distraction from the norm, that everyone needs.

In an ideal world yes football should be enjoyable - however with sky money and bosman and Johnny Foreigner and the every day financial world we live in, football, especially lower leagues, are an ongoing business concern, with not enough money to feed the required mouths !

Spot on.

Football is meant to be enjoyable. A distraction from the pressures of day to day life in general.

But for quite a few now, it is just an extension of that. If you are not enjoying it anymore and find yourself angered by the way things are going, on or off the pitch. Then why would you continue to go?!

That does not mean you are any less of a "fan" than those that continue to attend. It means you have made a personal decision and no doubt a bloody tough one at that. Which means you can perhaps concentrate on other activities that give you that enjoyment and distraction from the norm, that everyone needs.

I put the politics of the current situation behind me when I walk in the stadium.

The football for me at the moment is completely separate and I enjoy it, even enjoyed the Barnet game despite the frustrations of the performance.

When it gets so team morale is destroyed by off field activities then its different but at the moment it actually doesnt cross my mind when Im there.

I put the politics of the current situation behind me when I walk in the stadium.

The football for me at the moment is completely separate and I enjoy it, even enjoyed the Barnet game despite the frustrations of the performance.

When it gets so team morale is destroyed by off field activities then its different but at the moment it actually doesnt cross my mind when Im there.

Do you think then that Rons antics have no effect on morale?

I understand that while we fans are in the ground, supporting the team and focusing on the game should be the only things on our minds, and put the politics on the "back burner". But alas I struggle to do this when I see lack lustre performances, I think back to a conversation I had with a recent ex player of ours who told me it was impossible to play to their full capability knowing what was going on behind the scenes. He also said that the players picked up on the fans frustrations, but not being able to support their families concerned them much more.

In his meeting with SZ and the trust the other day Ron said he had pumped £200 000 into the club to pay for vital expenses that had to be paid.
Thank you Ron. Unlike some of the brain dead Neanderthals and their 12 year old sycophants who inhabit the North bank I appreciate you are doing your very best for Southend United under extremley difficult trading conditions.

Hard for me to judge Ron Martin as i am exiled in Melbourne,but i do know that staying away because of him is not the right thing to do, go along support the manager and the team ,Southend need as many supporters as possible, its apparently the only way they can get out of their predicament as the present,surely after the match ,after you have cheered the players off the field for their efforts, then surely you can show your dissatisfaction toward Mr Ron Martin. But in the meantime go and support the team you say you love, i would if i was there.No matter my feelings toward certain personel;

In his meeting with SZ and the trust the other day Ron said he had pumped £200 000 into the club to pay for vital expenses that had to be paid.
Thank you Ron. Unlike some of the brain dead Neanderthals and their 12 year old sycophants who inhabit the North bank I appreciate you are doing your very best for Southend United under extremley difficult trading conditions.

Thus far '''Rons best''' has been woefully inadequate...are you really of the opinon that he is doing a good job?

He didnt say Ron was doing a good job ,Southchurch said Ron was doing his best, thats all you can ask of any man, whether or not his best is good enough i dont know, if its not then Mr Martin should seek help to save the club he says he loves and i know all who write here love.

He didnt say Ron was doing a good job ,Southchurch said Ron was doing his best, thats all you can ask of any man, whether or not his best is good enough i dont know, if its not then Mr Martin should seek help to save the club he says he loves and i know all who write here love.

What I wanted to know is does he think Ron is doing a good job?....never accused him of saying it.
I do agree with your comment regarding Ron seeking outside help.

Lets look at the names of some clubs that have gone into administration in the past

Tranmere
Walsall
Northhampton
Aldershot
Barnet
Exeter
Gillingham
Doncaster
Millwall
Bournmouth
Darlington
Crystal Palace
Chester
Hull
QPR
Halifax
Bradford
Notts County
Barnsley
Leicester
Port Vale
York
Derby
Ipswich
Wimbledon
Darlington
Bradford
Wrexham
Cambridge
Rotherham
Crawley
Leeds
Luton
Southampton
Stockport
Chester
Plymouth
Rushden and diamonds

One thing they all had in common. Ron Martin was not in charge of any of them.

Running a football club and maintaining the hopes and aspirations of it's supporters while at the same time keeping a tight reign on the purse strings is a tuff job. Many more clubs will be added to this list over the coming years and yes we could be one of them. Ron some times is unable to pay wages and has to lay some staff off. Does he do it out of spite or does it break his heart to have to let his employees down. So while he struggles and robs Peter to pay Paul and some how keeps us going. Some Cretin turns up for one match and chants Martin out!! Well done that man, glad to have you as a loyal fan.

Lets look at the names of some clubs that have gone into administration in the past

Tranmere
Walsall
Northhampton
Aldershot
Barnet
Exeter
Gillingham
Doncaster
Millwall
Bournmouth
Darlington
Crystal Palace
Chester
Hull
QPR
Halifax
Bradford
Notts County
Barnsley
Leicester
Port Vale
York
Derby
Ipswich
Wimbledon
Darlington
Bradford
Wrexham
Cambridge
Rotherham
Crawley
Leeds
Luton
Southampton
Stockport
Chester
Plymouth
Rushden and diamonds

One thing they all had in common. Ron Martin was not in charge of any of them.

Running a football club and maintaining the hopes and aspirations of it's supporters while at the same time keeping a tight reign on the purse strings is a tuff job. Many more clubs will be added to this list over the coming years and yes we could be one of them. Ron some times is unable to pay wages and has to lay some staff off. Does he do it out of spite or does it break his heart to have to let his employees down. So while he struggles and robs Peter to pay Paul and some how keeps us going. Some Cretin turns up for one match and chants Martin out!! Well done that man, glad to have you as a loyal fan.

This is what gets me, in your high and mighty, egotistical, witty response, you've spoke about/to someone as if they're a piece of ****, simply because they don't share your opinion. Out of curiosity would you do the same if you came face to face with the man you're referring to?

This is what gets me, in your high and mighty, egotistical, witty response, you've spoke about/to someone as if they're a piece of ****, simply because they don't share your opinion. Out of curiosity would you do the same if you came face to face with the man you're referring to?

There are plenty on here that do that GBJ!

There are plenty on here that do that GBJ!

Would you say that to my face? ;)

Totally agree though Kay, theres plenty with a "I'm better than you, so I'll say what I like to you", attitude, but wouldn't have the stones to replicate that in person :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity would you do the same if you came face to face with the man you're referring to?

As a general point ,and not referring to the exact example you have given, I personally do not see the issue with 'keyboard warriors' or whatever you want to call them . Some people are timid, some people do not like to argue, some people are scared of conflict. The internet gives them a voice. If they are stating what they really truely believe then good for them . If you think about it logically. without this the lounder, more confident , and dare I say more agressive people get a louder voice simply becasue they are that type of person. It doesn't make their view any more/less valid that the timid guy who is scared to speak up

just my 2p worth.

Also the internet allows you to take time and debate slowly, rather than just discussing issues 'face to face'. That's not a lack of stones, it's just the internet... and it's serious business.

Spoiler:  
While+on+Reddit.+Stuck+on+Reddit+because+someone+is+wrong_7db740_3459448.jpg

Ron Martin has not sold out because (a) he truly believes that he will eventually reach his 'pot of gold' or (b) he is too far 'in' to do anything other than see it through until all the cards fall.
I have no idea which of the above is correct , or indeed if there are reasons (c) , (d) , (e) and beyond.
What I am sure about though is based on options (a) and (b) he will not walk away because a few people tell him to.
I understand peoples frustrations , but IMO , once inside the ground , we should ALL get behind Sturrock and the team and do our best to support them.
Whatever our future , it will be brighter if we got promoted and despite our chronic lack of bodies , I seriously believe that the division is not that strong this year ( certainly compared to last ) and we therefore have a chance ( slim maybe ) of achieving that goal.

Back