• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Celtic want Swans boss Martinez

Swans boss Roberto Martinez has been linked with several managerial jobs
Celtic have made an official approach for Swansea City boss Roberto Martinez.

Swansea confirmed to BBC Sport Wales that the Scottish giants have asked to speak to Martinez about becoming Gordon Strachan's successor at Celtic Park.

"I had a call off their chief executive [Peter Lawwell] making me aware that they'd like to talk to Roberto," said Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins.

"Like I've always done I refused that until I've spoken to Roberto myself and talked things through."

Martinez, one of British football's youngest managers at 35, has earned rave reviews for his handling of Swansea.

Promotion from League One was followed last season by a highly creditable eighth-place finish in their first year back at Championship level.

That success has been achieved through an exciting brand of attacking, skilful football that has seen the Spaniard linked with managerial jobs at the likes of Wigan and Real Sociedad, while Reading are also thought to be admirers.

Martinez is on holiday in Ibiza at the moment but Jenkins expects his prize asset to be back at the Liberty Stadium later this week.

"I'll probably speak to him [Martinez] between now and Wednesday but later on in the week he'll be back home to run through his thoughts with me," Jenkins added.

"First and foremost it's about his position here and how we see that, and we'll consider all that first before any sort of what else he may do.

"I think you've got to respect... what type of club Celtic are and what opportunities exist - perhaps not in the [Scottish Premier] League but certainly in the Champions League - and the size of the club.

"Naturally I suppose that interest would require anybody to sit and consider their position.

"It's basically up to him how he sees it, I think there's certainly no possibility in us forcing any issue.

606: DEBATE
His girlfriend is Scottish... he's getting married in the summer. Very worrying indeed

CarmarthenJack22
"Roberto has got to consider his future and where his commitment lies."

Martinez is no stranger to football north of the border, having played for Motherwell in the 2001/2 season, while his long-term girlfriend is Scottish.

Strachan, who left Celtic Park last week after four years at the helm, is believed to have recommended Motherwell's Mark McGhee as his successor.

Everton manager David Moyes has ruled out any return to Scotland at the moment.

But Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has expressed his interest in the vacancy, while West Brom's Tony Mowbray and Burnley's Owen Coyle are also thought to be candidates.

Excellent manager... Would be a devastating blow for Swansea should he leave.

Whoever the new Celtic manager is their first game in charge will be here in Brisbane, against the Roar in July. Apparently they will be bringing a full strength squad so should be an interesting match. Just got my ticket today.

Most managers would rather be in the Championship with a promotion chasing team rather than the SPL! The league is crap, the football is crap, and the support is crap (except old firm fans).
Martinez will leave to manage a premiership team, its a shame for Swansea.
They can take Bryan Gunn if they want him!!

Back