• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC_Al

Metal Monday Dude
While watching the Man U/W Ham and Sheff U/Wigan games, I was really annoyed at how many times the commentators used the phrase "that goal could be worth £60million" or that save "is worth £60million". It really brought home to me how shallow and messed up top flight football in this country, money-obsessed ****ers.

The feat of staying in the league seemed to be secondary to the amount of numbers showing in their bank accounts.

A shame, a real bloody shame.

While watching the Man U/W Ham and Sheff U/Wigan games, I was really annoyed at how many times the commentators used the phrase "that goal could be worth £60million" or that save "is worth £60million". It really brought home to me how shallow and messed up top flight football in this country, money-obsessed ****ers.

The feat of staying in the league seemed to be secondary to the amount of numbers showing in their bank accounts.

A shame, a real bloody shame.

I know, I think everyday that I opened the paper (albeit the sun) in the last few weeks, there was always reference to the £60m save and shot and tackle! It was ridiculous. At the end of the day though, sadly enough, football is ruled by money. All these club takeovers mean that soon enough the ones that are taken over will be untouchable... it is ruining the game!

well Watford will get £30million for finshing bottom, West Ham finishing 15th will probbaly get £40million odd 'prize money' and then next seasons TV money is monstrous.

I just can't relate to that at all.

well Watford will get £30million for finshing bottom, West Ham finishing 15th will probbaly get £40million odd 'prize money' and then next seasons TV money is monstrous.

I just can't relate to that at all.

This season Watford made about £18m inc. prize money and TV revenue; West Ham United received almost £21m. Together with a parachute payment of £10m (which increases to almost £30m next season), Watford return to the Championship with almost £30m in their pocket, a neat little fighting fund to mount a serious challenge to regain their Premiership status at the first attempt. I can't imagine Scunthorpe United having anywhere near the same resources to mount a very successful campaign but Colchester United have proved that you can get reasonably close. Nevertheless the huge amounts of cash generated by a single season in the Premiership means that the concept of the "yo-yo" system is going to be more applicable as fallen clubs are handed the necessary funds with a cheery "thanks, see you again very soon" from the FA.

Interestingly, at the other end of the scale, champions Manchester United have made almost £63m this season (and that doesn't include prize money from the FA Cup, gate receipts, merchandise sales or income from club sponsorship deals - one could almost double the income). In fact, the top four sides in the Premiership made over £220m in prize money and TV revenue this season, only £130m less than ALL the remaining clubs made BETWEEN THEM! No wonder the Premiership has become dull and boring; there simply isn't a level playing field anymore. The 'Big Four' will continue to rake in huge amounts of money from consistent qualification for the lucrative Champions League; and next season the champions of the domestic league will stand to make over £50m in prize money alone! How can Sunderland even begin to think about competing?

This season Watford made about £18m inc. prize money and TV revenue; West Ham United received almost £21m. Together with a parachute payment of £10m (which increases to almost £30m next season), Watford return to the Championship with almost £30m in their pocket, a neat little fighting fund to mount a serious challenge to regain their Premiership status at the first attempt. I can't imagine Scunthorpe United having anywhere near the same resources to mount a very successful campaign but Colchester United have proved that you can get reasonably close. Nevertheless the huge amounts of cash generated by a single season in the Premiership means that the concept of the "yo-yo" system is going to be more applicable as fallen clubs are handed the necessary funds with a cheery "thanks, see you again very soon" from the FA.

Interestingly, at the other end of the scale, champions Manchester United have made almost £63m this season (and that doesn't include prize money from the FA Cup, gate receipts, merchandise sales or income from club sponsorship deals - one could almost double the income). In fact, the top four sides in the Premiership made over £220m in prize money and TV revenue this season, only £130m less than ALL the remaining clubs made BETWEEN THEM! No wonder the Premiership has become dull and boring; there simply isn't a level playing field anymore. The 'Big Four' will continue to rake in huge amounts of money from consistent qualification for the lucrative Champions League; and next season the champions of the domestic league will stand to make over £50m in prize money alone! How can Sunderland even begin to think about competing?

Spot on Post Mike..I just don't understand about these Parachute payments, surely all clubs should get something if they drop a league ...Or none at all. If you spend to much and fail it is your own fault.

Back