• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Match postponement hard luck tales

CyrilSneer

Winger
After todays game being postponed(mainly with the Crewe fans in mind), it reminded me of a few times, where Ive actually got to the ground, and then found out the games been called off, after several hundred miles of travelling. Notts County in the anglo-italian sprang to mind, which was amazingly rescheduled for the next day. Leicester was another I think. Any other wasted journeys anyone can recall?

Hull at home eight years ago.

It had barely rained at all in West London so I had no notion that the game was even remotely in danger. I was a bit surprised upon arriving in Southend about 7pm that night to find the Roots Hall area a bit quiet and that the game had been postponed due to the weather. Bugger.

I think I would punch someone if I travelled the whole way over, to find out a match had been called off.

Good job I chose Chelsea away rather than Crewe at home this week then :D

Grimsby away, late 80s or early 90s. Ended up in some Lincolnshire village pub so not all bad.

I recall a Port Vale game several years ago, which was called off when I was already in the ground.

also the Liverpool Replay, took the day off work (using the last of my Holiday entitlement) and my Brother rang from the office to say the game was off, My Mum had to wake me up and I had to ring work and negotiate going in for the rest of the day so I could have the day after next off

Just remembered Cheltenham away about seven years ago. Took a half day off work, got a train to Reading and then a lift from there to Cheltenham. Thought it was a bit gusty.

After a couple of pints we made our way to the ground - probably about 7:20. An awful lot of people in red and white scarves heading in the opposite direction - how odd. Turned out the game had been called off about 30 minutes before kick off due to high winds.

Got to Cheltenham before the call-off and half-way to Plymouth in 2001.

We don't get many postponements at Roots Hall. In the last 10 years just Torquay in 2000 after a monsoon, Tranmere in the FA Cup in January 2002 due to a frozen pitch and Oxford on new years day 2003 due to a waterlogged pitch.

Previous to that was a game against Norwich in January 1997 which the Club made no attempt to play and the really late postponement against Port Vale in 1995.

How about games that SHOULD have been called off!?

I remember a midweek game v Sunderland at home which ended up being played in the most stupid amount of fog.

I was a seaso in the west at the time and you couldn't see any other stand. I remember Sunderland scored and their fans didnt cheer till about 3 minutes later as they didnt know.

Stupidly allowed to be played to the finish...

We don't get many postponements at Roots Hall. In the last 10 years just Torquay in 2000 after a monsoon, Tranmere in the FA Cup in January 2002 due to a frozen pitch and Oxford on new years day 2003 due to a waterlogged pitch.

Previous to that was a game against Norwich in January 1997 which the Club made no attempt to play and the really late postponement against Port Vale in 1995.

I was near Tiverton (IIRC) en route to that Plymouth game. So instead we got out at Exeter to watch Exeter vs Macclesfield. One of the worst games I have ever seen and there were probably more Southend fans in the away end than Macclesfield ones!

In terms of postponed games, I think you missed the Hull game I alluded to earlier in this post. Just checked and we had no game the weekend of March 24th in 2001 and I am almost certain that was due to a game being called on the Friday night. England played Finland in a WCQ on the Saturday, hence why it had been moved in the first place.

I was near Tiverton (IIRC) en route to that Plymouth game. So instead we got out at Exeter to watch Exeter vs Macclesfield. One of the worst games I have ever seen and there were probably more Southend fans in the away end than Macclesfield ones!

In terms of postponed games, I think you missed the Hull game I alluded to earlier in this post. Just checked and we had no game the weekend of March 24th in 2001 and I am almost certain that was due to a game being called on the Friday night. England played Finland in a WCQ on the Saturday, hence why it had been moved in the first place.

Ah, yes. Had forgotten about that one!

I was on the coach for the Plymouth game and we all went to Oxford vs Wycombe!

I remember a midweek game v Sunderland at home which ended up being played in the most stupid amount of fog.

I was a seaso in the west at the time and you couldn't see any other stand. I remember Sunderland scored and their fans didnt cheer till about 3 minutes later as they didnt know.

I remember that one mate, was in the south lower. Bridges scored for Sunderland, and it was one of their defenders who told the crowd

Cheltenham wasn't so bad, I was utterly wasted before the scheduled kick off and ended up getting my end away with a home fan. I don't mind those postponements....

Spot on I remember the match - your not exagerating when you say it was 3 mins before the Sunderland fans found out they had scored. You couldnt see a thing and I remember saying to my Dad at the time that it should be abandoned.

Hull at home eight years ago.

It had barely rained at all in West London so I had no notion that the game was even remotely in danger. I was a bit surprised upon arriving in Southend about 7pm that night to find the Roots Hall area a bit quiet and that the game had been postponed due to the weather. Bugger.

I went to Hull at home 10 years ago.

It wasn't postponed.

Bugger.

I think I would punch someone if I travelled the whole way over, to find out a match had been called off.

Good job I chose Chelsea away rather than Crewe at home this week then :D

Don't laugh yet! if the temperature doesn't go up during the day I'd put money on the Wednesday night game being called of too.
But if that happens Maca should be able to play in the rearranged fixture.

Don't laugh yet! if the temperature doesn't go up during the day I'd put money on the Wednesday night game being called of too.
But if that happens Maca should be able to play in the rearranged fixture.

And Drogba, Cole, Lampard, Terry and Carvalho will pick up bans and be suspended

I seem to remember a midweek game against Millwall being called off due to a waterlogged pitch, was that really more than 13 years ago?

I can still picture the signs they put up at the train station announcing the abandonment?

Back