• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

GillsConnect resident scribe GordonRoadBlue has penned another indepth look for the New Years Day League Two promotion clash

http://tinyurl.com/b4jtvw5

Thats not Tomlin in the player to watch pic.

The Tomlin here is the same Tomlin that played for Gills last season, surely they have a pic or 2 lying around..:thumbsup:

And I seriously doubt Mohsni will be on the bench either..:nope:

The Tomlin here is the same Tomlin that played for Gills last season, surely they have a pic or 2 lying around..:thumbsup:

It's the cropped pic of the larger pic of Britt!

Reading the "Head to Head" bit, how good would that be? Play Gillingham twice over the Easter weekend, once on the Friday and once on the Monday!

It's the cropped pic of the larger pic of Britt!

Reading the "Head to Head" bit, how good would that be? Play Gillingham twice over the Easter weekend, once on the Friday and once on the Monday!

In days of yore, teams would play on Christmas Day with the return fixture on Boxing Day.

We last did that with Millwall in 1957.

In 1955 we played Colchester on 24th December and then Gillingham on the 26th Dec and Gillingham again on the 27th (no Sunday games allowed in those days!). Today's footballers are certainly a pampered breed in comparison.

Well spotted PitseaBlue and will get the pic changed

BTW myself and the family have booked the hospitality package on New Years Day and looking forward to meeting up with my good mate and former Gills player David Crown. Is another of our former players Paul Clark still involved with the media on matchdays as hoping to meet up with him as well

All the Best to the Shrimpers in 2013

Well spotted PitseaBlue and will get the pic changed

BTW myself and the family have booked the hospitality package on New Years Day and looking forward to meeting up with my good mate and former Gills player David Crown. Is another of our former players Paul Clark still involved with the media on matchdays as hoping to meet up with him as well

All the Best to the Shrimpers in 2013
Clarky's often in the commentary box - enjoy the hospitality, the food's pretty good!

"Bilel Mohsni has returned to Roots Hall from a loan spell with Ipswich Town and could figure on the bench."
:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

"Bilel Mohsni has returned to Roots Hall from a loan spell with Ipswich Town and could figure on the bench."
:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:
Missed that bit! Are we celebrating the wrong date here and it is actually 1st April not 1st January imminently?!

The following is quick preview from an article in tomorrows programme which shows what a great club we always have been:

25th March 1921
GILLINGHAM 1-1 SOUTHEND UNITED

The men of Essex invaded Kent on Good Friday, it was some invasion too, Gillingham being the venue of the attack. The only means of travel not brought in operation was the Aeroplane. Invasion parties started off as early as eight o’clock by train and thence onwards they continued in steady stream until the luncheon hour by boat, taxi, motors, charabancs and trains. A flotilla of seven motor boats left the Southend shore for Chatham between 10.30 and 11.15 headed by the largest and most comfortable the “Julia Freak”. These boats alone must have convoyed at least 600 people to Kent and if one could had selected a day for a water trip in the treacherous tides of March one could not have picked a more charming one. The weather was as warm the sea as calm as a mill pond while the return journey in the all the more pleasing by the moonlight night. Chatham was reached about 1 o’clock and on arrival there one could almost imagine you was in Southend High Street, for nearly every person you met was a Southender. Many of the Chatham Hotels were eaten out of house and home. On the Gillingham ground the scene was even more striking. Out of the first 4,000 on the ground the majority seemed to be Southend supporters, while there were countless Essex motors, taxis and charabancs. Wearers of the Blue rosette seemed to monopolise quite half the grandstand and more than a moiety of the reserved enclosures and there were the usual horns, bells, rattles and other instruments of torture. Many - a little previous – beguiled the waiting moments by singing the ode of **** Robin as applied to Gillingham. It is difficult to estimate the strength of the Southend invading force from all sources but I would be very surprised if it were under 2,000. In all my experience with the Southend club I never remember an occasion when anything like the number of local people attending an away game.
(Southend Standard 31st March 1921)

The following is quick preview from an article in tomorrows programme which shows what a great club we always have been:

25th March 1921
GILLINGHAM 1-1 SOUTHEND UNITED

The men of Essex invaded Kent it was some invasion too, Gillingham being the venue of the attack. It is difficult to estimate the strength of the Southend invading force from all sources but I would be very surprised if it were under 2,000. In all my experience with the Southend club I never remember an occasion when anything like the number of local people attending an away game.
(Southend Standard 31st March 1921)

This reminds me of our 1972 visit!.

In 1955 we played Colchester on 24th December and then Gillingham on the 26th Dec and Gillingham again on the 27th (no Sunday games allowed in those days!). Today's footballers are certainly a pampered breed in comparison.

Same as Easter until the 80's. I recall we used to play Good Friday, on the saturday, and the Bank Holiday Monday. In 1974 we were at home to Brighton on the friday, away to walsall the next day (?), and then played the return against Brighton on the Monday. (What a day that was!).

Same as Easter until the 80's. I recall we used to play Good Friday, on the saturday, and the Bank Holiday Monday. In 1974 we were at home to Brighton on the friday, away to walsall the next day (?), and then played the return against Brighton on the Monday. (What a day that was!).

IIRC wasn't that the day it all kicked off at the junction of Fairfax and Shakespeare? Remember facing a few down with my future FiL while getting some young kids out of the way, FiL was ex-Merchant Navy, very handy chap to have alongside, he learnt a lot in some dubious foreign docks.:winking:

IIRC wasn't that the day it all kicked off at the junction of Fairfax and Shakespeare? Remember facing a few down with my future FiL while getting some young kids out of the way, FiL was ex-Merchant Navy, very handy chap to have alongside, he learnt a lot in some dubious foreign docks.:winking:

At the West Street/ Vic Avenue junction before the game, in the car park afterwards.

Back