• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hmmm, first reserves experience in 35 years of Shrimper watching. Enjoyable in an odd sort of way. The day went something like this:

06:15: alarm goes off. Bllcks it's Monday.
06:22: alarm goes off again
06:22: to 16:00: hard day at work, big important meeting stuff up in London, meeting showing little sign of ending. Worried.
16:01: I had asked for it to end at 16:00, they are still talking, its not fair, its my meeting (well, sought of, I organised and was chairing it). Make some moves to hype up the urgency, others recognise its been going on long enough, and we make a few decisions.
16:25: meeting ends, I make my excuses, and leg it to the taxi rank outside Blackfriars. Cabbie on the way sees a sign which says 'George' and starts to tell me for some reason why he used to fancy Boy George. Worried again. Thankfully Liverpool Street is only a short journey.
16:35: arrive at Liverpool Street, leave the cabbie to his fantasies and find out that my train has been cancelled, some nutter has crashed into a bridge up the line. Worried again.
17:02: catch this one, no probs now.
18:00: get to Col******r, jump in the car, and sit in traffic stacked up by folk trying to get out of this hole.
18:35: arrive home, wave to wife, change, borrow a tenner from wife, pick up son No.1, get back in car.
18:40: hammer it to Ipswich.
18:59 and 50 seconds: get  to seat, game kicks off.

So, to the match (at last):

Some observations re how we played -

- overall, not bad. Prob about 50/50 in terms of possession, chances, etc, its just that their defence was better and they took their chances whereas we did not.
- having said the above re the defence, Sodje was brilliant, doing the job of 4. Quick, decisive, he was a class above and when he came off after 89 mins everyone applauded which is pretty rare and he got a better reaction than any of the Ipswich subs from the home fans. He walked to the tunnel early and reacted with a thumbs up for my shout to him that he must start on Friday (Suffolk Shrimper exclusive).
- the rest of the defence though was poor and showed its inexperience, and was basically the reason we lost though Ipswich after beating our defenders with ease (when Sodje was not in a position to help) took their chances well and Collis could not be faulted for the goals (and he waved at us at half time so he's ok)
- Hooper was ok, put in the effort, showed some skill, took his goal well. Should at least be on the bench for Friday.
- As for Smith, thought he was poor. He drifted in and out of the game, and passes went astray. A long way off a first team recall.
- Mr Ricketts. Hmmm, not sure. Strong but lumbering, one or two patches of effort but mostly did bog all. I'm not sure its fitness, I am getting worried that he is just not up to it anymore.
- Billy. Oh, Billy. He tries hard, and gets no where. A performance just like any other this season. Showed some frustration by taking a lump out of their left back and deservedly got booked (as did Smith), and had an embarrassing air shot/mis-cue in the second half. I hate to say it, but I think we've been sold a pup here. Would love to be proved wrong though as I do like players that try and he does. But I would try if I pulled on the shirt and I know I would be crap.
- as for the rest, all second string/youth (no Cheese - where is he?), but with one shining light - Dave Cowley. A young small winger, he showed pace and skill, a willingness to take on the full backs, 100% effort the whole game, and a great cross for Hoopers goal. One to watch out for.

Some match stat stuff:

- attendance 168
- I reckon about 7 Blues fans judging from the cheers when we scored.
- so we out-numbered (and out-shouted) the St Johns Ambulance who could only muster 4, and the 2 photographers, but were easily out-numbered by an impressive approx 20 strong showing of stewards.
- expensive burgers which tasted sh!te, suggest you avoid on 10 March at all costs.

So, another adventure over. Roll on Friday.

Back