• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

For a newly built team, most Blue fans were hoping for a 1-0 or 2-0 win. However, they were pleasantly surprised.

Thurrock started the game well, pressing onto Southend's back line, with Bart G.  full of confidence as Southend's new keeper. he made excellent catches, which made Blues fans feel a lot better than they did, when they first saw Carl Embersson in goal. Southend's centre two looked equally strong, keeping away any possible threats from the home side.

However, thurrock were always second best, with Mark Gower scoring to put Southend in front after about 25 minutes.

After the opener, it was always going to be Southend's game, with Jim Corbett putting in Southend's second just before half time. Southend went in at halftime looking and performing the best. Their midfield were on a high with the the geezer with a monkey on his head performing to his best and the defence didn't look like they were going to let anything in. The strike force had done their job and Big Drewe had only used his elbows once.

Thanks to the FA, Southend were allowed to field a different side in the second half, which is exactly what they done. Gray and Bramble took up the forward roles, with Flahaven coming on for Bart, prior taking his place with Jupp and Nicolau, trainies also took their place along with husbands and Kightly.

Bramble slotted home a cracking goal to the bottom left of Thurrock's goal to put the Blues 3-0 up. Not long after, Gray helped himself to his first Southend goal after a superb header found the back of the net.

Flahaven had an easy half, with hardly anything bothering him. As such the Southend's back four had hardly anything to deal with, but were there when needed.

Husbands scored to his ultimate delight, with about half of the second half to go. Gray grabbed his second and showed the away fans that they didn't need Leon Constantine anymore.

Kightly hit the post with a thrilling freekick, which rebounded back out to Thurrock's delight. Tes also hit a freekick, which would have been perfect... if only he had remebered to curl it instead of blasting it high and wide.

With about 5 minutes left of the game, Nicolau put a harmless cross in, which saw a Thurrock defender put it in his own net, to Southend's appreciation and thurrocks embarrasement.

The game ended with The new look Blue side triumphing 7-0 over East Thurrock side, who deserve credit for sticking at it, even when they were out of their depth.

Gray proved he can deliver the goods, with Husbands and Bramble both showing they know where the back of the net is. Bart looked watertight in goal and showed Darryl would have work to get a glimpse of a first team spot. Both Edwards and Barret looked solid in defence, with Kightly and Gower putting on brilliant performances.

Southend fans left the ground, knowing that Thurrock were a lower league side, but still knew that if The Blues could perform like this in the League, then promotion wouldn't be that far off.

Quite a few errors there mate. The OG was scored from Ben Surrey's cross, not Nicolau's as you stated and Gray's first goal wasn't his header but his finish from a defensive mix up.

"Quite a few"... and you mention two.

I'm surprised he bothered if that's all he gets for his time.
Good report Dark Deshrimper.

Good report on the match,the two errors was because he reads the Sun to much.
One ommission was the four or five morons who kept running on the pitch during the game,half time and at full time trying to break the cross bar by swinging on it.
If you 15 year old cann't take the half pint of shandy then go away and follow another club,you are complete morons who at a real pain in the arse to supporters.
Im all for jovial antics,laughter and cheering,but lads you are complete prats no other word for you
Grow up or get a life
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bigdel @ July 17 2004,19:30)]Good report on the match,the two errors was because he reads the Sun to much.
One ommission was the four or five morons who kept running on the pitch during the game,half time and at full time trying to break the cross bar by swinging on it.
If you 15 year old cann't take the half pint of shandy then go away and follow another club,you are complete morons who at a real pain in the arse to supporters.
Im all for jovial antics,laughter and cheering,but lads you are complete prats no other word for you
Grow up or get a life
mad.gif
You tell 'em, Bigdel! Now I know the season is really upon us!

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

I didn't see the crossbar bit but I have to say the little waltz they did after the 5th or 6th goal made me titter.  I was about 100 yards away though.

SBH I had the mis fortune to be standing behind the goal with them a couple of yards to my left,then move to the side line,only for them to follow like sheep,taunting the few East Thurrock fans,before relising that no one was interested in their nursery school antics.

Perhaps knocking on in my 40's has made me a modern day Vicor Meldrew

" I don't believe it "

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the dark deshrimper @ July 17 2004,20:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bigdel @ July 17 2004,19:40)]Perhaps knocking on in my 40's has made me a modern day Vicor Meldrew

" I don't believe it "
More like an Alf Garnet
biggrin.gif
WOT? BigDel is a Wet Spam fan? Tell us the truth, BigDel!

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Good report on the game. It was so hard for us on here, not knowing what was going on, and you've summed it up perfectly.
cool.gif

Yep... great report there!

Only wish I was at the game, as it would have been nice to run the rule over our new look squad... how many of OURS turned up [or total att. will do!].

Looking forward to Monday.
wink.gif

In reply to Shrimpboys questions about Williams and Bryan.

Williams - I thought was fairly good. Style of play was a bit McSweeney-esq in so much as he looks fairly nervous on the ball when faced with an opponent and looked to get rid of the ball as soon as possible. However his tackling was superb and he really flung himself in there when it counted. He also had a really good cross come shot towards the end of the first half. Dont think he will have Juppy to worried but should be pleased of his performance.

Bryan - He is only fairly small but I thought he was superb. He did play in the better half so that may have influenced my opinion a bit but he got stuck in when needed, always looked for feet and turned well. My only critism was that he scuffed the ball a few times but again well worth another go.

Hope this helps - Oh and Attendance at a wild guess was a couple of hundred.

DtS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ July 17 2004,21:45)]It was so hard for us on here, not knowing what was going on, and you've summed it up perfectly.
cool.gif
Well, I did text one of the moderators hoping he'd keep everyone updated. No chance. Probably sunning himself on the Arenol.

cool.gif

Back