• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barmy Army

Director
Well I arrived at the Hall for my 1st home game of the season due to being on holiday for the other ones. Sat in Row P of the East Greens for the first time, and my praise goes to everyone who sits on those wooden seats normally. No leg room, and very stiff backs!

Anyway on with the report. I missed the announcements by Geoff (Jeff) so had to look for the changes in the lineup. Che in for Nicky, Barrett remaining at CB, Tes replacing Drewe upfront. There was something in the atmosphere within the ground and I think many of us had good feelings about the game.

These good feelings continued with the Blues dominating the early stages of the game, until about 15minutes in when the Silkmen went on a counter attack and Jon Parkin found the ball at his feet. A little jinx past the defender and an 18-yard left-footed curling shot was unleashed. Luckily it hit the crossbar.

Macclesfield were without many other clear scoring oppurtunites in the first half, whereas the Blues had many. Bramble looked on fine form, good control, smart passes, high work effort earned him applause from the crowd. A couple of nice link-ups on either wing led to decent crosses into the box, and Lawrie Dudfield had the best chance but his header was saved at the near post by Fettis.

The half continued and many thought that we would have another game with many chances but no goals. Alas! Hero Adam Barrett rose like a salmon at a corner kick to head in our first goal at the Hall this season. The half ended on a high for the team and the supporters.

The second half started much like the first had ended. Southend continued to dominate but couldn't quite put a finishing touch on the ball that would lead to a comfortable 2-0 lead. This mood changed when a backpass to Bart was met with a scuffed clearance that fell to the feet of Danny Whitaker who hit a sweet shot into the bottom corner of the Southend net, with Griemink becoming merely a spectator as the ball trickled past him. I for one thought he could have done more.

Same old Southend I thought, dominate possession and yet throw away an easy goal. Alas! Hero Adam Barrett lept again at from a corner to nod in his 3rd goal of the season, and 2nd of the day. There were a few other oppurtunities for Southend to further extend their lead, but many of us were more interested in keeping the ball away from our goal. A couple of anxious moments were experienced from Macclesfield attacks, and a few near-jubilant moments were experienced from our own attacks.

Apart from a blatant picked-up back-pass being ignored by the poor referee and Dudfield forcing Fettis to leave the pitch on a stretcher, no real drama unfolded in the last half hour. Hunt came on for Gower who looked troubled at half-time, and Drewe replaced Bramble. A good win for Southend as we begin our ascent up the table.

Match Ratings:

Bart - 6 - Looked comfortable throughout but I can't forgive him for the mess he caused with his kicking that gifted Macclesfield a goal.

Jupp - 7 - Did what was required, also got forward well, but a few hospital passes were played.

Prior - 7 - Didn't do a lot of stand-out play, foiled a couple of possible attacks.

Barrett - 9 - Two goals that we so desperately needed, good defensive play and a couple of surging runs with the ball.

Wilson - 8 - Like Prior not a lot of standout play, performed a lot better at LB than he did last season. Real competition for Nicolau.

Gower - 7 - Still looks off the pace, and an inability to make "real" tackles is beginning to show.

Bentley - 7 - Didn't get involved for the first 20minutes, but some good play in the second half.

Maher - 7 - Put himself about a fair bit but to no real danger to the Macclesfield defence. Got himself booked for dissent yet again.

Pettefer - 7 - Good battler, and a nice crosser of the ball, again didn't do a lot of standout play.

Bramble - 8 - Best performance of the past 2 seasons for me, good control, nice runs and clever play.

Dudfield - 8 - Looked a constant threat to the Silkmen and possibly should have gotten a goal. They will come very soon for him.

Hunt - 6 - Nothing really of note, covered well for Prior when needed.

Broughton - Maybe had 5 touches of the ball plus a mish*t left-footed shot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ Aug. 30 2004,20:51)]Apart from a blatant picked-up back-pass being ignored by the poor referee
Was never a pass back in a million years and shows how little some football fans know.

The defender played it back off his thigh and for a pass back to count it has to come off the feet and be deliberate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 30 2004,20:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ Aug. 30 2004,20:51)]Apart from a blatant picked-up back-pass being ignored by the poor referee
Was never a pass back in a million years and shows how little some football fans know.

The defender played it back off his thigh and for a pass back to count it has to come off the feet and be deliberate.
Easy there Scriv

From my view at the back of the East Greens it looked like a clear back-pass. Many others in the area thought so as well.

(Tell Ross to not answer his phone when he's on the field next time!)

definately looked a back pass to me too. incidently, does anyone know why prior pulled up the legs of his shorts and parted his legs to a very interested ref !

It was definitely off the defenders thigh. Why me and a couple of others were the only ones to realise it down the front of the greens, whilst everyone else jumped up appealing I don't know!?
tounge.gif

Mr Singh indicated to the baying crowd that it had come off of the blokes thigh. I am ignorant as I didn't realise using thighs didn't count as a back pass.

sad.gif

.............To the back of the class   ----------------->

good match report, but you failed to mention the foul smell that wafted its way round the east greens for the duration of the second half!
wink.gif

learn the rules boys (well done el presednti ) its rather embarrasing when 3500 people start screaming at mr singh when he is in the right (playing the ball back with your thigh is not a back pass ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jokercomedyclub @ Aug. 30 2004,22:16)]learn the rules boys (well done el presednti ) its rather embarrasing when 3500 people start screaming at mr singh when he is in the right (playing the ball back with your thigh is not a back pass ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Must admit, that's news to me.

While we're talking rules, can I point out that you cannot be offside from a goal kick (or a throw in). Is similarly embarrasing when half the East Green's shout at Broughton to get back on side when we have a goal kick. No wonder refs ignore some of our more valid appeals (and there were a number today - Joe Ross has a contender for his title as worst ref in the league).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jokercomedyclub @ Aug. 30 2004,22:16)]learn the rules boys (well done el presednti ) its rather embarrasing when 3500 people start screaming at mr singh when he is in the right (playing the ball back with your thigh is not a back pass ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leave it out... from row p in the east greens you can't tell a leg from a hip without involving a pair of binoculars and a slow motion replay. obviously the ref was closer and made the correct decision.

to be fair it was a close one. Was speaking to my uncle who

a) is generally an encyclopaedic knowledge of continental and domestic football for the last 40 years.

and b) lives next door to a third div ref (tenuous I know, but I like to pretend it's relevant)

...and he explained to me that it's fine to thigh it back to the keeper. However, anything below the knee, due to the difficulty in distinguishing it from the foot, is not a valid backpass and should be penalised. Quite why a player would deliberately shin it back is beyond me but after slipping, he was mighty close!

Still, I wasn't aware of the offside from a GK rule. If this is the case, why don't you get strikers to do it all the time and keepers with massive kicks?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (benfleet shrimper @ Aug. 30 2004,21:05)]good match report, but you failed to mention the foul smell that wafted its way round the east greens for the duration of the second half!
wink.gif
Shagster et al tried blaming that on me.

Kev

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (benfleet shrimper @ Aug. 30 2004,22:05)]good match report, but you failed to mention the foul smell that wafted its way round the east greens for the duration of the second half!
wink.gif
I may be able to identify the culprit.

You will recall elsewhere on this board about the chap who used to wear red trousers and support Dagenham (Cedric/Cecil or suchlike) and the hilarious incident at Upton Park on Tuesday night when one of our fans tried to rip his SUFC shirt off because he kept whinging about anything and everything and stating how Dagenham were much better.

Anyway I spotted Cedric/Cecil down Vic. Ave. before the game with his Shrimpers shirt on and a black eye (hope that wasn't from one of our fans) inquisitively examining his trainers after he had walked straight through a huge pile of dog crap outside the Spread! He was definitely en route to the East Stand and I doubt he had the ability to remove the stuff from the little grooves on the soles!

Does he sit in the East Greens? Somebody must know who I mean - I made a mental note never to sit anywhere near the annoying ginger whinger after being bored senseless by his inane ramblings in the West Stand a few seasons ago.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpergarry @ Aug. 30 2004,22:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (benfleet shrimper @ Aug. 30 2004,22:05)]good match report, but you failed to mention the foul smell that wafted its way round the east greens for the duration of the second half!
wink.gif
Anyway I spotted Cedric/Cecil down Vic. Ave. before the game with his Shrimpers shirt on and a black eye (hope that wasn't from one of our fans) inquisitively examining his trainers after he had walked straight through a huge pile of dog crap outside the Spread! He was definitely en route to the East Stand and I doubt he had the ability to remove the stuff from the little grooves on the soles!
I was bloody close to stepping in that myself!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You will recall elsewhere on this board about the chap who used to wear red trousers and support Dagenham (Cedric/Cecil or suchlike) and the hilarious incident at Upton Park on Tuesday night when one of our fans tried to rip his SUFC shirt off because he kept whinging about anything and everything and stating how Dagenham were much better.

Does he sit in the East Greens? Somebody must know who I mean - I made a mental note never to sit anywhere near the annoying ginger whinger after being bored senseless by his inane ramblings in the West Stand a few seasons ago.

That will be Dagenham Kevin who lives in Rainham and supports 9 clubs including Avley, Daggers, Southend, Grays and many more! He use to sit in East reds in Row E around the seat 60-70 Area but was moved by Jobson for ****ing of supporters around there so he now sits at the front of the yellow! still latest news he got beat up by his brother (sombody needed to slap some sence into this bloke mite aswell be his own brother) Talking to him today in the 'Groundsman' which is the bar below the Red, Yellow and Blue sections of the east stand he was telling me about how hes upset his mum and he has no friends and he is still sucidal since 1998 - then again he did tell me today that the robots are taking over soon and that we wont be required at football matches!

you have been told!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Aug. 31 2004,02:19)]Talking to him today in the 'Groundsman' which is the bar below the Red, Yellow and Blue sections of the east stand he was telling me about how hes upset his mum and he has no friends and he is still sucidal since 1998 ...
I've known Kevin for quite a while and kept quiet after all the abuse he has received recently. But I feel I cannot contain my silence for any longer. Kevin is a frustrating young man. He is passionate about football and passionate about the teams he cares for, which include Southend United and Dagenham & Redbridge. I actually spent a very traumatic evening with him after he had been kicked out of his apartment for not paying a series of bills which he had claimed he had not received; several convoluted calls later and we had it all sorted. Kev winds me up more than anything in the world bu we helped him out because he was (and despite all indications remains) a Shrimper. He may come across as a "top stroker" but he is far more complex. I just wish we had a few more passionate chaps like him ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 31 2004,01:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Aug. 31 2004,02:19)]Talking to him today in the 'Groundsman' which is the bar below the Red, Yellow and Blue sections of the east stand he was telling me about how hes upset his mum and he has no friends and he is still sucidal since 1998 ...
I've known Kevin for quite a while and kept quiet after all the abuse he has received recently. But I feel I cannot contain my silence for any longer. Kevin is a frustrating young man. He is passionate about football and passionate about the teams he cares for, which include Southend United and Dagenham & Redbridge. I actually spent a very traumatic evening with him after he had been kicked out of his apartment for not paying a series of bills which he had claimed he had not received; several convoluted calls later and we had it all sorted. Kev winds me up more than anything in the world bu we helped him out because he was (and despite all indications remains) a Shrimper. He may come across as a "top stroker" but he is far more complex. I just wish we had a few more passionate chaps like him ...

WS
I believe this young man is also an epileptic, having witnessed one such attack a good few years back... psycologically, it may appear on the outside, that he has a few screws loose... but epilepsy can contribute to that and they generally talk nonsense and don't appear to be on top of their game!

I have had a few conversations with him and to be honest, none of them really made a lot of sense to me... except for his passion for the beautiful game! so what, if he supports every local football club in favour of paying his bills [if that was the truth of the matter?], it really is none of our business at the end of the day... he has his problems, but he doesn't need us adding to them!

Give the man a break!
wink.gif

Back