• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Lomas

Manager
Hi All, from now on, I will be posting match reports of all the Blues games I attend; along with "Opposition Watch" And "League 2 Round-Up". Today's "Opposition Watch" has already been posted. Check it out here: http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?79514-Opposition-Watch-Mansfield-Town

Below is an example of my work. This is the sort of thing to expect! Please take your time to read it, I apologise in advance for the length, but it IS a match report after all!

Match: Rotherham United 0-3 Southend United

BONGO KEEN TO SUSTAIN FORM

Team Performance Impresses Southend's On-Loan Striker.

"Two goals from Britt Assombalonga and another from Dave Martin gave Southend United victory on their first ever visit to Rotherham's New York Stadium.

The Watford loanee, who recently extended his loan until January, took his goal tally up to nine for the season with a brace not long after half time and was joined on the scoresheet by former Derby and Millwall midfielder David Martin.

Paul Sturrock's side looked bright and lively from the start, but it was the hosts who started the stronger of the two sides, with midfielder Gareth Evans forcing Blues' 'keeper Paul Smith into a decent save low down to his left hand side. Moments later, Ben Pringle fired over the crossbar from the edge of the area.

Having survived the scares and strong Rotherham counter attacks, Blues thought they had opened the scoring when Ryan Cresswell, playing against his former side, headed Kevan Hurst's cross back across goal and Assombalonga tapped the ball into the net, only for the goal to be ruled out for offside.

Blues didn't let this affect they way they played, and kept pressuring their hosts, with Assombalonga again going close to scoring, when his near-post shot was tipped over the bar by Rotherham 'keeper Scott Shearer. Blues continued to pile on the pressure and were again unlucky not to score when Millers' captain Ian Sharps did well to stop Ryan Leonard converting Gavin Tomlin's low cross.

In the second half, Southend didn't have to wait long to break the deadlock. 6 minutes after the break, David Martin brilliantly picked out Britt Assombalonga with a deadly left wing cross who headed home from 6 yards out to give Blues the lead and sent the travelling fans delirious. Not long after, Assombalonga was on target again. Sean Clohessy delivered a cross into the box which the Watford loanee brought down brilliantly before cleverly making space for himself while surrounded by three Rotherham players to curl the ball into the top right hand corner from 12 yards out.

With a two goal lead, Blues continued to push forward, forcing some fine saves from Shearer in the Rotherham goal. Kevan Hurst's cross was almost converted by Assombalonga, but he had to stretch for it and could only steer the ball wide of the left hand post.

After all the pressure, which included Martin firing an inviting ball across the face of goal, Blues managed to grab a third goal to seal the win. Gavin Tomlin initially started the attack when he broke free of the Rotherham defence and delivered a pinpoint cross onto the head of Assombalonga who's header was tipped onto the bar by Shearer, but the ball fell kindly for David Martin to nod the ball into the back of the net from two yards out, sending the visiting Blues fans into hysterics.

Southend nearly made it a repeat of last season, when they beat Rotherham 4-0 away, when they almost scored a fourth goal in the 78th minute. A mis-hit shot from Assombalonga found its way to Tomlin who composed himself before firing narrowly wide of the left hand post.

Three minutes later, Blues were forced into making their first change of the match, when former Rotherham defender Cresswell limped off the pitch with cramp to be replaced by another ex-Miller, Graham Coughlan in the heart of defence.

3 minutes from time, Blues made their second change, bringing Peterborough loanee Jonson Clarke Harris on in place of Assombalonga up front. Clarke-Harris looked lively and almost scored himself in the final minute but his header was sent straight into the open arms of Shearer.

Moments later, referee Tony Harrington blew for full time. Blues comprehensively won the match 3-0 and sent their travelling supporters home delighted. After the game, Assombalonga said: "There's nothing more we could have added to our game today, we came out three-nil winners and could have scored more to be honest. My second goal was good to be fair, I just had to keep my composure in the box. Most strikers would just hit it, but I took my time and it turned out to be the right decision. Had I hit it I think I would have put it wide or over the goal. I scored two goals so i'm happy! I did have one disallowed, which means i'm still waiting for my first professional hat-trick, but at the moment, I can't ask for much more"."

Please note: The "interview" with Britt at the end was taken from Blues Player, with the permission of the club.

Mate, I'm going to lock this thread now - and I'm thinking that for your own benefit as you're already starting to take some flak. I think we get what you're trying to do but there's no need to keep telling us what's going to happen, just get on and do it.

• If you want to write a match report, just do it, and post it under the Match Reports and Ratings threads.
  • No need to keep on showing us the quality of what you've done before (you've already posted the above here), just do what you've said you're going to do. Post it in the right thread at the right time, or again, you're just going to invite flak.
  • No need to apologise for the length of a report either, if people like it, they'll read it.
  • No need to thank the world and his wife for their support on your posts.
  • No need to start a new thread just to talk about or reference something you've written in another thread.

In short, relax, post, show us your skills at the right time in the the right place, and just get involved.

For the record, it's an EXCELLENT report and the Opposition Watch threads will be a valuable addition to the Zone. Keep them coming, just kill the posts that keep telling us they're coming!

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back