• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matchday support

rabbloke

Coach
I know the supporters have not had a lot to cheer over the last number of years but Roots Hall is fast becoming a morgue. Cant we all come up with suggestions as how to rally the fans and in so doing rouse the troops? A drum band perhaps or assistance from the home tannoy. New chants. Anything that lifts a heartbeat.

I still maintain that we need a group of instrument playing southend fans to form a band to play on matchdays to raise the roof at roots hall.

Suggestion 1 : A winning team.

Suggestion 2 : A winning team.

Suggestion 3 : A winning team.

WS

tounge.gif

Chicken and egg there, Mike. What comes first? A winning team that gets the atmosphere going, or the atmosphere gets the team going?

Could argue either way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 15 2004,13:17)]Chicken and egg there, Mike. What comes first? A winning team that gets the atmosphere going, or the atmosphere gets the team going?

Could argue either way.
Name one club in the history of football where 10 years of abject dross has been turned into glorious success merely by atmosphere in the ground.

One feeds of the other; success on the pitch leads to improved atmosphere, bigger crowds, more money, better players, more success, even bigger crowds.

Initially, it needs a bit of success on the pitch to get things going.

Exactly, Mark. But I can't see any other way to improve the atmosphere at Roots Hall. Our support is notoriously fickle; it always has been for as long as I remember. But when the football on the pitch is good, the atmosphere in the stadium is second to none. A winning team would bring back such an atmosphere ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Aug. 15 2004,14:29)]Name one club in the history of football where 10 years of abject dross has been turned into glorious success merely by atmosphere in the ground.
Congawala Rovers of the Gambian First Division. Doing really well after 10 years and 3 days of terrible results and relegations... and it's all down to their fans being, on average, 10 decibels higher per game in a very positive nature.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 15 2004,13:12)]Suggestion 1 : A winning team.

WS

tounge.gif
I like these suggestions

[b said:

WS

tounge.gif
Been dreaming again Mike ?

blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 15 2004,13:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Aug. 15 2004,14:29)]Name one club in the history of football where 10 years of abject dross has been turned into glorious success merely by atmosphere in the ground.
Congawala Rovers of the Gambian First Division. Doing really well after 10 years and 3 days of terrible results and relegations... and it's all down to their fans being, on average, 10 decibels higher per game in a very positive nature.

tounge.gif
->
biggrin.gif
<- not a sarcastic grin, but a fond memory of the Gambia... the place is still timeless and relatively unspoilt by tourism!
wink.gif

Their king [for the record!] since the 1960's is known as...

His Excellency, The Honourable, Alhaji, Sir Dawda Kairabi Jawara

I should think they would turn out some pretty good footballers there actually... when I was there, the kids would be kicking a ball round the streets of Banjul and even in the villages of the Senegambia, you'd see them having a game!

I guess that us Brit's have left our "mark" on them in the same way as we have on Malta...
wow.gif

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Aug. 15 2004,13:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 15 2004,13:17)]Chicken and egg there, Mike. What comes first? A winning team that gets the atmosphere going, or the atmosphere gets the team going?

Could argue either way.
Name one club in the history of football where 10 years of abject dross has been turned into glorious success merely by atmosphere in the ground.

One feeds of the other; success on the pitch leads to improved atmosphere, bigger crowds, more money, better players, more success, even bigger crowds.

Initially, it needs a bit of success on the pitch to get things going.
I am not saying that a good atmosphere would guarantee success but it might help. I am saying that a good atmosphere may make the whole thing more enjoyable for the fans whatever the result. I cant keep leaving Roots Hall, getting home, kicking the cat and putting the wife out. Or is it the other way round?. Whatever. For the money we pay it would be nice to get value from enjoying the occassion and it wont do the team any harm either.

[b said:

WS

tounge.gif
Stupid comments we don't need

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jenks19 @ Aug. 15 2004,22:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Aug. 15 2004,13:12)]Suggestion 1 : A winning team.

WS

tounge.gif
Stupid comments we don't need
And what's so stupid about them then, Mr Jenks?! Can we have your solutions?!

After watching the Shrimpers for over 25 years, it is very apparent that only a successful (i.e. winning) team at Roots Hall will raise attendances, not some bloke with a drum or a fancy little ditty playing over the tannoy system ...

WS

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Aug. 15 2004,21:29)]For the money we pay it would be nice to get value from enjoying the occassion and it wont do the team any harm either.
Agreed. The admission prices are far too high but SUFC are a business and they have to make money to a) survive and b) invest.

However I'd like to point out that this is the basement of the Football League and one should only expect basement league football on the pitch. If we wanted (or even expected) value for money then maybe we should all go and watch the likes of Arsenal or Man Ure. (And, my! Arsenal looked awesome today!)

WS

You just make it sound so simple. We all want a winning team so why state the bloody obvious.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jenks19 @ Aug. 15 2004,22:18)]You just make it sound so simple. We all want a winning team so why state the bloody obvious.
Hey! With all the doom and gloom winging its way around ShrimperZone this weekend, I just wanted to lighten up the mood.

Maybe I won't bother next time ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Aug. 15 2004,21:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Aug. 15 2004,21:29)]For the money we pay it would be nice to get value from enjoying the occassion and it wont do the team any harm either.
Agreed. The admission prices are far too high but SUFC are a business and they have to make money to a) survive and b) invest.

However I'd like to point out that this is the basement of the Football League and one should only expect basement league football on the pitch. If we wanted (or even expected) value for money then maybe we should all go and watch the likes of Arsenal or Man Ure. (And, my! Arsenal looked awesome today!)

WS
I agree the club has to make money to survive. Invest in what exactly Ron Martin's big house and property business.  That's all it seems to be about is having the money to be successful. Ron Martin and his little helpers are not the answer to our club being successful. Just my opinion. It also takes commitment from the people working for the club. Why must we have the West Ham fans working for our club?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jenks19 @ Aug. 15 2004,22:29)]I agree the club has to make money to survive. Invest in what exactly Ron Martin's big house and property business.  That's all it seems to be about is having the money to be successful. Ron Martin and his little helpers are not the answer to our club being successful. Just my opinion. It also takes commitment from the people working for the club. Why must we have the West Ham fans working for our club?
How about investing in the playing squad?! Christ, so many people have bemoaned the fact that we have no cash to pay out decent wages to attract decent players! I'm afraid money provides the very essence to allow a club to be successful; just look at the likes of Man Ure, Arsenal and Chelsea for example.

As for West Ham fans working for our club. Why not?! Why is it some Southend fans consider West Ham as the "uber-enemy" all of a sudden. I mean it's not as if the feeling is reciprocated by Hammers fans! In fact the three West Ham fans here in Jávea chuckled when I told them that some of us think of them as main rivals; they have far bigger fish to worry about ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Aug. 15 2004,21:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jenks19 @ Aug. 15 2004,22:29)]I agree the club has to make money to survive. Invest in what exactly Ron Martin's big house and property business.  That's all it seems to be about is having the money to be successful. Ron Martin and his little helpers are not the answer to our club being successful. Just my opinion. It also takes commitment from the people working for the club. Why must we have the West Ham fans working for our club?
How about investing in the playing squad?! Christ, so many people have bemoaned the fact that we have no cash to pay out decent wages to attract decent players! I'm afraid money provides the very essence to allow a club to be successful; just look at the likes of Man Ure, Arsenal and Chelsea for example.

As for West Ham fans working for our club. Why not?! Why is it some Southend fans consider West Ham as the "uber-enemy" all of a sudden. I mean it's not as if the feeling is reciprocated by Hammers fans! In fact the three West Ham fans here in Jávea chuckled when I told them that some of us think of them as main rivals; they have far bigger fish to worry about ...

WS
Supporters of SUFC don't want to hear well when I was at West Ham and at West Ham this happens .......
All we are concerned about is SUFC. Getting Nike on board with kit was a great start but we need to build on that. It's getting the people in who have the contacts to attract the money that we need. Give me the job of getting people in with the contacts. The hard work would pay off in the end. Ok so we're not Man United, Arsenal or Chelsea I know that.
We can't continue to pay players crap wages because you get what you pay for

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jenks19 @ Aug. 15 2004,22:51)]We can't continue to pay players crap wages because you get what you pay for
I agree.

But we appear to have very little spare capital to use to attract a better quality of player to Roots Hall ...

WS

Back