• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

is their anyone out their that thinks poor matt got a bit of a raw deal at southend or even thought he was ok ? ok he never got a hatfull of goals for us but always gave his all and was only young a still learning the game, and we got a fee for the lad, wish him all the best as he was a local boy as well, just got a bad habit of getting goals against his old sides :stunned:

You're quite right of course.I've already been in touch with a Brizzle supporting mate to congratulate him on their result and MH scoring yet again.

My biggest disappointment today ................. the disgraceful Matt Harold to die "song" from some morons in the West Stand !

No place for such disgraceful 'songs' !

Am all for banter and light hearted abuse, but sentiments from the Blue Voice when Harold came on - has no place on football terraces - end of !

Harold was treated awfully when he was here, but his greatest 'crime' was not being a good enough player at the level we was at. That is the reason he is always so fired up against us !

If you don't feel you are in the wrong with the 'song' from earlier - I pity you !

Err...what has Harrold ever done too wrong........poor old morons are crying in there beers tonight though!

Couldn't give a damn what we were chanting at Harrold today. It's what we called him when he was playing for us that always irked me, ginger this and that was started by some posters on here taking the **** and then that got transferred onto the terraces and he was copping abuse without even playing badly. What a load of bollocks that was, kid of his age having to step into Eastwood's position in the Championship and getting ripped by his own team's fans before he'd even got his feet under the table.

Now he plays for someone else, i have no reason to support him so opposition baiting is fine by me, why some people are getting their knickers in a twist is beyond me, it's a man's game so man up.

Ease up...I simply made reference to the fact that TB and other posters seemed to have ended a debate amongst themselves on a different thread to yours. Nowt to do with me, I suggest you fire me over a PM if your response is aimed at myself.

Only aimed at you if you was singing the song ! Why the hell would I want to message you - maybe to thank you for the neg rep !!

Answer the question you are saying that our supporters do not support the team???? Well???
No, as usual you are reading something into my words that isn't there. I'm saying they don't do it enough. Aside from a few minutes chanting and booing when Harrold came on, which I think is fair game, I think far more effort should have been put into getting behind our team. Second game in a row, I heard chanting from the South. It's all very well doing the "We're top of the league" one ad nauseum but I don't think that gets the team going, the crowd needs to motivate the players more sometimes.

Remember what PS felt about support and the difference in our performances when that improved?

Changing subject - thought there was an interesting bit of banter with Harrold from the South Upper yesterday:

Fasto (for I think it was he): Eff off Harrold, you're sh*t.

Harrold: Well, if I'm so sh*t, why did you try to sign me in the summer, then?!

Well, I thought it was interesting at any rate. Anyone reckon we went for him before we got Dicko? Can't say I'm terribly unhappy at how that has panned out - but there's no doubting that Harrold is a better player than he was when he was at the Hall. Very well taken goal yesterday, I thought (as was Harris's, to be fair) and the perfect riposte to the barracking he'd copped.

Matt

Why some of our fans get so obsessed with ex-players i will never know, instead if getting behind the team they spent the last 10 minute singing that **** die, die, harrold song pathetic.

No, as usual you are reading something into my words that isn't there. I'm saying they don't do it enough. Aside from a few minutes chanting and booing when Harrold came on, which I think is fair game, I think far more effort should have been put into getting behind our team. Second game in a row, I heard chanting from the South. It's all very well doing the "We're top of the league" one ad nauseum but I don't think that gets the team going, the crowd needs to motivate the players more sometimes.

Remember what PS felt about support and the difference in our performances when that improved?

Then put that then rather then saying we should concentrate on supporting the team!

If it's just a small minority are singing these "songs", why doesn't TBV drown them out with pro-SUFC songs? Just saying like....

When we play Bristol rovers away does anyone else agree that we all should chip in a few quid each so we can buy lots and lots of flowers and chocolates to give to harrold before the game to congratulate him on his goal yesterday, because we shouldn't of boo'ed him and I felt so bad This morning about doing it :sad

Well we can all see now that Harrold plays of the abuse he get's from us. Good player at this level.

why cannot people accept that booing our players make them play worse and booing ex players makes them play better. Simple psychology. In fact it's best to cheer ex players. Remember Roycie's 4 goals a few seasons ago. Frankly if I had been Harrold and scored after 5 minutes after being booed and had a song about him dying I'd have gone over to the ***** winding them up. If you can't take it don't dish it out.
PS anyone defending the Harrold die song requires urgent therapy. Pathetic.

Absolutely spot on :thumbsup:

why cannot people accept that booing our players make them play worse and booing ex players makes them play better. Simple psychology. In fact it's best to cheer ex players. Remember Roycie's 4 goals a few seasons ago. Frankly if I had been Harrold and scored after 5 minutes after being booed and had a song about him dying I'd have gone over to the ***** winding them up. If you can't take it don't dish it out.

Exactly. It makes me laugh when football fans complain that there aren't any characters in the game anymore, players have no passion they're like robots etc. then when they give a bit of banter back to fans who are abusing them they get up in arms. Harrold did what any of us would've done, fair play to him (by the way, is that what he got booked for? I wasn't there). You can talk about his tackle on Mohsni last season but, without wanting to make this sound like a child's argument, you (our fans) started it. I can understand booing him, to be honest if I'd been there I'm sure I would've joined in, but signing a song about him dying is going too far. He's a local boy, some of his family and friends may have been there yesterday. We signed Harrold at the wrong time, he wasn't and isn't good enough for the Championship. He's a decent, honest, hard-working lower league striker and it wouldn't surprise me if we did try to sign him in the summer, although if we got Dickinson instead of him then I'm quite happy as Dickinson is far better. Some of the abuse he got when he played for us was horrible - I remember when he missed a penalty at Luton and people went mad. When we play Bristol Rovers away I expect to hear loud renditions of 'there's only one Matt Harrold'... :tease:

The reverse psychology approach (ie cheering rather than booing)...totally agree. Why don't we try it? It will confuse the player in question and, as a result, is far more likely to stifle their play. But in practice do I think we'll have the sense to do it. Err, no.

Not quite the same scenario as I know we still loved him after he left, but I remember being at Forest the season after Stan Collymore left to join them. Our fans didn't stop chanting for him. You could see he didn't know how to react. He was unsettled. And had an absolute stinker of a game.

The reverse psychology approach (ie cheering rather than booing)...totally agree. Why don't we try it? It will confuse the player in question and, as a result, is far more likely to stifle their play. But in practice do I think we'll have the sense to do it. Err, no.

Not quite the same scenario as I know we still loved him after he left, but I remember being at Forest the season after Stan Collymore left to join them. Our fans didn't stop chanting for him. You could see he didn't know how to react. He was unsettled. And had an absolute stinker of a game.
And that's worked in the same way for Royce (as others have said) and Maher.

A keen gym enthusiast! Matty loved the gym, but wasn't the best on the pitch but he tried.
No need to rub it in though!

Back