• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My point is there is a difference between racism and banter.

With respect that is precisely where the hypocrisy lies. What gives you or anyone the right to make that value judgement?
Does it make you feel less bad about making a personal insult if you convince yourself it is merely "banter"?

We even looked at signing him last week!

And nine pages on tells you why he won't come back !
I always liked him to be honest - someone at work used to be neighbours with him in rayleigh and said what a nice bloke he is. You could have put your mortgage on him scoring saturday but as long as we are top 3 come may etc etc.
Can I request this thread doesn't come something it shouldn't do please - taking about race and disability - getting a bit OTT to be honest.

With respect that is precisely where the hypocrisy lies. What gives you or anyone the right to make that value judgement?
Does it make you feel less bad about making a personal insult if you convince yourself it is merely "banter"?

You're the one trying to make the value judgement. The fact that it's less socially unacceptable to use the colour of someone's skin as an insult than it is the colour of their hair is precisely because society recognises that there's a massive difference between the two for very real, tangible, historical reasons.

I'm not defending people picking on ginger people particularly. A friend of mine caught his nine year old daughter trying to cut her hair off last week because she's bullied every day by other kids because of the colour of her hair.

I feel another game of "Guess Who" coming on ...

Right, i'll go first... do you have ginger hair ??

On the subject of racism/gingerism etc...I have lived up north long enough to sound vaguely northern to many people from the south (to many northerners I apparently still sound like a 'cockney') but most people up here who know me know my affinity is still 100% Southend so I get sent Essex jokes which I respond to with Northern jokes (strangely these don't always go down that well with the senders of Essex jokes) - am I a racist or a victim of racism? :unsure:

Back