• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matt Paterson

Plenty of talent, but no application. I wonder if the drop down into non-league has done him good? Doubt it really.

Hmm, not good enough for them. Could possibly be a Championship player next season if he gets the move :nope:
He's still so weedy as well. Get on the weights lad.

17 goals this season
We've managed 24 as a team

Paterson for England

Has 14 goals in 20 games according to Wiki.

Same level Williams managed 5 goals in 7 games.

Nice to see him find a level he could stick at as his career was a pretty depressing downward spiral

Championship Southampton to League One Southend to League Two Burton to Conference Aldershot to Conference South Havant & Waterlooville before finally finding success at fellow Conference South side Gosport.

He was on a hiding to nothing when he was signed. A young kid expected to replace Barnard and score the goals to keep us up. He hadn't a prayer and I felt sorry for him. Glad he has had the chance to do well at whatever level.

He was on a hiding to nothing when he was signed. A young kid expected to replace Barnard and score the goals to keep us up. He hadn't a prayer and I felt sorry for him. Glad he has had the chance to do well at whatever level.

Agreed, and someone the supporters never took to.

Agreed, and someone the supporters never took to.

There were several games I saw where he blatantly wasn't trying. It was no surprise he ended up getting frozen out. Fans might be fickle but they're pretty good at spotting if a player is putting the effort in.

Last edited:
i really wanted Scott Spencer to work out, really did. not even close

Same here. His goal against Huddersfield was great, but then his trajectory was very similar to Paterson's - didn't seem to try, didn't seem fussed - and now he's in non-league.

This was a kid who a prem team spent £200k on.

Just shows how much of pro football is about attitude.

"On 6 January 2012, Paterson joined Forest Green Rovers on loan. The deal ran for a month. Paterson was sent off on his debut against Mansfield Town the following day for serious foul play, only 12 minutes after coming on as a substitute in what proved to be his only appearance." says Wiki. He certainly changed the game!

The ace space waster was on the subs bench for Havant and Waterlooville yesterday at Concord Rangers. He managed to get on and faff about for the last 15 mins with nil shots on target or otherwise and negligible contribution, ..felt like he'd never been away.. H&W kept thier hopes of staying in the division alive with a scrappy 1-0 win. Ryman Prem still beckons for them next year.

Other notables and Southend connections.. Manager Lee Bradbury still gallantly trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear with that expensive squad... One time blues target James Hayter was also on the bench (unused), ...never forgiven him for the leg breaker on Efe... and former loanee Scott Donnelly has found his level making the H&W 8 shirt his own..

Hahahahaha!!!!

An oddly prescient post.

Hard to think of a more humiliating way to lose to a non-league club than to be knocked out at home by a Matt Paterson header.

Lolchester.

Is now not the time to remind you of this?

Kingstonian

We lost at home to a team including ex Shrimper Mark Beard. Although, according to that Sky website page I'm not surprised. According to them we played with 10 men and no 'keeper (according to that Flavs played up front).

Back