• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
Nearly a year as manager of Southampton and he still cannot speak English. I really do think that is shocking. Tevez spent so long in England and refused to learn the language and did all his interviews in his native tongue. I know it obviously isn't affecting the team as they are doing great but I think it's terrible that he hasn't learnt English or at least tried to give some interviews in English. It's not hard as every other foreign manager/player manages it.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Heard that he actually speaks English very well. My theory is that he is trying to stay out of the headlines as much as possible. The less quotes he gives (excuse being the language) then the less of him the media have to use. Also removes any chance of being misquoted or accidentally saying the wrong thing while he gets to grip with the new language.

On the Tevez front, I agree it is sad that he refused the learn the language and he was here long enough to even become a British citizen (7 years he was here).

Well if that's the case then fair enough fully understandable. I thought he was just going down the Tevez route and being an ignorant ****. He claimed he didn't learn English because he was home sick and wasn't planning to stay long. 7 years was a long time and he has moved even further away from Argentina now.

Tevez is an arrogant *****, Pochettino would appear to be doing a good enough job and hopefully, in time, will become prepared to begin conducting interviews in English.

He actually can speak english but chooses to speak in his native tongue so he isn't misquoted by the cunning press. I'm sure when he has sharpened up on his english enough he'll start using it in interviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAieod4JpnY

Heard that he actually speaks English very well. My theory is that he is trying to stay out of the headlines as much as possible. The less quotes he gives (excuse being the language) then the less of him the media have to use. Also removes any chance of being misquoted or accidentally saying the wrong thing while he gets to grip with the new language.

On the Tevez front, I agree it is sad that he refused the learn the language and he was here long enough to even become a British citizen (7 years he was here).

This is what I've heard too (indirectly from a Saints supporter) as confirmed in the video.

Personally,I'm a great admirer of his both as a player and manager for Espanyol.

I'd suggest,in any case,you really need to spend at least two years in a foreign country before you're going to acquire a reasonable level of fluency,if you're starting from scratch.

I use a football website and there is a wise poster on there who knows everything and reads papers and books and stuff and he says that this chap can indeed speak english so im saying its got to be true if he thinks so.
Oh and to back this up this chap who posts he also drove near or even past Southampton once so its got to be true.

I use a football website and there is a wise poster on there who knows everything and reads papers and books and stuff and he says that this chap can indeed speak english so im saying its got to be true if he thinks so.
Oh and to back this up this chap who posts he also drove near or even past Southampton once so its got to be true.

As it happens, a mate of mine used to study in Southampton and I did drive down there a couple of times to visit,back in the day.I also remember going to our Cup game there and seeing Matt Le Tissier's early strike knock us out. :winking:

My sister married a german and lives in Germany, when she first went there , the German government gave her 6 months in which to learn the language or move back to England, she and her son born in England from her first husband(englishman) both speak fluent German now.Perhaps English authorities should bring in the same law, after all how does the saying go "when in rome ,do as the romans do"

My sister married a german and lives in Germany, when she first went there , the German government gave her 6 months in which to learn the language or move back to England, she and her son born in England from her first husband(englishman) both speak fluent German now.Perhaps English authorities should bring in the same law, after all how does the saying go "when in rome ,do as the romans do"

How long ago was this?

A Saints fan I know says that Mauricio Pochettino has learned some English but doesn't want to say something wrong live on air that can be misconstrued. Much like Senderos did:

[video=youtube;QYTcf55B-oY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYTcf55B-oY[/video]

A Saints fan I know says that Mauricio Pochettino has learned some English but doesn't want to say something wrong live on air that can be misconstrued. Much like Senderos did:

Can't green at the mo.

Even if English is your first language you can still say something wrong ...

[video=youtube;bu7LquvfeQA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu7LquvfeQA[/video]

Can't green at the mo.

Even if English is your first language you can still say something wrong ...

[video=youtube;bu7LquvfeQA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu7LquvfeQA[/video]

That is funny and you will get green when I can give it back. Surely he means Xenophobic?

Back