• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mayweather v Pacquiao

I reckon ring walk will be around 4.15 with fight starting around 4.30 so if it goes the distance then it will be a late one

Sky sports reckon the ring walk could be as early as 3.45.

Sky sports reckon the ring walk could be as early as 3.45.

Well Sky Sports were wrong, very, very wrong :stunned:

We'd put away so many beers by the time it came on that we were struggling to stay awake by the 4th round! Floyd did well but it doesn't deflect from the fact that he's still a massive great helmet.

Well Sky Sports were wrong, very, very wrong :stunned:

We'd put away so many beers by the time it came on that we were struggling to stay awake by the 4th round! Floyd did well but it doesn't deflect from the fact that he's still a massive great helmet.

I think that would of been dependant on the undercards which were pretty dull and went on too long. The whole experience was ****, Sky sports commentary was appalling I like Carl Froch but he doesn't have babble a lot of ****.

The fight was very disappointing and I'm so shocked that Manny thought he had one. I didn't think the score was as wide as the judges scored it. Yes I agree it was unanimous but not but that much. Mayweather is such a boring fighter but in fairness he stopped Manny bringing his a game. Wonder who will be his next/last fight?

No shock at all. Not far short of a master class from Mayweather, love him or hate him, you've got to respect his ability. He's without a shadow of a doubt, the best of this generation.

Lets get the negatives out of the way first. So many casuals (now this isn't a dig at you Ricey) on Facebook saying Mayweather is boring, or made it a boring fight. Errr it's Floyd Mayweather. He's a defensive, counter puncher. You're not gunna see him involved in a war. If you want war, watch fights like Matthysse & Provodnikov. And to add to that, what Floyd did in that ring, and continues to do, is make multi-weight champions & future Hall-of-Famers, look average. I said before the fight that Manny was still, just about, elite level. He didnt look it last night & a lot of that is down to the brilliance of Floyds performance. Before the fight, Floyd was ranked #1 & Pac was #2 in the P4P rankings list, but the way Floyd kept him at bay, utilised that self-styled Check Hook, didn't allow Pac to get too close, dictated the tempo, fought dirty when he needed to, was unbelieveable. Pac looked a million miles from being the second best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet.
From a purists point of view, it was a good fight. Probably 7.5/10. I can understand casuals not agreeing, or thinking it was crap, but it really wasn't. It just wasn't what a lot of people expected. Which is the complete opposite of what the hardcore fans thought. I knew it would play out like this from the moment the fight was announced.

It's not all down to Floyd though. Manny was a shell of his former self. Nothing to be ashamed off & there's not much he could do to change it, it just is, what it is. I'd be shocked to see him fight again aswell. His post-fight interview was weird, but lets be honest, his mind at that time, would have been all over the place & rational thinking goes out the window. He'll accept he lost, once his head is clear & he rewatches the fight. And if he doesn't, he'll need serious medical attention, along with anyone else who thought Pac won. He didnt get close. I scored it 117-111. Simply couldn't make a case for giving Pac more than 3 rounds. It really wasn't that close & the punch stats back that up aswell. There is no case of a rematch, there is no case of a close-run battle, there is no case of anything other than a dominating Mayweather Victory. Mayweather was troubled once, in the entire fight. Other than that, he commanded every aspect of the fight.

What's next for them? Well Floyd is still contracted to fight in September. And regardless what he says, I still think he'd love to beat Marciano's record. He fights in September & he's out of contract then. I've mentioned before, if he went on to have the 50th fight, we're talking blank cheques & a legacy that will give a little extra credence to his "TBE" claim (even though he's probably not even top 20 of all time)

As for Pac, well it looks like the sun has set on a glamorous, fulfilling career. What fight could he actually mentally build himself up for? What belt would even matter? What money could get you motivated? The only possible way he fights again, is if he has a homecoming fight in Manila, as a way to say goodbye & thanks, to the fans.

No shock at all. Not far short of a master class from Mayweather, love him or hate him, you've got to respect his ability. He's without a shadow of a doubt, the best of this generation.

Lets get the negatives out of the way first. So many casuals (now this isn't a dig at you Ricey) on Facebook saying Mayweather is boring, or made it a boring fight. Errr it's Floyd Mayweather. He's a defensive, counter puncher. You're not gunna see him involved in a war. If you want war, watch fights like Matthysse & Provodnikov. And to add to that, what Floyd did in that ring, and continues to do, is make multi-weight champions & future Hall-of-Famers, look average. I said before the fight that Manny was still, just about, elite level. He didnt look it last night & a lot of that is down to the brilliance of Floyds performance. Before the fight, Floyd was ranked #1 & Pac was #2 in the P4P rankings list, but the way Floyd kept him at bay, utilised that self-styled Check Hook, didn't allow Pac to get too close, dictated the tempo, fought dirty when he needed to, was unbelieveable. Pac looked a million miles from being the second best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet.
From a purists point of view, it was a good fight. Probably 7.5/10. I can understand casuals not agreeing, or thinking it was crap, but it really wasn't. It just wasn't what a lot of people expected. Which is the complete opposite of what the hardcore fans thought. I knew it would play out like this from the moment the fight was announced.

It's not all down to Floyd though. Manny was a shell of his former self. Nothing to be ashamed off & there's not much he could do to change it, it just is, what it is. I'd be shocked to see him fight again aswell. His post-fight interview was weird, but lets be honest, his mind at that time, would have been all over the place & rational thinking goes out the window. He'll accept he lost, once his head is clear & he rewatches the fight. And if he doesn't, he'll need serious medical attention, along with anyone else who thought Pac won. He didnt get close. I scored it 117-111. Simply couldn't make a case for giving Pac more than 3 rounds. It really wasn't that close & the punch stats back that up aswell. There is no case of a rematch, there is no case of a close-run battle, there is no case of anything other than a dominating Mayweather Victory. Mayweather was troubled once, in the entire fight. Other than that, he commanded every aspect of the fight.

What's next for them? Well Floyd is still contracted to fight in September. And regardless what he says, I still think he'd love to beat Marciano's record. He fights in September & he's out of contract then. I've mentioned before, if he went on to have the 50th fight, we're talking blank cheques & a legacy that will give a little extra credence to his "TBE" claim (even though he's probably not even top 20 of all time)

As for Pac, well it looks like the sun has set on a glamorous, fulfilling career. What fight could he actually mentally build himself up for? What belt would even matter? What money could get you motivated? The only possible way he fights again, is if he has a homecoming fight in Manila, as a way to say goodbye & thanks, to the fans.

My heart ruled my head when I wrote that, I was upset because I really wanted Manny to win just to shut Mayweather up. He came out and defied all the pundits who said that Manny would boss him the first few rounds and proved his class from the off. It was boring for me because I love a good brawl and I know from watching previous bouts with Mayweather that wasn't going to happen.

I see Khan reckons he is fighting Mayweather next, think he needs to prove himself against Kell Brook first.

My heart ruled my head when I wrote that, I was upset because I really wanted Manny to win just to shut Mayweather up. He came out and defied all the pundits who said that Manny would boss him the first few rounds and proved his class from the off. It was boring for me because I love a good brawl and I know from watching previous bouts with Mayweather that wasn't going to happen.

I see Khan reckons he is fighting Mayweather next, think he needs to prove himself against Kell Brook first.

The major stumbling block for a Khan-Mayweather fight, is Ramadan. Obviously Khan being a devout Muslim, Ramadan, would interrupt his training camp. It wouldn't be the first time Khan has turned down a fight, due to this either. But, If offered "the chance of a lifetime" I guess we'll see what's more important to him - a 7-figure payday, or his religion.

If it happens - my instant thought is this.. Khan carries no power at WW. Floyd has a decent chin (when he does eventually get hit). Therefore, Khan can only theoretically win on points. To win on points, Khan has to emulate Mayweather. Be in-and-out quickly, scoring decisive, accurate shots, beat floyd to the punch, but throw 3, 4, 5, 6 punches at a time. constantly move around the ring. Dont let the defensive, counter puncher, fight his way. Try & forcefully remove him from his comfort zone. Thats how you nick rounds. If he can get Mayweather out of his rhythm, he stands half a chance, but he won't, because he can't. He's just not good enough. But then, who is?

The major stumbling block for a Khan-Mayweather fight, is Ramadan. Obviously Khan being a devout Muslim, Ramadan, would interrupt his training camp. It wouldn't be the first time Khan has turned down a fight, due to this either. But, If offered "the chance of a lifetime" I guess we'll see what's more important to him - a 7-figure payday, or his religion.

If it happens - my instant thought is this.. Khan carries no power at WW. Floyd has a decent chin (when he does eventually get hit). Therefore, Khan can only theoretically win on points. To win on points, Khan has to emulate Mayweather. Be in-and-out quickly, scoring decisive, accurate shots, beat floyd to the punch, but throw 3, 4, 5, 6 punches at a time. constantly move around the ring. Dont let the defensive, counter puncher, fight his way. Try & forcefully remove him from his comfort zone. Thats how you nick rounds. If he can get Mayweather out of his rhythm, he stands half a chance, but he won't, because he can't. He's just not good enough. But then, who is?

No one and that has been proven on Sunday morning. I think he will go for two more fights to equal then beat Rocky Marciano's 49 and 0. But like you said who is he going fight? There was talk going round about another fight against Manny.

I'm a bit disappointed by Manny and his David Haye esq excuse for his performance. Less embarrassing than a broken toe but if you were into a massive fight like that with a shoulder injury you might of postponed it. I understand his reasons for not doing it but he just made himself look even worse.

No one and that has been proven on Sunday morning. I think he will go for two more fights to equal then beat Rocky Marciano's 49 and 0. But like you said who is he going fight? There was talk going round about another fight against Manny.

I'm a bit disappointed by Manny and his David Haye esq excuse for his performance. Less embarrassing than a broken toe but if you were into a massive fight like that with a shoulder injury you might of postponed it. I understand his reasons for not doing it but he just made himself look even worse.

Don't be too disheartened with Pac. As I said, he's just lost THE fight of his dreams. His head would have been swimming with mixed emotions & confusion. Give him time to settle down & rewatch the fight & he'll accept it easier. The excuses are just a part of coping with the loss.

If Floyd was out of shape, or dwindling away, I could see the case for retirement now. But on Sunday, he could have gone 15 rounds easily. And this is why, I believe he'll chase & set the 50-0 record. September &, if he does decide to fight for the 50th & final time, it'll be the usual Cinco De Mayo Weekend, next May.Who against, is anyone's guess. He's only got a handful of options though tbh...

Khan - If Khan doesn't take the September Fight, his chance may be gone. He cant afford to wait a year, whilst trying to stay relevent & hoping to get the May gig.

Keith Thurman - still at least 12/18 months away from being ready. He will be a good fighter in a few years, but he doesn't trouble Floyd yet.

Danny Garcia - no thanks. Would be a very dull fight, with Mayweather winning by total shutout.

Kell Brook - couldnt get close enough. Would put up a spirited battle, but would lose by landslide

Golovkin - mouth watering fight. GGG has more chance of sparking Floyd, than Pac did. He's a decent technician aswell, so could close the gap & move Floyd around. I could see Floyd in trouble here, but that's my heart talking, whilst my head says, Floyd stays out of harms way & nicks a close run fight by 3-4 rounds. Of course another stumbling block, is he fact GGG would have to step down in weight, whilst Floyd would have to go up. Can't see this happening at all, but is the best matchup of the lot.

The other choices would all be rematches, and seeing as no-one has improved that drastically, they're all foregone conclusions. The only thing that would give weight to a Cotto/Canelo rematch, would be the Cinco De Mayo weekend & a Mexican opponent, to boost revenue.

Only to the individual concerned (and their liver).:smiles:

(Back on topic) Have you seen any footage of Muhammad Ali recently? Sad.

Yes. It is sad. And I see what point you're trying to make, boxing can cause health problems etc etc.

But on the flip side, how many lives, has the sport of boxing saved? Bernard Hopkins, Sonny Liston, Mike Tyson, Sweet Pea, Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Adonis Stevenson. That's just the famous one's off the top of my head. There are literally thousands more, of young kids, destined for a life of crime & ****, but the discipline, confidence & self worth that boxing gives you, has saved their lives.

In addition, prizefighters know the consequences before they step into the ring. For some of them, it is the only logical & feesible way of earning money. You could ban boxing all you want, sure the big Vegas nights would be dead, but the sweet science would never die

EDIT: Oh and lets not forget, the City of Las Vegas, has just had nearly a billion dollars injected into it, due to one night of boxing. Sure, good luck trying to ban it

So is that the reason you would ban the sport?

I used to love watching him box.Look at him now.

Yes. It is sad. And I see what point you're trying to make, boxing can cause health problems etc etc.

But on the flip side, how many lives, has the sport of boxing saved? Bernard Hopkins, Sonny Liston, Mike Tyson, Sweet Pea, Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Adonis Stevenson. That's just the famous one's off the top of my head. There are literally thousands more, of young kids, destined for a life of crime & ****, but the discipline, confidence & self worth that boxing gives you, has saved their lives.

In addition, prizefighters know the consequences before they step into the ring. For some of them, it is the only logical & feesible way of earning money. You could ban boxing all you want, sure the big Vegas nights would be dead, but the sweet science would never die

EDIT: Oh and lets not forget, the City of Las Vegas, has just had nearly a billion dollars injected into it, due to one night of boxing. Sure, good luck trying to ban it

You make some reasonable points.

The final one is of course why boxing will never be banned.As Dylan used to sing "Money doesn't talk.It swears."

Don't be too disheartened with Pac. As I said, he's just lost THE fight of his dreams. His head would have been swimming with mixed emotions & confusion. Give him time to settle down & rewatch the fight & he'll accept it easier. The excuses are just a part of coping with the loss.

If Floyd was out of shape, or dwindling away, I could see the case for retirement now. But on Sunday, he could have gone 15 rounds easily. And this is why, I believe he'll chase & set the 50-0 record. September &, if he does decide to fight for the 50th & final time, it'll be the usual Cinco De Mayo Weekend, next May.Who against, is anyone's guess. He's only got a handful of options though tbh...

Khan - If Khan doesn't take the September Fight, his chance may be gone. He cant afford to wait a year, whilst trying to stay relevent & hoping to get the May gig.

Keith Thurman - still at least 12/18 months away from being ready. He will be a good fighter in a few years, but he doesn't trouble Floyd yet.

Danny Garcia - no thanks. Would be a very dull fight, with Mayweather winning by total shutout.

Kell Brook - couldnt get close enough. Would put up a spirited battle, but would lose by landslide

Golovkin - mouth watering fight. GGG has more chance of sparking Floyd, than Pac did. He's a decent technician aswell, so could close the gap & move Floyd around. I could see Floyd in trouble here, but that's my heart talking, whilst my head says, Floyd stays out of harms way & nicks a close run fight by 3-4 rounds. Of course another stumbling block, is he fact GGG would have to step down in weight, whilst Floyd would have to go up. Can't see this happening at all, but is the best matchup of the lot.

The other choices would all be rematches, and seeing as no-one has improved that drastically, they're all foregone conclusions. The only thing that would give weight to a Cotto/Canelo rematch, would be the Cinco De Mayo weekend & a Mexican opponent, to boost revenue.

Would love to see Mayweather vs GGG but like you said the weight is an issue. Mayweather is looking really good and comfortable at Welterweight he would not want to go up a weight. I see his Dad is saying that jr wants an 'easy' fight with Khan. I honestly think that if this fight happens Khan will be made to look like a real amateur and struggle for work afterwards.

Back