• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mayweather v Pacquiao

haha that's putting it lightly!

Always enjoy these boxing threads (even when there's disagreement (GBJ and Wes, mainly:winking:)) because it's not something I know much about but it's always an interesting read.

Wes is an absolute gent & someone I love debating with. It's a shame he doesn't seem to get involved much anymore.

I see Chris Eubank Jr, is going out to train with Mayweather a month before the event. Think he will learn a lot from Mayweather and hope fully up his game.

GBJ have you heard the ridiculous money they are rumoured to be asking for tickets and for PPV. They reckon it may cost £65! The MGM have sold out all 5000+ of their hotel rooms 15 minutes after the fight was announced.

GBJ have you heard the ridiculous money they are rumoured to be asking for tickets and for PPV. They reckon it may cost £65! The MGM have sold out all 5000+ of their hotel rooms 15 minutes after the fight was announced.

Ive heard VIP ringside seats (which are usually around $10k for Floyd's fights) will go for around $50k. And these seats won't be available to any old millionaire either. you've got to be a somebody to grab these. Back row of the Garden Arena will probably be into the hundreds which would be crap & a complete waste of money IMHO. Furthest Ive ever sat away in that arena, was about halfway (its one giant tier, sort of like the Kop stand) which was ok, but I wouldn't want to be any further back.

Sky, whilst greedy ****s, aren't stupid ****s. There's no way they'll do it at that price. I could see it going anywhere between £17-£25, but that would be the max I'd have thought. With so many HD illegal streams about aswell, who in their right mind would pay £65 to watch it!! The American companies, HBO/Showtime, regularly rip people off with their PPV prices though, so I wouldn't be shocked if they ramped the price right up.

MGM always sells out for big fights, especially Mayweather's. It's incredible they sold out that quick, but totally inevitable. Vegas itself will turn a very nice profit off of this one event. What they also do in Vegas, is sell tickets to watch the fight on, what they call, closed caption. Which is basically a big empty room, (The MGM call these their "Ballrooms", of which they have 2, which can hold about 2000 people in each, IIRC) and put giant screens in there where you can watch the fight. A few hotels in Vegas have these & charge anywhere from $100-$200, for entry.

I can tell you though, there is nothing quite like Vegas, and in particular, The MGM Grand, on fight night. It's truly one of those things you have to see for yourself, to appreciate.

I'd love to go out for a fight out there. Obviously this one is well out of my price range and reach being a nobody. I'm hoping Froch gets his fight out there as I would love to see him fight in Vegas.

Tickets for this are ridiculous. Cheapest tickets will command a four-figure sum. That's scandalous & a slap in the face of the true boxing fans, who spend thousands each year, attending live shows, shelling out on travel, accommodation, tickets, merchandise, etc.

Promotional companies like Top Rank & Showtime, NEED the "hardcore" fans to support their shows, all-year round & keep their businesses going. 99% of those same fans couldn't afford tickets for this. No chance.

So they've basically stuck 2 fingers up at those same fans and said "so what?" It's not surprising, but that doesn't make it right

Bitter? maybe. Still got a ****ing good point? Hell yes

Tickets for this are ridiculous. Cheapest tickets will command a four-figure sum. That's scandalous & a slap in the face of the true boxing fans, who spend thousands each year, attending live shows, shelling out on travel, accommodation, tickets, merchandise, etc.

Promotional companies like Top Rank & Showtime, NEED the "hardcore" fans to support their shows, all-year round & keep their businesses going. 99% of those same fans couldn't afford tickets for this. No chance.

So they've basically stuck 2 fingers up at those same fans and said "so what?" It's not surprising, but that doesn't make it right

Bitter? maybe. Still got a ****ing good point? Hell yes

Just trying to attract the celebs for the camera and the rich people for the money. Always ****es me off when I watch the boxing on TV and I see someone who I know doesn't really have an interest in boxing in the front couple of rows.

Same with the F1 and the celebs in the pit lane, one year I went to Silverstone and my dads company were supplying the helicopters into the ground for ITV, it was when they have the coverage. David Jason was one of the guests really nice guy but didn't know a thing about F1 all he wanted to talk about was Tennis and yet he gets a grid walk. And don't even get me started on Trevor McDonald!

Like you say GBJ it's a big two fingers up to all true dedicated boxing fans. Those that don't earn the mega bucks but would pull everything together to go to a fight like this now don't have the chance. Shame, Sky and all those sorts of companies ruining all sports.

haha that's putting it lightly!

Always enjoy these boxing threads (even when there's disagreement (GBJ and Wes, mainly:winking:)) because it's not something I know much about but it's always an interesting read.

Same! You can always rely on there being really good analysis from both GBJ and Wes.

By all accounts you have to provide confirmation that you have at least $250k wealth before you can even be entered into the ballot for the first 16 or so rows of the fight (accordingly to Steve Bunce anyway).

Wes is an absolute gent & someone I love debating with. It's a shame he doesn't seem to get involved much anymore.

Haha, thank you my friend.

For arguments (and old times) sake, I'm gonna fight the corner of The Pacman, just to open up the debate, not because that's where my money will be.

The biggest argument for Pacman winning is actually the wrong one. Everyone says he has the punching power to beat Mayweather, but as GBJ rightly says, he hasn't stopped a fighter since Cotto five years ago. And we've seen with Maidana, Hatton and Canelo (And taking that fight is proof that Mayweather isn’t afraid of opponents or losing his 0) try and turn up and bully Mayweather, with zero success. You do that, and Mayweather stands off, allows the fighter some degree of success whilst picking his shots, landing few, expending little energy. Fans get excited as they perceive this as genuine success, and once he has them worked out, and considerably fatigued them from all the pressing and missed punches, he’ll step up the second half of the fight and pick his opponents off and cruise to victory. To a degree, the stalk and high punch rate is Paqcuiao’s style. He likes to walk down his opponents and cut the ring off, landing regular heavy shots. He has an unorthodox awkward style as well, it makes him difficult to hit (normally). Having a single game plan in place against him isn't going to work, because he won't be the same one fighter throughout the bout. He has more ringmanship than Maidana, more experience than Canelo, and more craftsmanship than our Ricky. Mayweather sitting and trying to get the measure of Pacman won’t work, because Pacman’s style changes throughout the fight. He’s got the distance in him as well, and he does still have power, and the endurance to land heavy shots late on. He’s not the fighter he once was, and has probably deteriorated more so than Mayweather, but everyone writing this off as a simple Mayweather points victory could be in for a very pleasant surprise.

#TeamPacman

Edit: For the record, as much as I deride him and dislike him, I still firmly believe that Khan would be the most dangerous opponent for Mayweather right now.

For arguments (and old times) sake, I'm gonna fight the corner of The Pacman, just to open up the debate, not because that's where my money will be.

The biggest argument for Pacman winning is actually the wrong one. Everyone says he has the punching power to beat Mayweather, but as GBJ rightly says, he hasn't stopped a fighter since Cotto five years ago. And we've seen with Maidana, Hatton and Canelo (And taking that fight is proof that Mayweather isn’t afraid of opponents or losing his 0) try and turn up and bully Mayweather, with zero success. You do that, and Mayweather stands off, allows the fighter some degree of success whilst picking his shots, landing few, expending little energy. Fans get excited as they perceive this as genuine success, and once he has them worked out, and considerably fatigued them from all the pressing and missed punches, he’ll step up the second half of the fight and pick his opponents off and cruise to victory. To a degree, the stalk and high punch rate is Paqcuiao’s style. He likes to walk down his opponents and cut the ring off, landing regular heavy shots. He has an unorthodox awkward style as well, it makes him difficult to hit (normally). Having a single game plan in place against him isn't going to work, because he won't be the same one fighter throughout the bout. He has more ringmanship than Maidana, more experience than Canelo, and more craftsmanship than our Ricky. Mayweather sitting and trying to get the measure of Pacman won’t work, because Pacman’s style changes throughout the fight. He’s got the distance in him as well, and he does still have power, and the endurance to land heavy shots late on. He’s not the fighter he once was, and has probably deteriorated more so than Mayweather, but everyone writing this off as a simple Mayweather points victory could be in for a very pleasant surprise.

#TeamPacman

Edit: For the record, as much as I deride him and dislike him, I still firmly believe that Khan would be the most dangerous opponent for Mayweather right now.

I'm with you in Pacquiao's corner but I have disagree I think a Khan vs Mayweather fight would be another embarrassing fight on the books of Kahn who seems to have so many chances. Why do you think he would be his biggest danger because from what I've seen of him he has a glass jaw and all he has going for him is his speed.

I'm with you in Pacquiao's corner but I have disagree I think a Khan vs Mayweather fight would be another embarrassing fight on the books of Kahn who seems to have so many chances. Why do you think he would be his biggest danger because from what I've seen of him he has a glass jaw and all he has going for him is his speed.

Before I start, I'm not saying Khan would definitely win, just that he's Mayweather most dangerous opponent. My money would still be on FMJ. In hindsight, that may be a doing Danny Garcia a little disservice, although I do think Khan's style is better suited to causing Mayweather trouble.

1) His speed, Mayweather relies on fighters coming at him and pressing, this allows him to fight off the back foot and pick opponents off. Because Khan's speed is his biggest asset, it enables him to duck in and out of range, landing punches in bunches and stepping out, you can't box off the back foot against someone like that, it removes one of Mayweathers biggest assets.
2) Khan's style allows him to nick rounds, the flurry of punches looks exciting, gives you opportunity to land and impresses judges. You do this a couple of times per round, against a defensive fighter, particularly towards the end, and you can steal rounds without working too hard - very important for someone that struggles with endurance.
3) Khan has Vegas clout. He may not be popular on these shores, but he is a big draw in the states. They like him there, he sells tickets there, and he is big in Vegas. This is massive when it comes to scorecards. We all know how the cards favour champions and home fighters, and this is never truer than with Mayweather. Khan's one of the few fighters who holds enough sway in Vegas to temper that favoritism, somewhat anyway, coupled with his style in the ring; he's far better suited to winning rounds than anyone else around, in my opinion.

It's funny you mention his chin, because whilst suspect, it's probably not his weakest attribute, that would be his arrogance fueled ill-discipline, which obviously exposes his chin. It's when he thinks he's a fighter, not a boxer, he takes risks and exposes himself and other weakness. The other aspect he'd need to work on, is his ability to last the distance, he's notoriously laborious in the latter rounds, he should of been counted out against Maidana when he wouldn't stand let alone fight (a fight that's lauded amongst his greatest achievements, oddly). This is natural for a fighter that uses speed and a large number of punches, but he needs to master that.

He does have a lot of chances, and I do dislike him immensely, he's won fights he shouldn't have (Maidana) and been embarrassed on a number of occasions; but he does have victories against Malignaggi, Barrera, Maidana (despite what I think about it), McCloskey and Judah. and his last victory against Alexander was very good. So he does deserve to be around the elite, even if he is a grade A nob.

Before I start, I'm not saying Khan would definitely win, just that he's Mayweather most dangerous opponent. My money would still be on FMJ. In hindsight, that may be a doing Danny Garcia a little disservice, although I do think Khan's style is better suited to causing Mayweather trouble.

1) His speed, Mayweather relies on fighters coming at him and pressing, this allows him to fight off the back foot and pick opponents off. Because Khan's speed is his biggest asset, it enables him to duck in and out of range, landing punches in bunches and stepping out, you can't box off the back foot against someone like that, it removes one of Mayweathers biggest assets.
2) Khan's style allows him to nick rounds, the flurry of punches looks exciting, gives you opportunity to land and impresses judges. You do this a couple of times per round, against a defensive fighter, particularly towards the end, and you can steal rounds without working too hard - very important for someone that struggles with endurance.
3) Khan has Vegas clout. He may not be popular on these shores, but he is a big draw in the states. They like him there, he sells tickets there, and he is big in Vegas. This is massive when it comes to scorecards. We all know how the cards favour champions and home fighters, and this is never truer than with Mayweather. Khan's one of the few fighters who holds enough sway in Vegas to temper that favoritism, somewhat anyway, coupled with his style in the ring; he's far better suited to winning rounds than anyone else around, in my opinion.

It's funny you mention his chin, because whilst suspect, it's probably not his weakest attribute, that would be his arrogance fueled ill-discipline, which obviously exposes his chin. It's when he thinks he's a fighter, not a boxer, he takes risks and exposes himself and other weakness. The other aspect he'd need to work on, is his ability to last the distance, he's notoriously laborious in the latter rounds, he should of been counted out against Maidana when he wouldn't stand let alone fight (a fight that's lauded amongst his greatest achievements, oddly). This is natural for a fighter that uses speed and a large number of punches, but he needs to master that.

He does have a lot of chances, and I do dislike him immensely, he's won fights he shouldn't have (Maidana) and been embarrassed on a number of occasions; but he does have victories against Malignaggi, Barrera, Maidana (despite what I think about it), McCloskey and Judah. and his last victory against Alexander was very good. So he does deserve to be around the elite, even if he is a grade A nob.

Great argument and like you I can't stand the bloke, but I have to agree his fight against Alexander was definitely one of his better fights. He is an arrogant fighter and I think his arrogance against Mayweather would cause him to come unstuck. He honestly thought he was going to fight Mayweather when they started talking about a possible fight with Mayweather and Pacquiao, as popular in Vegas as he may be the crowd would much rather see this fight than a fight against Khan. I think Khan needs to fight Kell Brook and prove that he does have the credentials to fight someone like Mayweather and Pacquaio.

Great argument and like you I can't stand the bloke, but I have to agree his fight against Alexander was definitely one of his better fights. He is an arrogant fighter and I think his arrogance against Mayweather would cause him to come unstuck. He honestly thought he was going to fight Mayweather when they started talking about a possible fight with Mayweather and Pacquiao, as popular in Vegas as he may be the crowd would much rather see this fight than a fight against Khan. I think Khan needs to fight Kell Brook and prove that he does have the credentials to fight someone like Mayweather and Pacquaio.

Totally agree, and my money would be on Mayweather too. Khan would have to be pitch perfect and he doesn't have the discipline, but he'd cause him problems, more so than anyone else.

And yes, yes, yes, because Brook's power and accuracy would win this one. Which equals another Khan Bambi impression. which equals a very happy Blue_Wes, Ricey, et al.

Totally agree, and my money would be on Mayweather too. Khan would have to be pitch perfect and he doesn't have the discipline, but he'd cause him problems, more so than anyone else.

And yes, yes, yes, because Brook's power and accuracy would win this one. Which equals another Khan Bambi impression. which equals a very happy Blue_Wes, Ricey, et al.

It's interesting how boxing isn't necessarily transitive. Like Brook would probably be favourite vs Khan, but then I can get behind Wes' argument that Khan would be the better fighter (compared to Brook) against FMJ.

#TeamPacman

Wes is back!! :happy:

Interesting insight, and one that can't be discounted. That being said, for anything other than a Mayweather points win, Pac will have to roll back the years & put on a display, as good as, if not better than his performances against Cotto & ODLH (which are his two best ever, IMHO)

I believe that fully. This version of Pac cannot beat Floyd. He has the proverbial tools, but they're just not sharp enough anymore. Remember Pac dismantling & breaking ODLH's heart? He hasn't had that same tenacity over the last few outings. The Pac that fought Oscar, would have cleared Algeri out fairly easily. It wouldn't have gone past 8. But the current, older, version of Pac, didnt have that ability to break Algeri's heart, despite putting him down numerous times. Same with Bradley & Bam Bam Rios, where that killer edge, has not been there.

Pac has got the tools. IMHO, they're not sharp enough to cause Floyd any real danger. He's a thinker, who reads the situation better than anyone, and can adapt, as per the requirements. The only thin he'd really struggle with, is the sheer tenacity of the old Pac. So what happens in this bout, depends on whether Pac, against all odds, can one last time, summon up that incredible performance, which made him one of the greatest P4P fighters in the world, just a few years ago.

For what it's worth, I couldn't care less who wins this. I wana go into detail about the possibility of this fight being a complete flop, but haven't got the time atm. But I will later today/tonight, as I think that's a very real outcome

Think we need to start a boxing thread because I'd love to know GBJ and wes your thoughts about this weekends bout with Fury and Hammer. They also have Eubank jr vs Chudinov on the undercard which looks like it could be a good fight.

Think we need to start a boxing thread because I'd love to know GBJ and wes your thoughts about this weekends bout with Fury and Hammer. They also have Eubank jr vs Chudinov on the undercard which looks like it could be a good fight.

Im sure we had a general boxing thread somewhere in the all-sports forum, but it pretty much died?

Anyway, yep, I'll say briefly what I think about both, but go into more detail later....

Fury - Hammer, one of those fights we're told "it's a risk", where in actual fact it's not. It's a pretty safe, keep busy, practice a few new things, fight. Although, with Tyson, you're never quite sure I suppose. Fury should win at a canter, stoppage 6-8.

Eubank Jr, can't see him losing. Should be a straightforward workout, even though his opponent does come with a decent reputation. If the loss to BJS hasn't affected him too much, I'd expect a possible late stoppage, but likely points win for Eubank.

Few other boxing view points from myself, which are bound to get Wes incensed :)

- AJ is overrated & is getting banged as soon as he goes up against a proper fighter.
- Hughie Fury (Tyson's younger cousin) is the future. This kid is mustard
- Joseph Parker is one of the biggest prospects in HW boxing atm, if him and AJ meet, it'll be carnage
- Frampton (who fights this weekend) dismantles Quigg (if they ever meet) brutally

Im sure we had a general boxing thread somewhere in the all-sports forum, but it pretty much died?

Anyway, yep, I'll say briefly what I think about both, but go into more detail later....

Fury - Hammer, one of those fights we're told "it's a risk", where in actual fact it's not. It's a pretty safe, keep busy, practice a few new things, fight. Although, with Tyson, you're never quite sure I suppose. Fury should win at a canter, stoppage 6-8.

Eubank Jr, can't see him losing. Should be a straightforward workout, even though his opponent does come with a decent reputation. If the loss to BJS hasn't affected him too much, I'd expect a possible late stoppage, but likely points win for Eubank.

Few other boxing view points from myself, which are bound to get Wes incensed :)

- AJ is overrated & is getting banged as soon as he goes up against a proper fighter.
- Hughie Fury (Tyson's younger cousin) is the future. This kid is mustard
- Joseph Parker is one of the biggest prospects in HW boxing atm, if him and AJ meet, it'll be carnage
- Frampton (who fights this weekend) dismantles Quigg (if they ever meet) brutally

I'm just waiting for Mrs Blue_Wes to get my angry pants, before I respond to this....

Ps: Pacman / FMJ - I remember the last time you firmly believed in the outcome of a highly anticipated and hotly contested bout. :net:

Back