• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

McCain picks Sarah Palin for running mate

loz

President
BBC

Female to pick up the disenchanted Hilary fans, younger than Obama to counter McCain's age, social conservative to appease the religious right. I'm no fan of the Republicans, but you have to admire their political minds on occasion.

I really don't care who the yanks elect but have got to say, this could be a masterstroke. Clinton was the women vote winner and could be a own goal for Obama by not making her his running mate. McCann's camp has obviously seen this and have acted accordingly. This presidential race might just of got interesting.

Definitely a sound tactical choice, and appeals to my Conservative instincts. He should have gone for Fred Thompson though. That dude puts the fun and the mental in fundamental.

If Obama doesn't win this then we can kiss our collective arses goodbye. Voting for McCain will be the stupidist thing America has ever done.

She's only been a Governor for 2 years? And in ALASKA! Cynical ploy to get the women voters on board I'd say. I do think Obama missed a trick in not having Clinton as a running mate, however much I detest her, but I honestly think this is sewn up for him.

She's only been a Governor for 2 years? And in ALASKA! Cynical ploy to get the women voters on board I'd say. I do think Obama missed a trick in not having Clinton as a running mate, however much I detest her, but I honestly think this is sewn up for him.

I thought that McCain would have gone for someone with more experience like Obama has done with Joe Biden.

I think Obama has done exactly the right thing in not choosing Hillary Clinton. The arrogance of the Clintons in assuming that she was an absolute shoo in for the Presidency was breathtaking, and in office as VP she would be an absolute liability to Obama IMO. Furthermore under the veneer of supporting Obama she will want McCain to win so she can run in 2012.

At the moment and taking into account the current polls this is to close to call.

Last edited:
I thought that McCain would have gone for someone with more experience line Obama has done with Joe Biden.

I think Obama has done exactly the right thing in not choosing Hillary Clinton. The arrogance of the Clintons in assuming that she was an absolute shoo in for the Presidency was breathtaking, and in office as VP she would be an absolute liability to Obama IMO. Furthermore under the veneer of supporting Obama she will want McCain to win so she can run in 2012.

At the moment and taking into account the current polls this is to close to call.

Appreciate that Harry, wouldn't trust her at all, but still think he's missed a trick.

Time will tell Kay, I guess there's loads of bullet headed feminists who will jump the Democratic ship as she hasn't got the VP ticket.

I can't understand that. They'd vote for a President who would drag America deeper into wars they have no place being in just because Hilary C is not on the ticket? Surely they should vote for the Democratic Party, not for the man at the top!

I can't understand that. They'd vote for a President who would drag America deeper into wars they have no place being in just because Hilary C is not on the ticket? Surely they should vote for the Democratic Party, not for the man at the top!

It does defy logic somewhat, but I have some friends out there and a lot of the women are hopping made that Mrs C didn't get the ticket for the presidency let alone the potential VP ticket. TBH I'm really not sure about John McCain he certainly isn't as beholding to big business as George Bush, but.....

I thought that McCain would have gone for someone with more experience line Obama has done with Joe Biden.

I personally think the above is pretty close to the mark. Not sure I agree entirely that HC will want McCain to win, however I can see the rational behind it. If you love your country (which a President should) then you want the country going in the right direction, with or without you.

I've just spent the past 3 weeks in the US, and the amount of interest in it is amazing. I mean, I know elections are big things, especially in the states, but it is absolutely immense over there and still over two months to go !

Personally not really a fan of Hiliary, and think she uses the female vote too much to be considered an equal. But she did run a close race, and to be honest it wasn't just her being female that made her a popular with many of the voters. A big factor was obviously Bill Clinton, who is worshipped as a god by many people over there. I have to even admit, that his speech on Wednesday night was immense. Gordon Brown should take note. In fact it's speeches like that which should be played in our schools to show kids exactly how to stand up and deliver a clear message whatever it is about.

I personally quite like Barack. Think he has real character, which is unusual for most people in politics! With the way many are struggling in the US at the moment, with the family man & working man background he could potentially swing a lot of voters. Especially if things get even worse on the home front. Obama's health care plans could also be pivotal. I didn't quite realise how expensive it was until recently. And people moan about the NHS !!

McCain has made a brave choice IMO. Personally think it could easily backfire on him though with the public seeing through him. However as always in politics, it could totally swing in the opposite direction!! It's so close now, but I think in a couple of weeks one or the other will take a slim lead after the VP choices have settled into the minds of the American public.

I'm not usually really a fan of politics, however I've taken an interest in this campaign and it'll certainly be interesting as to where it goes after the Republicians convention next week!

Voting for McCain will be the stupidist thing America has ever done.
I dont think most Americans will agree. Voting for the first Black president will to a lot of Americans mean they will never see a white President again. I would be very surprised if he gets in.

A Ladbrokes customer had £100 at 33/1 on Palin to be McCain's running mate, back in June. I haven't looked at the fieldbook yet, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was username j_mccain....

McCain will get in IMO. It's a mighty shame because i feel America needs to change and Obama has could be the man to change America. I just think the Americans will bottle it and vote McCain because A) Republicans have been in power a damn sight more than the democrats over the years and B) he is white.

Back