• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

McLaughlin's effectiveness

Shrimper

Life President
So, we've had a rough start to the season but one player who has struggled for a while, even before Bond joined, is McLaughlin. As a winger you'd hope they'd be involved in the play by creating assists and chances for the strikers to take and also to chip in with a few goals a year. 5-10 say. However, it is clear that McLaughlin has been poor for a while. He hasn't scored since December 5th, 2018 in the EFL Cup against Luton. In the league he hasn't scored since September 8th 2018 against our next opponents, Peterborough. He had 3 goals in total last year.

What about assists I hear you ask?

Well according to the stats, he recorded a single assist last year across 38 games. He has yet to record one this season. For the amount of wages he is on, that isn't anywhere near good enough. What can Southend do? Personally, I'd just look to see if you can loan him out. He isn't good enough and a move would possibly be good for him. Failing that, try selling to clear the wages and bring someone in to replace him.

What would you guys do then? It's clear he isn't good enough and doesn't offer anything.

Bizarre what's happened to him because he was a regular contributor in terms of goals a few years ago.

Really bad stats and backed up when watching him. Has to be better than him and we need our best starting eleven on the pitch.

I said he's gone at the game last season. You won't find a winger in the Leagues with worse stats than that. I can't remember when he last put the ball on a plate for a main striker, that's his job. It's not like he's making up for it in other area's, it's the opposite, things are meant to happen when a winger gets the ball, but a lot of our attacks are breaking down when the ball reaches him. I think he needs a new challenge and a fresh start. We all know how good he can be at his best, but that was ages ago. Perhaps another club or manager can get more out of him.

I love McLaughlin, he is a super player. But, he is obviously struggling with form and with injury, maybe both. For his own sake, a loan may be the answer - to give him game time away from the negativity around our club at the moment, and to help rebuild confidence.

I note that the decline really started when Brown started increasing asking him to track back and defend much more. Whilst he did this, somewhere along the line all his creativity deserted him. Its a crying shame, because the Stephen at his best is exactly what we need now!

A woeful player.He should not be considered for team selection. I think this is his last year of a very generous contract. Bye-bye,if not before the season is over.

I have wondered whats caused his form to plummet. Last week Kightly came out saying how fragile confidence can be even if your are a professional.

I thought getting married and having a baby would be a catalyst - those win, goal or assist bonuses equal pound notes for your family - and we'd see the motivated winger that PB signed but that hasn't materialised.

I have wondered whats caused his form to plummet. Last week Kightly came out saying how fragile confidence can be even if your are a professional.

I thought getting married and having a baby would be a catalyst - those win, goal or assist bonuses equal pound notes for your family - and we'd see the motivated winger that PB signed but that hasn't materialised.

Yep. Everyone needs a helping hand and an arm round them. Even professional sports people.

They’re our heroes but they’re vulnerable out there! Peoples lives aren’t always what you think they are.

I never understand why some people think footballers are fair game. They’re not. At the end of the day if you did everything right for 20 passes and the opposition also did everything right. Then you’ve been cancelled out.

Must. Be. More. Consciousness. When watching the game... or maybe some people like feeling angry as it’s familiar to ‘em. I dunno.

Let’s make Macca feel loved with songs from the terraces. Let’s see how far it goes... why not? What we got to lose?

He is a good player who is has been playing abysmally bad for a long time.

He looks disinterested and lightweight.

Sometimes players just need a change of club to get going again. SM appears to be at that point.

I did meet Macca and O’Neill in Gentings one night way back and he is pleasant enough but his personality didn’t shine through. Maybe he misses his mate? I did get the sense he was very quiet and could be hard to get going. Was always a favourite player of mine as his left peg can be mighty, but I’m not sure his heart is in it anymore.

I think he is a good player … and he does not hide.

A couple of goals and he will be back to form and deadly again - remember he has been playing in a unsuccessful team for 2 years ..

The Roots Hall unhappy lives moaner brigade love to turn on one of their own and are obviously scouting around for someone to focus their malice on … ;-)

I think he is a good player … and he does not hide.

A couple of goals and he will be back to form and deadly again - remember he has been playing in a unsuccessful team for 2 years ..

The Roots Hall unhappy lives moaner brigade love to turn on one of their own and are obviously scouting around for someone to focus their malice on … ;-)

You know every club is like this! It’s not just a thing at Roots Hall, Southend United fans or ShrimperZone. All clubs have a moan, all clubs have scapegoats and all clubs go through this phase when it’s not going well.

This is football, fans are very fickle in our sport.

Reminds me of Kevan Hurst who once we gave him a 2 year contract, his form went down the pan and he was never the same player again. Macca used to be one of our best players, but I can't remember when I last saw him contribute anything to a game, quite sad really.

Another who's struggled to find form after injury, don't forget he was out for quite a long spell. A very decent player in there, we've seen him tear people apart. Would love him to prove the doubters wrong. Anyone know if we employ a sports psychologist on a permanent basis ? With our injury list over the last couple of years it could be money well spent to get these lads fired up again.

Back